Hotel in Miami

mja2573

I refuse to pay $200 for a hotel room. I am not cheap, but don't need a fancy room, just a nice clean hotel. We found rooms for our November cruise at the LaQuinta East for $120 (King Bed). They also have airport and cruiseport shuttles.

This isn't South Dakota. If you are paying $120 when all the other hotels around you are $300, your neighbors are prostitutes, drug lords, and the homeless. Miami is not a place to be cheap ESPECIALLY around the airport.

Do not use AirBnB out of Miami. They are constantly on our local news for scamming tourists out of their money.

I personally would not do an AirBnB as there are tons of reports every day of scams, and lack of regulation. there are plenty of sites that you can find reduced price lodging on the internet for reputable locations. we happen to use Booking dot com, and so far have been happy with our result.

My family will be cruising out of Miami next year. We'll be driving down but I've just started looking into options now for where to stay the night before, and where to park the car (14 nights).

If Miami is either expensive or sketchy, I'm fine with staying at a cheaper hotel that's up to an hour or two away and drive the remaining distance during the morning of boarding day (it's not like you can check in and get on board early in the morning anyway).

The level of hotel we're accustomed to and satisfied with is a Best Western Plus or equivalent that's well-reviewed.

and where to park the car (14 nights)

Heh, well after about 20 minutes of research on this board and online, and I'm convinced not to park anywhere but the Port of Miami :eek: It may be $20 USD/day but I'll eat it.

As an aside, I really liked the car cover option for $10 at EZ Cruise Parking in Galveston and I'm considering buying one myself for added safety and security. Keeps the car clean and out of the elements for any outdoor lot while we're cruising, and makes the car less attractive to vandalism or theft if it's fully covered and nothing is visible. I'm counting on vandals and thieves being too lazy to remove the cover...they'll see the cover and move on to another vehicle :D

Heh, well after about 20 minutes of research on this board and online, and I'm convinced not to park anywhere but the Port of Miami :eek: It may be $20 USD/day but I'll eat it.

As an aside, I really liked the car cover option for $10 at EZ Cruise Parking in Galveston and I'm considering buying one myself for added safety and security. Keeps the car clean and out of the elements for any outdoor lot while we're cruising, and makes the car less attractive to vandalism or theft if it's fully covered and nothing is visible. I'm counting on vandals and thieves being too lazy to remove the cover...they'll see the cover and move on to another vehicle :D

Look at staying in Fort Lauderdale pre cruise if you are going to park at the port.

I would be afraid that vandals and thieves would see the car cover and think, "Hmmn, a Bentley, let's steal it!". Just kidding!

You will be happy you parked at the port.

Look at staying in Fort Lauderdale pre cruise if you are going to park at the port.

I would be afraid that vandals and thieves would see the car cover and think, "Hmmn, a Bentley, let's steal it!". Just kidding!

You will be happy you parked at the port.

Haha, they will be pretty disappointed when they remove the car cover and find a Corolla ;):rolleyes: Hopefully they won't key my car in retribution! :D

We drove to FLL for RCI Oasis a couple of years ago and stayed at Best Western Oakland Park Inn -- I think just as they were transitioning to the Ramada brand. It was marginally OK but I wouldn't go back there. I will be looking for someplace better, but also not looking to break the bank.

There is also a TA we've booked through before that specializes in pre-cruise hotel stays and I've contacted them to see if they have any recommendations.

My family will be cruising out of Miami next year. We'll be driving down but I've just started looking into options now for where to stay the night before, and where to park the car (14 nights).

If Miami is either expensive or sketchy, I'm fine with staying at a cheaper hotel that's up to an hour or two away and drive the remaining distance during the morning of boarding day (it's not like you can check in and get on board early in the morning anyway).

The level of hotel we're accustomed to and satisfied with is a Best Western Plus or equivalent that's well-reviewed.

You can stay much cheaper than in Miami if you look along 95 about an hour+ north (West Palm area); then drive to the port and part there - covered, convenient and secure.

http://www.sunny.org has lots of FLL area tourist and hotel info, including lists of hotels offering parking packages. http://www.stay123.com and http://www.parksleepfly.com are tow other sources to check. Shared shuttle service between FLL area hotels and POM will cost you about $15 per person each way - do the math and then make your decision about where to park.

You can stay much cheaper than in Miami if you look along 95 about an hour+ north (West Palm area); then drive to the port and part there - covered, convenient and secure.

www.sunny.org has lots of FLL area tourist and hotel info, including lists of hotels offering parking packages. www.stay123.com and www.parksleepfly.com are tow other sources to check. Shared shuttle service between FLL area hotels and POM will cost you about $15 per person each way - do the math and then make your decision about where to park.

Yep, I had mentioned I'm perfectly willing to drive up to 2 hours on embarkation morning to get to PoM. Another upside of that is it shortens the driving distance on the previous day(s) heading down to FL.

Thanks for the information! I will check out those sites later. :)

We are on a MSC Cruise out of Miami on feb 11. we land in Miami Airport 16,15, which means that we have 2 nights in Miami. I enjoy South Beach, but my wife and daughter would like to go to Sawgrass Mills, so expect that most of the day will go with that. I have looked at Seagull Hotel in South Beach and Leamington in Downtown. Any advices to which of them I should choose or avoid? And does anyone have a tip to transport to and from Sawgrass Mills?

