The MAIN reasons we (mostly) avoid Carnival

Tom-n-Cheryl

On topic..It seems it could be so simple and not a lot more expensive, and perhaps benefit selling more of their suites closer to brochure rate to at least offer all items free on room service, add a hot B-fast to room service if not there now, and choice of a free dinner at restaurant of choice for 2; or 7 free cocktails PP of fancy non- alcoholic drinks or coffees, (14 per cruise) on ships w/o restaurants. Does not have to be the whole enchilada to give a little perk for the amount more for suites on Carnival. At least free coffee......

Off topic...glad my friends here are ok...This bad windy hurricane so long traveled, sparked memories with my fellow small HS group that has moved all over nation and some of the bad winds in the 70's at 80's that took our barn roof like a deck of cards at 6000 feet in Montana. One still in area, Beartooth Mtns in Montana, told me that a pilot recently flying around closet peaks to our ranches was sure winds were a 100 MPH..I had posted this is the difference between 80 and 150 mph, rain and a blizzard or a Chinook wind, and the fear of the ocean with an aftermath. After living through bad deals on the ranch a few times I would be even more afraid i think with something related but unknown...Tom, Jim and all...glad you are ok...onward we go!

To each their own..I get Tom's reasoning for his cruise experience and level. Viva cruising ability for all. So lucky many are to like it all and just go for what you want and can afford at time; educated from here.

Sarah, you always add such eloquent posts. Are you a novel writer on the side? You live in an area that has such beauty yet can be as tough as most anywhere in the 48 can be. Sailing and the types of rooms they offer are like most things in life, options and choices.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Off topic...glad my friends here are ok...This bad windy hurricane so long traveled, sparked memories with my fellow small HS group that has moved all over nation and some of the bad winds in the 70's at 80's that took our barn roof like a deck of cards at 6000 feet in Montana. One still in area, Beartooth Mtns in Montana, told me that a pilot recently flying around closet peaks to our ranches was sure winds were a 100 MPH..I had posted this is the difference between 80 and 150 mph, rain and a blizzard or a Chinook wind, and the fear of the ocean with an aftermath. After living through bad deals on the ranch a few times I would be even more afraid i think with something related but unknown...Tom, Jim and all...glad you are ok...onward we go!

Wow flying barn roof. Glad all are ok

I really like Carnival, but for me as a solo traveler, it's not the value it once was. I used to be able to sail in a 1A cabin for 150%, but those days are long gone.

I've had the great fortune to have sailed in a Neptune Suite on Holland America a couple of times, and for a few hundred dollars more than a similar sized suite on Carnival, I get the use of the Neptune Lounge and concierge, plus breakfast every morning in the Pinnacle Grille restaurant, as well as priority boarding and a few other perks.

The insides, outsides, and balcony cabins on Carnival are usually well priced, but when it gets into the suite categories, your money buys a lot more on other lines as a general rule.

Roz

The lack of a full breakfast room service menu is much less of an issue for us now that Brunch is more or less the norm on Sea days. We still enjoy coffee on the Balcony for a couple of hours, then DW can have breakfast food and I can have lunch food. A snack in the afternoon and late seating dinner.

Actually found that to be a much better rhythm on sea days for us.

Only time we miss hot breakfast is at port when we have an early excursion planned and want to watch the approach from the balcony.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For the price of a suite it's not unreasonable to want some of the perks and services offered on other lines. No one should be told to go away. it is about being competitive. Carnival still has to sell these suites at a premium. They may not have a Haven / Yacht Club type setup, but for those who have the big bucks to spend, I think it is alright for them to ask for Carnival to be competitive.

I think it's fine to "ask" for whatever, but I will say one of the reasons we prefer Carnival is that there aren't separate "suite areas" etc (except now on Vista, with Havana, which does bum us out a little but at least there are Havana cabins that are not suites). I don't like the idea of there being subclasses within a ship, like it's the Titanic. A bigger or better room for more money, sure, but when so many perks become wrapped up in it, especially when areas or seats or whatever are set aside for "special" groups of people, it bothers me.

I really want to love Carnival. They have a lot of ships on the water sailing from many different ports to some very good places. We sailed the Breeze just last week and were in a Jr. Suite. I was surprised by how "ordinary" it felt. Yes, the room was larger and we enjoyed the balcony but really don't like the room layout. The larger bathroom was nice too but that was about it.

The thing I think I noticed the most was that the ship felt a lot like a cheap Vegas hotel. We more or less expected that so we were not disappointed but we are usually so enamored with a cruise that we book another one onboard. We've never been compelled to do that with Carnival and were not this time either. They will remain our "cruise on a tight budget" or "getaway" cruise line.

