Norwegian Escape - Hurricane Matthew

Zeprider

Gas is already gone from some of the stations on the east coast, and the west coast hotels are filling up from news reports. 1.5 million floridians are under evacuation orders. I'm not sure where the person saying Miami is not going to get hit lives in FL, but this storm is very large. Miami is under an orange warning which is a hurricane watch. Most of the peninsula of FL is under a tropical storm watch to hurricane warning and will have some effects from this storm in rain and high winds. Those of us who escaped Charley b/c it took a quick turn lower than expected know how quickly a storm's track can change; so, I would be very wary of saying that Miami was going to be safe and fine and/or even trying to drive in to get to any of the ports. I hope that the track veers east and all of FL will be left alone, but with a storm this strong, I would recommend playing it safe.

I have a room in south Georgia tonight and a reservation in Miami for Friday so I have a place to stay if I get there.

I have a large gas can and several gallons of water along with food if I get stuck for a while.

I plan to make the call Friday morning if I can proceed to Miami and stop for gas every chance I get below 1/2 a tank.

I'm not just going into this with no concerns but I have quite a bit invested in this trip so I am going to make every effort to safely get there.

I have a room in south Georgia tonight and a reservation in Miami for Friday so I have a place to stay if I get there.

I have a large gas can and several gallons of water along with food if I get stuck for a while.

I plan to make the call Friday morning if I can proceed to Miami and stop for gas every chance I get below 1/2 a tank.

I'm not just going into this with no concerns but I have quite a bit invested in this trip so I am going to make every effort to safely get there.

Enjoy...be safe!

I will never forget Charley i went threw the eye of a cat 4 150mph winds

Us, too. There were three big storms that year. The year after, Katrina, just missed us. I went out during the eye of Charley to look at the damage and then ran back into our closet.:o

Many hurricanes since Andrew.

FYI--Hubby just flew out of Orlando for business and said it is a MADHOUSE and gate attendants told them they are shutting the airport down at 5 pm today.

Frontier shows a long list of flights cancelled, most through Orlando. I know that Delta has cancelled some Orlando flights too. Hope all can travel safely to where you need to be.

With that nasty loop it might do--some models have it swinging right back through Miami next week--starting to wonder about my 10/15 sailing as well.

I was thinking about that as well. However, our local forecasters (who I trust more than the national), said they believed it would be a shadow of its former self, having gone through wind shear, etc., and would be, at most, a tropical storm or even just a depression. The only thing that would worry me, if I were a resident of that area, is if I had sustained any damage to my roof with more rain approaching.

I'm not even going to think about that now.

I've lived in Florida most of my life and I recommend you not drive to Miami. You are on the road with evacuees and this is a massive and destructive storm. Personal safety for yourself and others should take priority.

NCL should really offer booked passengers (insurance or no) an opportunity to move to another date without penalty. No, they don't have to do it, but with this killer storm, they should.

Just called my sister who lives in Fort Lauderdale .... BIL still deciding if they should board up the windows:o

There are some in every storm. :rolleyes: They are the ones we read about on the news needing rescued and such. Some people never learn.

I've lived in Florida most of my life and I recommend you not drive to Miami. You are on the road with evacuees and this is a massive and destructive storm. Personal safety for yourself and others should take priority.

NCL should really offer booked passengers (insurance or no) an opportunity to move to another date without penalty. No, they don't have to do it, but with this killer storm, they should.

I have to agree. We went through Katrina and for several days the roads if passable for open for emergency personal only. Because my husband had an emergency id from the hospital where he worked we could travel and get home. We arrived home to many trees down, damaged roof, no electricity, etc. We were among the lucky our home could be repaired and we were safe. Yes, it was hot, gas difficult to find and the National Guard in the grocery stores making sure people were not hoarding what little food was available

A few days after we got home (husband living at hospital) my brother-inlaw died. My husband very much wanted to go to the funeral but it was impossible. There were no flights and so many roads impassable that it was impossible for him to go.

I can understand why you wish to try, but it will be very difficult if not impossible.

Hope all goes well for everyone and NCL responds with compassion and flexibility.

There are some in every storm. :rolleyes: They are the ones we read about on the news needing rescued and such. Some people never learn.

Yup, I have a girlfriend who had a house in NJ on a tip water lot. During Superstorm Sandy (not even a hurricane), they decided to stay put. The water came over their seawall and took out a wall. They went upstairs and tied themselves to the bed. They called emergency and they would not come out during the height of the storm (and they won't). House was totaled.

Somehow they survived.

We're supposed to be on the 10/8 Escape leaving Miami. I'm pretty disappointed in NCL's information and the general idea that the ship will sail no matter what. So if the airport is closed? who cares. Right now the port of Miami is closed up and they don't mention anything like it on their website. I looked over at RCCL's website and it explains what's going on and the port closures and that they are banking they will be open. What they don't seem to give a care about is how anyone is supposed to make it to the port to get on the ship. It was going to be a nice easy drive from Atlanta with a stop in the middle of the night. Now, it's looking like it could be a 40hr bumper to bumper, running out of gasoline fest. And funny thing is they are still saying the Friday's boat is still sailing. No word at all about the port being closed or anything. They are literally trying to bring people into a freaking hurricane zone. And to all the people who see the projected track and boldly say it's not hitting Miami, IT'S A PREDICTION! Hurricanes rarely follow the weatherman's advice on which route to take.

There's thousands and thousands of people evacuating the coastal areas in multiple states. You've sunk $ into your vacation and I know you hate to miss it, but you're going against a very strong flow to achieve this goal. Please take this hurricane seriously and reconsider your motivations vs the risk and impact of your journey to the coast.

FYI I know this isn't Florida, but I-16 Eastbound in Georgia, from just east of Macon to Savannah, is closed, it is all westbound traffic to aid evacuation.

I think we will. This is our kid's fall break this coming week. AND we flew my Mother in law down from Toronto for her first cruise. What a screw up to have your first cruise eh? I'm so thankful our first cruise was so great it really made us want to cruise at least once a year.

However it also means more responsibility in not getting stuck in some scene from MAD MAX with grandma having to endure it either. I'm not so sure she could handle sleeping in the van when we run out of gas or can't find a hotel. But she'll be here at least 2 weeks so I guess it's worth a shot. Thanks for the suggestion. It's upsetting when your whole vacation is more stressful than what you were trying to escape.

Edited to include: yes I-16 is now contraflow. I-75 where I live South of Atlanta is bumper to bumper going Northbound with over 2hrs to go 20 miles. Plan on it being like that for the whole time. It's all under construction too so that adds even more to the problems.

Edited by drdoct

I am scheduled on Saturdays sailing on Escape. I've just tried to reach my Cruise representative, and all I can get is a recording from my repr stating their office is closed due to the storm.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

South Florida should probably know by Friday what impact this storm will have made. It may be very congested as people return to the coast, but you may be able to make the drive Friday / Saturday. Best of luck to those who make the attempt.

We have flights from Nashville to FLL Friday night. We have a 2 /12 drive to get to Nashville. If the flight isn't cancelled, which I think it will be, all of the flights on Saturday and Sunday are booked. I doubt we'll be able to get to the ship. But, at least I'm not stuck in Florida!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums