Carry off your luggage?

Does the ship allow you to carry your luggage off or do you have to put it outside your door the night before?

You may self disembarkation with your luggage. Generally it requires taking your luggage either up or down a flight of stairs. Last time we were able to take the elevator but not every time. We were told we would be using the stairs.

We try to go in the early morning disembarkation. I am not sure of all the times, just the early one.

Just off the Liberty yesterday and we carried off. We were given 2 meeting places (dining room or theater), where you needed to be. Walk off was supposed to start at 7:30. We got to the dining room about 6:30 and there was a line of luggage formed. We put ours in line and we were about 30 from the front. Just sat at a table and the line started to move about 7:15 and we were through customs by 7:30. We used the elevator to get to the dining room and that early had no problem getting one. In Galveston, the trip from the ship to customs is all ramps so it is easy rolling.

Edited by Texasopa

Assuming you are sailing in the Caribbean. Most times you can carry off. When we left Celebrity Infinitely in Buenos Aires we could not carry luggage off. Reason was when we got off the ship, we had to ride a bus from the ship to the actual port area. No large luggage allowed on the bus, only carry on size. We prefer to carry off, helps to prolong the life of our luggage and then we don't have to hunt it down

When disembarking from the Jewel in Rome, we requested Early Departure due to an early flight. We were in group 3 and left no more than 5 minutes behind the self carry. The good news was that we put our luggage out the night before and got it upon departure with no hassle. Something to consider. Quick exit without carrying your own bags down any stairs.

We've been carrying on and off for the last few years- no issues.

There's no window for carry off- it's starts first, and goes until everyone is off. We just carried off the Anthem at about 9am Saturday.

"No window for carry off"...Unfortunately that can cause a traffic jam...we saw this recently when a large family group opted for this :eek:

We booked a flight out of Newark at 1145. I was a little nervous after reading all the stories of missed flights, so we opted for carrying our own luggage. Ate breakfast at WJ and lined up near 270 to leave the ship at 0730. Once the line started moving at 0730 we did not stop. Off the ship, thru customs, on the van and at the airport at 0810. The best disembarking of the ship we ever had. I would do it again on our next cruise.

We have a 10:35 flight out of FLL when debarking Harmony in February. Is self-debarkation the only way to make that flight?

If Harmony's departure schedule is similar to that of Oasis, the earliest luggage tags are scheduled to get off the ship around 8:15am. If things go smoothly, and you have the earliest tags, you could be at the airport before 9am.

"No window for carry off"...Unfortunately that can cause a traffic jam...we saw this recently when a large family group opted for this :eek:

Jams are caused by people moving slowly, not by luggage.

I've seen plenty of jams where nobody had luggage- this past weekend, there was a large number of people who needed to use the elevator instead of the escalator- that bunched things up a lot.

And then there are the slow downs due to customs- which is after everyone gets luggage anyway.

If one has airline carry on luggage for their trip- then carrying off the ship doesn't cause problems any time you walk off.

I walked off with my luggage on Saturday from the Anthem. At 6:30 when I went to Two70 for breakfast, there was already a line of luggage ready to go when the ship was cleared. At 7:45 am I left my cabin on deck 12, got in the elevator to deck 5 and there was no one there. Went to the exit and there were about 8 people in front of me. Got off and through customs and was in the debark waiting area outside at 8:00 am. Quickest exit ever for me.

I've seen plenty of luggage jams by people who thought they could manage it all by themselves. :eek:

Yes...Absolutely....The large family I posted about was a nightmare for many trying to get off the ship...They made a huge mistake trying to manage their luggage and their timing to depart...Sadly they were oblivious and could have cared less about the problems they caused to cruiser's and staff.

Yes...Absolutely....The large family I posted about was a nightmare for many trying to get off the ship...They made a huge mistake trying to manage their luggage and their timing to depart...Sadly they were oblivious and could have cared less about the problems they caused to cruiser's and staff.

And that can happen at 7am just as easily as it can at 9am.

It does not change the idea that there's no *need* to self depart first thing in the morning.

When I wake up and see the long line of self departer's first thing, and then later in when I leave- there's no line, well....

There's nothing inherently wrong with self carry off at 9am, or even being the last one off the ship carrying your own bags.

The "wrong" is self carrying when you can't deal with the bags.

Yes, agreed - I think we were just disagreeing with you when you said that luggage isn't the problem, when clearly many times it is. :o

It's still the people.

Again, the biggest back up I've seen in my 40 trips not related to immigration was people waiting for the elevator this past weekend. Wheelchairs (so the elevators were needed) were all over the place. No luggage for them.

It's still the people.

Again, the biggest back up I've seen in my 40 trips not related to immigration was people waiting for the elevator this past weekend. Wheelchairs (so the elevators were needed) were all over the place. No luggage for them.

Hmmm...Usually RCI has (offer's) assistance for those with needs and helps them to depart....so they aren't "all over the place".