That's not a bad thing mind you but it won't likely make us frequent Carnival customers.

I think Carnival has suites because some people want them, but not to be competitive with superior suites on other cruise lines. The suites sell, even if it is via an upsell call by Carnival. A win-win. Carnival sells the suites and some cruisers score big.

It is fine to ask Carnival for perks, but don't expect them.

That's a pretty reasonable and level-headed response. I used to think very similarly; that I would hate being on a ship with segregated areas, but then I went on a ship with segregated areas (I was staying in an interior cabin, so had no access to those areas) and was concerned about how my experience would be impacted. I was pleased to find that the areas dedicated to the 'suite life' were not that large really and I guess the line took pains to ensure guests did not come away with a have and have not sort of feeling about it all. But I do see where you are coming from. If the issue is space being cut off, I still think it would be fair to offer some additional drinks/meals/concierge for suite guests who pay a significant premium.

And believe me, I won't be spending the money for a suite or suite perks any time soon; not with a mortgage and young family. But some increase in benefits is warranted.

Rather than trying to make Carnival be all things to all people, it would serve customers well to make the loyalty program valid across their brands.

We're wanting to try a different line just to try something different especially if for the right price where we could go out of FL.

So we're looking at Costa and MSC. You have MSC which will honor our CCL Platinum or RCCL Emerald status, and Costa which won't even recognize sailings in its sister lines. Throw in the fact that the Costa ships are clones of Carnival ships, and they don't even bear consideration.

That's a pretty reasonable and level-headed response. I used to think very similarly; that I would hate being on a ship with segregated areas, but then I went on a ship with segregated areas (I was staying in an interior cabin, so had no access to those areas) and was concerned about how my experience would be impacted. I was pleased to find that the areas dedicated to the 'suite life' were not that large really and I guess the line took pains to ensure guests did not come away with a have and have not sort of feeling about it all. But I do see where you are coming from. If the issue is space being cut off, I still think it would be fair to offer some additional drinks/meals/concierge for suite guests who pay a significant premium.

And believe me, I won't be spending the money for a suite or suite perks any time soon; not with a mortgage and young family. But some increase in benefits is warranted.

If the perks include preempting standard passengers from shared access areas - for example reserving the best seats in a theater, or a free meal in a pay restaurant that denies a paying customer, then I think there is a problem. If it takes away staff from common areas, then I think there is a problem.

If a cruise line wants to design a ship around suites or different classes, that is different than trying to accommodate the same after the fact.

I think it's fine to "ask" for whatever, but I will say one of the reasons we prefer Carnival is that there aren't separate "suite areas" etc (except now on Vista, with Havana, which does bum us out a little but at least there are Havana cabins that are not suites). I don't like the idea of there being subclasses within a ship, like it's the Titanic. A bigger or better room for more money, sure, but when so many perks become wrapped up in it, especially when areas or seats or whatever are set aside for "special" groups of people, it bothers me.

Vast majority of Havana area is not suites, but I do get your point.

Sent from my iPhone

Sent from my iPhone

Apparently neither are the suites, according to some. :D

I consider Havana Carnival's version of Haven, etc., but accessible by a variety of different cabin types. There is the reserved pool area by day which is taking away from what otherwise would be a common area, and some supporting staff.

Sent from my iPhone

My post also notes that if you read it all.... I already know that... I don't see the point of this comment.

If you actually read the whole of what I wrote, I began speaking of suite access and then I was speaking not just of suite exclusives but if exclusive space in general. Havana is still better because you can get an inside cabin and have the same access but it's still an upcharge for public space access, which I disagree with, suites or not. Suite access to areas is even worse.

Edited by berrieh

My post also notes that if you read it all.... I already know that... I don't see the point of this comment.

If you actually read the whole of what I wrote, I began speaking of suite access and then I was speaking not just of suite exclusives but if exclusive space in general. Havana is still better because you can get an inside cabin and have the same access but it's still an upcharge for public space access, which I disagree with, suites or not. Suite access to areas is even worse.

Lol I was agreeing with you. Just clarifying as it was not all that clear to me.

Sent from my iPhone

Sarah, you always add such eloquent posts. Are you a novel writer on the side? You live in an area that has such beauty yet can be as tough as most anywhere in the 48 can be. Sailing and the types of rooms they offer are like most things in life, options and choices.

