Parents' first cruise

danielundecided

Hi,

My wife's parents are looking at their first cruise holiday - they usually stay on the south coast on numerous 3/4 night holidays a year.

They could either go on a 7 night cruise, 9/10 night cruise or a 4 night cruise. I know 2 night cruises can be ridden with people aiming to get as drunk as possible and can make the ship rather unpleasant.

My questions are;

- Would you have a high chance get those people on a 4 or 2 night cruise on Oriana?? I know you'll find them whichever cruise you go on but obviously some cruises will have more than their fair share.

- In late November/Early December, just HOW bumpy should Oceana be in the sea and how great should the weather be around Gibraltar? We've been on her before to the Med in May once and she was horrendously bouncy - if it's my parents in law's first cruise I don't want to put them off.

-Same as above but for Late October.

Thanks a lot

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by danielundecided

Hi,

My wife's parents are looking at their first cruise holiday - they usually stay on the south coast on numerous 3/4 night holidays a year.

They could either go on a 7 night cruise, 9/10 night cruise or a 4 night cruise. I know 2 night cruises can be ridden with people aiming to get as drunk as possible and can make the ship rather unpleasant.

My questions are;

- Would you have a high chance get those people on a 4 or 2 night cruise on Oriana?? I know you'll find them whichever cruise you go on but obviously some cruises will have more than their fair share.

- In late November/Early December, just HOW bumpy should Oceana be in the sea and how great should the weather be around Gibraltar? We've been on her before to the Med in May once and she was horrendously bouncy - if it's my parents in law's first cruise I don't want to put them off.

Thanks a lot

Dan

May one steer you away from P&O to Cunard. The Cunard best deal at the moment is http://www.cunard.co.uk/cruise-search/book-a-cruise/cruises/qv/1870-v619-sou1-sou2/

But if restricted to 9/10 night then consider extending to 12 nights with

http://www.cunard.co.uk/cruise-search/book-a-cruise/cruises/qv/1866-v618-rom1-sou1/

Think parents would like the Cunard experience :)

Hi,

My questions are;

Thanks a lot

Dan

Personally I wouldn't do Oceana for my first cruise as she's probably the ship in he fleet in the worst condition. I've done a 4-dayer on Ventura and although there were large groups they were mainly family groups celebrating a birthday etc rather than stags and hens. We're 'mature couple' and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves - but we are regular cruisers. I think a 7 day cruise is the best to give them a flavour of cruising. They'd probably have a sea day included and it won't be too much sailing if they didn't like it.

I wouldn't do Cunard. If they're used to doing short breaks on the South Coast they might want a more relaxed feel but still traditional like Oriana.

Hi,

My questions are;

Thanks a lot

Dan

The longer the cruise the less likely to have hens/stags

wedding season might get hens

early December might get groups on a pre Christmas shopping trip

Agree I would go for a 7nighter on any of the ships. Aurora is very traditional.

Oriana not been on, but she is a sister ship of Aurora.

Oceana I have been on and didn't like it.

As you came on the P and O board, I guess they are looking for a P and O ship.

With Cunard unless you eat in the buffet Father will have to wear a jacket ever night of an evening. P and O now only have 2 dress codes formal and smart casual..with smart casual no jacket is required.

If they decide on one do post which ship and when and people who have travelled on that ship maybe able to give pointers.

We have done a couple of 2 dayers. Yes there were groups who were happy, but not too noisy or out of control.

Personally I wouldn't do Oceana for my first cruise as she's probably the ship in he fleet in the worst condition. I've done a 4-dayer on Ventura and although there were large groups they were mainly family groups celebrating a birthday etc rather than stags and hens. We're 'mature couple' and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves - but we are regular cruisers. I think a 7 day cruise is the best to give them a flavour of cruising. They'd probably have a sea day included and it won't be too much sailing if they didn't like it.

I wouldn't do Cunard. If they're used to doing short breaks on the South Coast they might want a more relaxed feel but still traditional like Oriana.

