Time to cruise again. Koningsdam

hal lover

Well here I am back on the board. I finally have booked a cruise after almost 4 years of not. My DH passed away a year ago and I finally decided that it would be ok. 21 night, back to back on the Ms. Koningsdam. Am looking forward to cruising on the newest of HAL fleet. Any suggestions?

Good for you! Back to cruising. I, too, have lost my DH and will be cruising solo on the Koningsdam this December. I think both of us are showing a lot of courage to resume cruising. I wish you a happy time and new experiences.

Good for you! Back to cruising. I, too, have lost my DH and will be cruising solo on the Koningsdam this December. I think both of us are showing a lot of courage to resume cruising. I wish you a happy time and new experiences.

Thank you for your kindness! I wish for you to have a wonderful time on your cruise as well! Getting somewhat back to life after losing your spouse is draining and I am hoping for a relaxed time out.

Well here I am back on the board. I finally have booked a cruise after almost 4 years of not. My DH passed away a year ago and I finally decided that it would be ok. 21 night, back to back on the Ms. Koningsdam. Am looking forward to cruising on the newest of HAL fleet. Any suggestions?

I am always impressed anytime I see someone traveling or attending an activity "alone" for whatever reason. So, for you (or anyone) to do it after losing a spouse is such a credit to your strength and resilience. You asked if we had suggestions, it seems that we should be asking you for suggestions. Also, my comment about being "alone" is way off base. You will be on a Dam ship - back with your HAL family and friends. Yes, it is going to be different this cruise and maybe you are a bit worried about certain aspects. That is understandable but somehow I hope you feel comfortable interacting and participating in various activities. Have you looked for your sailings Roll Call yet? Posting your return here on the main board is great and maybe joining the roll call would be another way to continue on with your return to cruising.

So glad you are feeling ready and are looking forward to returning to cruising.

Enjoy!

My deepest sympathies on your loss. It's hard. Are you sailing alone, or with friends? That makes a difference. I'll answer based on my experience of being alone.

Boarding that ship alone can be a little intimidating. But as someone who has walked in those shoes, I promise you that it will get easier each time. You will have some really good times, and some other times when you just want to retreat to your cabin. Down time is good. And necessary.

It can be tough, after having someone to lean on all those years, to get out there. Just do it. Go to Trivia, or other games you enjoy. Sit at the bar and join in, rather than sit alone at a cocktail table. Be prepared to start conversations rolling. Don't be afraid to find a seat next to someone at the show; ask if the seat is taken, and strike up a little chat. Same thing at the Lido tables---ask if a vacant seat at a larger table is taken, and join in with the people there.

It doesn't take long before you are running into the same people again, and you have someone to share with. Just be open to others; you have to be the one to reach out.

You can do this. Have a good time.

My deepest sympathies on your loss. It's hard. Are you sailing alone, or with friends? That makes a difference. I'll answer based on my experience of being alone.

Boarding that ship alone can be a little intimidating. But as someone who has walked in those shoes, I promise you that it will get easier each time. You will have some really good times, and some other times when you just want to retreat to your cabin. Down time is good. And necessary.

It can be tough, after having someone to lean on all those years, to get out there. Just do it. Go to Trivia, or other games you enjoy. Sit at the bar and join in, rather than sit alone at a cocktail table. Be prepared to start conversations rolling. Don't be afraid to find a seat next to someone at the show; ask if the seat is taken, and strike up a little chat. Same thing at the Lido tables---ask if a vacant seat at a larger table is taken, and join in with the people there.

It doesn't take long before you are running into the same people again, and you have someone to share with. Just be open to others; you have to be the one to reach out.

What a wonderful post, Ruth. I am not alone, but if the time were to come, I will remember your wise advice.

Agree with Ruth's wonderful suggestions. I wanted to add that there is a singles meet and greet early in cruise so find out when it is and go to that. Our last cruise we met a solo woman who had met several women there and they kind of hung out the rest of the cruise and seemed to become great friends. Also, try to find an evening venue you like (i.e BB King Club, Piano Bar, etc) and return every nite. You will start to recognize some of the same people each evening - strike up a conversation. Just be talkative, like Ruth says, and most people will respond in kind. Have a great time.

Jane

Very good advice from the heart, Ruth. I will also keep it in mind and share it with my DW as well.

I too am sorry for your loss, hal lover. And glad that you are back cruising!