Ahhh, thanks. I have nightmares that I am behind on papers due in school. Kind of left me with a lot of "hot air" on the keys. Well you definitely have to know how to handle things in a blizzard and dad's quote "we are all so less equiped than when we were on the ranch;" but it is so much better. 4000 feet is easier than 6.

Beautiful line on choices.

Wow flying barn roof. Glad all are ok

It was a while ago, while dad was truly ranching. But friends there say it still gets like that. But 70's and 80's and early 90's definitely had more blizzards.

It was not whole roof like the old shop with a metal roof that curled up. The house shingles staid on. But the barn shingles....no roof itself..became deck of cards one time and we always had to put mattresses on the picture window in living room. We rarely get tornadoes but on Fathers' day around 2010 Billings got one that took out the big event center. And we, Bozeman area, get bad bad hail and roof and vehicle and especially trailer and fifth wheel damage with it somewhere every few years here. Dad keeps garbage can lids on all vents of those things....

Praying to get my picture by the perfect yellow cotton woods this year...before a wind comes lol. One more week. You take care...

Karnyval.....great you read me...I meant the better coffee makers. I can take the room service coffee and I am a Walmart shopper amongst the plethora of "better" but can't take a "better" arabica ground drip coffee they made without 1/4 milk. Here my snobby sisters say they will not deal with it due to wait in line..LOL. We have a nice Walmart and like Carnival...everyone shops almost everywhere here in this smaller city and Walmart is in good area and safe. Not like some big city ones. I love watching the college kids who add a quarter of Pop. in fall in there...so cute and funny.

Edited by sjn911

• 2 weeks later...
PRICE plain and simply. Cruising in 3 weeks on what was Carnival's newest ship 4 months ago. $419 DO 7 days. Can't beat it plus I get a butt load of perks because I'm PLATINUM. Nothing earth-shattering just nice things they are under no obligation to give me.:)

Having said that, most of those contributing to this thread are "upscale" cruisers and want a little something better in the way of perks for all the high end money they spend. In their estimation, Carnival doesn't do that as well as others. I can understand that and I'm certainly not humiliated by that as you seem to be.

TOTALLY agree.

Precisely.

If all your ships sail FULL . . . why give out a bunch of expensive perks and comps.

FWIW, the only time I cruised PRINCESS was the first cruise of the summer schedule for Alaskan cruises; Frequently cold and rainy (which most certainly was true for this cruise). I jumped on the "fill-the-ship" special because it was $286 DO 7-day ! Price was everything. Fantastic cruise and cruiseline by the way.:)

What is DO? You put it after $286

We are doing our 300th night n Carnival Spirit next week. this is our 87th cruise, now doing 15 cruises per year. We have cruised with many cruiselines but now mostly Carnival and Royal Caribbean. Royal certainly have the best loyalty programme and we have many friends on several ships from staff to crew to entertainers etc. Carnival don't offer a lot in the way of their loyalty programme, but Spirit we have some of the best friends working on board, from management to crew and some amazing entertainment staff and comedians. we get so much from these people, not monetary value, but just special treatment from many of them. we have had 2 of our kids weddings on board and they could not have done more. sometimes people need to realise, that you get back what you give. these people are all human beings, being away from their families month after month. They actually appreciate a conversation from time to time, rather than listening to petty people complain about everything. you will be surprised how this makes a huge difference to them, and to you. Yes on Royal, now with 350 nights, we get drinks, internet, half price specialty dining and again some amazing staff etc, but we equally get same satisfaction from both these lines. would love to see Carnival come up with a better loyalty programme, but it wont stop me from crusing with them, after all a cruise is what YOU make it, and most importantly the people you meet. happy cruising all.:):)

Holy Cow! 15 per year? That would bankrupt me. Kudos.

As a diamond i get all i need for my $$$$$$$$ inside rooms are dirt cheap and used for sleeping I also get my $$$$$$$$ in free unlimited laundry. Again I am simple just a place to sleep does me fine. as long as i am on a ship i am happy.

Carnival is now more geared to newer cruises they are trying to get more people on board. A

As i tell my waiter at dinner bring me what I want and take your time I have been here many times and you dont need to impress me. I know the product

Remember your on vacation lets be thankfull for that Just when you complain remember how many people cant afford a vacation

Love it.

We're wanting to try a different line just to try something different especially if for the right price where we could go out of FL.

So we're looking at Costa and MSC. You have MSC which will honor our CCL Platinum or RCCL Emerald status, and Costa which won't even recognize sailings in its sister lines. Throw in the fact that the Costa ships are clones of Carnival ships, and they don't even bear consideration.

What MSC status do you get for CCL Platinum? Gold or Black?