We've just booked a cruise with family for their first cruise and they chose Oceana. We love the ship ... showing her age, but understandably and she is in for a refit at the end of 2017. Sometimes smaller is beautiful and I wouldn't hesitate taking anyone on her.

Now re the party cruises - I'd avoid it like the plague

Thanks for all the advice. I didn't think a two night cruise would be a good idea. The ones on the cards now are;

-Aurora R719 (Spain/France 7nt)

-Oriana X713 (France/Belgium 4nt)

-Oceana E720 (Southern Spain 10nt)

-Oceana E722 (Southern Spain 9nt)

-Ventura N808 (Iberia 7nt)

If anyone could help advise regarding weather that would be awesome as I am a hopeless case when it comes to Autumn cruises.

Dan

Thanks for all the advice. I didn't think a two night cruise would be a good idea. The ones on the cards now are;

-Aurora R719 (Spain/France 7nt)

-Oriana X713 (France/Belgium 4nt)

-Oceana E720 (Southern Spain 10nt)

-Oceana E722 (Southern Spain 9nt)

-Ventura N808 (Iberia 7nt)

If anyone could help advise regarding weather that would be awesome as I am a hopeless case when it comes to Autumn cruises.

Dan

Thing about the bay of Biscay,which is what I guess they may worry about. We came back from a cruise down to the Canaries. It was like a millpond going down, only slight above that coming back. This was September.

As long as they take some seasick pills with them, or ginger, or sea bands, so they are prepared, they will be ok.

Try and get a cabin low down midships which would reduce the motion of the ocean even more.

I think Aurora may be a good start. She has a crows nest bar at the front top, with lovely comfy seats and amazing views. I know Oceana does not have that.

We are still trying to work up to one of the big ships..ie Ventura..

I agree about Aurora. I think she would be lovely for your parents first cruise. We love her but we also love Oceana but maybe Oceana is better suited to warm climates. Aurora is a more traditional ship but has not long had a refit so is in good condition - incidentally I don't agree that Oceana is shabby, we were on her in May and had a lovely time.

I also agree that if your parents really want to see what cruising is all about then a seven night cruise would be good. I hope they enjoy themselves whichever cruise you choose.

I agree about Aurora. I think she would be lovely for your parents first cruise. We love her but we also love Oceana but maybe Oceana is better suited to warm climates. Aurora is a more traditional ship but has not long had a refit so is in good condition - incidentally I don't agree that Oceana is shabby, we were on her in May and had a lovely time.

I also agree that if your parents really want to see what cruising is all about then a seven night cruise would be good. I hope they enjoy themselves whichever cruise you choose.

Thing about the bay of Biscay,which is what I guess they may worry about. We came back from a cruise down to the Canaries. It was like a millpond going down, only slight above that coming back. This was September.

As long as they take some seasick pills with them, or ginger, or sea bands, so they are prepared, they will be ok.

Try and get a cabin low down midships which would reduce the motion of the ocean even more.

I think Aurora may be a good start. She has a crows nest bar at the front top, with lovely comfy seats and amazing views. I know Oceana does not have that.

We are still trying to work up to one of the big ships..ie Ventura..

Thanks for the advice regarding the cruises. We've now added R722 and X812 to the pile of cruises and knocked X713, N808 and E722 out of the list. We have all agreed that for a first cruise Ventura would be too big a ship and that Oceana wouldn't be able to handle the weather of December well.

Our current list sits at:

Aurora R722 (Germany, Denmark and Norway 10 nights) in December 2017

Oriana X812 (Ireland 7 nights) in July 2018

Aurora R719 (Spain and France 7 nights) in October 2017

Oceana E720 (Spain and Portugal 10 nights) in October 2017

R719 is only just staying in the list because we're unsure about the Bay of Biscay in late October - are our fears unfounded?

I think a lot of the problem also lies in that one of these cruises would be their first and probably one of their last (due to old age and FIL's heart attack making travel insurance almost impossible to get) - they think that it's a bit of a gamble when you're spending so much money just to see if you like something for the first time. I've told them they should go for it because they never know what's coming around the corner.