Yes you SuperShuttle. Because the Sawgrass Mall is way far away even from Fort Lauderdale. Try googling the distance between where you start and where you end up at the Sawgrass Mall . The mall is shaped like an airplane supposedly, so you might need to leave some breadcrumbs on your way in order to find your way back to where you started. Ha ha

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are on a MSC Cruise out of Miami on feb 11. we land in Miami Airport 16,15, which means that we have 2 nights in Miami. I enjoy South Beach, but my wife and daughter would like to go to Sawgrass Mills, so expect that most of the day will go with that. I have looked at Seagull Hotel in South Beach and Leamington in Downtown. Any advices to which of them I should choose or avoid? And does anyone have a tip to transport to and from Sawgrass Mills?

Sawgrass is at least an hour from South Beach, maybe 75 minutes.

I would rather stay in South Beach than downtown.

The Miami airport area is dismal and a high crime area. If you don't want to pay the going rate for hotels, cruise out of another city.

Do not use AirBnB out of Miami. They are constantly on our local news for scamming tourists out of their money.

Also wanted to add that many will rent out their units on AirBnB, but the units are located in buildings that don't allow this. So when the renter shows up, the front desk won't allow them into the building!!

Can anyone tell me about Hotel Urbano? says it is in the Brickell district - but looks farther away? (found a deal on lmtclub.com and wondering if it is worth it?)....thx

It's on Brickell Ave right where the Rickenbacker Causeway is going over to Key Biscayne. Smaller independent hotel.

It's a long walk to where the restaurants are, 1.5 miles to Mary Brickell Village. There is a trolley stop in front of it that you can take and you can also take uber back at night.

What are they charging you?

Booked through Hotwire for 5 star hotel in Brickell financial district for $170. They reveal the name after you pay and it turned out to be W Miami. Our cruise is in March and we think we got a very good deal as even the run of the mill airport hotels are more expensive than that.

It's on Brickell Ave right where the Rickenbacker Causeway is going over to Key Biscayne. Smaller independent hotel.

It's a long walk to where the restaurants are, 1.5 miles to Mary Brickell Village. There is a trolley stop in front of it that you can take and you can also take uber back at night.

What are they charging you?

Thanks for the info - greatly appreciated - I thought it looked a bit 'farther away' LOL.

Saw it on lmtclub.com for $153 for feb....1 night pre-cruise ..

Booked through Hotwire for 5 star hotel in Brickell financial district for $170. They reveal the name after you pay and it turned out to be W Miami. Our cruise is in March and we think we got a very good deal as even the run of the mill airport hotels are more expensive than that.

That is a great deal - wondering if I should try hotwire for February? I do have a 'backup ' airport hotel booked for $203 - but would much prefer to be in the downtown/Brickell area...

Was it $170 total? or are there taxes/fees on top of that? Do you remember all the amenities listed?

Edited by Froufie

The list price was $170 but with taxes and fees it came to $211 total

thanks! - I did some 'hunting' on hotwire and looks like the 5 stars (and I think I 'found' the W) are over $400 CND per night - no thanks! LOL - will check again closer to sail date!

Thanks for the info - greatly appreciated - I thought it looked a bit 'farther away' LOL.

Saw it on lmtclub.com for $153 for feb....1 night pre-cruise ..

That is a great deal - wondering if I should try hotwire for February? I do have a 'backup ' airport hotel booked for $203 - but would much prefer to be in the downtown/Brickell area...

Was it $170 total? or are there taxes/fees on top of that? Do you remember all the amenities listed?

What about the new Homewood Suites Brickell? That i much closer. It's running around $30 more.

What about the new Homewood Suites Brickell? That i much closer. It's running around $30 more.

From what I am reading the Homewood is also not a great location - despite being listed as in the Brickell area? On LMT club.com it is running at $220 US - not sure where you are seeing it cheaper? But in any case if I am paying to stay in Brickell area I want to be within walking distance of the restaurants/shops and nightlife??

Just found #1 rated hotel downtown miami - The East - on lastminutetravel.com for great rate of $289 US and $284 on lmtclub.com - still a bit rich for me - but a great steal as regular price for my date is $529!

Edited by Froufie

Just found #1 rated hotel downtown miami - The East - on lastminutetravel.com for great rate of $289 US and $284 on lmtclub.com - still a bit rich for me - but a great steal as regular price for my date is $529!

You can walk from Homewood Suites to the Brickell restaurants. It's much closer than your other hotel that you were looking at.

The East Hotel is an amazing brand new hotel right in Brickell. It's actually right in Brickell Citi Centre where there are shops, restaurants and a brand new movie theater opening.

The pool deck is really nice. Their rooftop bar Sugar has been rated one of the best rooftop bars in the US and the view is incredible. You would be very happy here.

You can walk from Homewood Suites to the Brickell restaurants. It's much closer than your other hotel that you were looking at.

The East Hotel is an amazing brand new hotel right in Brickell. It's actually right in Brickell Citi Centre where there are shops, restaurants and a brand new movie theater opening.

The pool deck is really nice. Their rooftop bar Sugar has been rated one of the best rooftop bars in the US and the view is incredible. You would be very happy here.

Thanks for the info on Homewood/location!

And I know I would be very happy at The East - but too much $$$ - and I would also need 2 rooms - total cost is $331 US - which translates to around $440 Cdn - a bit too expensive for one night - but would LOVE to stay there! :)

Thanks for the info on Homewood/location!

And I know I would be very happy at The East - but too much $$$ - and I would also need 2 rooms - total cost is $331 US - which translates to around $440 Cdn - a bit too expensive for one night - but would LOVE to stay there! :)

The Homewood is brand new as well. There is also an Aloft here in Brickell, so maybe check those prices.

What date are you looking for?