Dan

Oh bless them,,,I don't know how old they are but I'll just say this,,they should do it,,go and have fun, there's no pockets in a shroud, I work for a funeral director so I know that for sure;) do it while they can!

Thanks for the advice regarding the cruises. We've now added R722 and X812 to the pile of cruises and knocked X713, N808 and E722 out of the list. We have all agreed that for a first cruise Ventura would be too big a ship and that Oceana wouldn't be able to handle the weather of December well.

Our current list sits at:

Aurora R722 (Germany, Denmark and Norway 10 nights) in December 2017

Oriana X812 (Ireland 7 nights) in July 2018

Aurora R719 (Spain and France 7 nights) in October 2017

Oceana E720 (Spain and Portugal 10 nights) in October 2017

R719 is only just staying in the list because we're unsure about the Bay of Biscay in late October - are our fears unfounded?

I think a lot of the problem also lies in that one of these cruises would be their first and probably one of their last (due to old age and FIL's heart attack making travel insurance almost impossible to get) - they think that it's a bit of a gamble when you're spending so much money just to see if you like something for the first time. I've told them they should go for it because they never know what's coming around the corner.

Dan

Oh I can so understand why you want this to be perfect for them...

x812..looks very very interesting, and its a one of a type, this means it will probably get booked up a lot quicker than the day in day out destinations. Looks a very interesting cruise...

r722-I saw the word Norway, but no fjords just cities....maybe not.

r719--warmer weather, Aurora can cope with seas..built for ocean cruising..

e720...warmer weather, doesn't to me look as good as r719, for ports being called at....

For me personally it would be between x812 and r719...As I said though, with X812 see how the bookings are going for that one...

Oh I can so understand why you want this to be perfect for them...

x812..looks very very interesting, and its a one of a type, this means it will probably get booked up a lot quicker than the day in day out destinations. Looks a very interesting cruise...

r722-I saw the word Norway, but no fjords just cities....maybe not.

r719--warmer weather, Aurora can cope with seas..built for ocean cruising..

e720...warmer weather, doesn't to me look as good as r719, for ports being called at....

For me personally it would be between x812 and r719...As I said though, with X812 see how the bookings are going for that one...

I think I would agree with English lady....and my personal preference would be x812....and for the following reasons....

Oriana is a lovely traditional ship, easy to find your way around, has loads of outside space, copes with bad weather well, and his having a big refit this coming November, so should be looking good. Also....and could be important, if you are looking to book soon, the 2018 cruises are showing very good prices at the moment with only a 5% deposit.

I haven't been on Aurora, although would like to, but I wonder if October is just a little late in the year to get the real benefits of a short itinerary weather wise.

So for what it is worth, those are my thoughts!

Hello! I would avoid Oceana, I've not found the food to be good on her and she is worn (others may disagree). From the ships you have listed I would choose Aurora but if it's during a school holiday Oriana may be better.

I wanted to comment about the short cruises, I have done quite a lot of these in addition to lots of 7, and 14+ night cruises, so can speak from first-hand experience. Firstly I'd like to dispel the myths about hens and stags, you do get them on P&O but believe me the type of hens and stags who choose a P&O cruise as their venue are not the sort who cause trouble! The hens and stags you might object to spending a holiday with, will be on all-inclusive weekends in Spain, Poland etc. The hens and stags on P&O do nothing more than wear printed t-shirts at embarkation and are usually dressed to the nines in the evenings (out dressing even the most glam regular cruisers). Also on P&O you don't get people trying to get as drunk as possible, even at new year it's all generally civilised. I don't think this necessarily applies to all cruise lines and I think the differentiating factor is that P&O don't offer drinks packages where passengers feel compelled to get 'value for money' (deterring people who want to spend all their time drinking). There will always be exceptions but whilst there have been stories on this forum about incidents with undesirable groups on long cruises, I don't recall any about short cruises other than repetition of perception. I know you have ruled out a short cruise but I hope that if they come to like cruising and want to try out different ships (health permitting) you won't be put off, a short cruise on Arcadia is lovely!

Edited by Florry