So Much For C&A Discounts

I know most of you already know how this works and know how much has changed over the years, but I still can't help but get a bit annoyed when I look at booking a cruise and see how the C&A discounts just really don't work in our favor much anymore. What bothers me is the fact that as a C&A members our balcony/suite discount doesn't account for anything of real value most of the time now days. A few pennies cheaper here and there and in most cases booking without the C&A discount is better as their so called sales are better for new customers than the discount is for returning customers since they are not combineable like they used to be. And, when they are combineable (BOHO) it's really cute that they deduct the C&A discount first then take the sale percentage off. Essentially, lowering the overall discount.

I get it. It's business and if I don't like it I can take my business elsewhere. But, it would be nice every now again to see all the money I've spent with them in the past hold more value like it use to.

That being said, like most of us, it doesn't stop from me booking (which is probably the only answer that would produce change). But, it also doesn't stop me from hoping they eventually listen and make some changes to the program for our benefit.

Again, I know the horse is dead and beaten, but a few more kicks help me feel better.

Edited by lv2bcruzin

Maybe I misunderstood, but I've been able to get the C&A balcony discount with the fake sale prices. Sometimes it's not the full discount, but the price has never been better by removing the C&A balcony discount.

It's happened to me on my last two cruises where sales included OBC that wasn't combineable with the C&A discount and the OBC was a higher value. I guess that makes the situation slightly different than just the price of the cruise. But, essentially it still affects the total cost of the cruise in the end.

In general though the $225 balcony/suite discount ends up being less than $100 cheaper in the end since they deduct that amount first then deduct the sale percentage. It's never the full amount. This is of course in comparison to a non-C&A discount booking with the percentage deducted on the higher price resulting in a higher discount on that line item.

Edited by lv2bcruzin

... In general though the $225 balcony/suite discount ends up being less than $100 cheaper in the end since they deduct that amount first then deduct the sale percentage. It's never the full amount.....

The current promo is 60% off the second guest. Since the balcony discount is deducted from the fare of the first guest, then we get the full balcony discount on the current promo. When they go back to 30% off each guest, then we will lose part of the discount again.

Edited by clarea

The current promo is 60% off the second guest. Since the balcony discount is deducted from the fare of the first guest, then we get the full balcony discount on the current promo. When they go back to 30% off each guest, then we will lose part of the discount again.

I'm talking about the overall cost compared between C&A vs non-C&A booking.

If a non-C&A booking costs $1,000 I would expect that after the $225 C&A discount the C&A booking would cost $775. But, that's not what happens, because of how the 60% off is applied.

I think we're saying the same thing, but looking at it differently.

Either way it's a bunch of smoke and mirrors.

Edited by lv2bcruzin

I'm talking about the overall cost compared between C&A vs non-C&A booking.

If a non-C&A booking costs $1,000 I would expect that after the $225 C&A discount the C&A booking would cost $775. But, that's not what happens, because of how the 60% off is applied.

I think we're saying the same thing, but looking at it differently.

Either way it's a bunch of smoke and mirrors.

I'm saying sometimes you get the full amount off and sometimes you don't. It all depends if the first guest is discounted.

I just had a price drop on a cruise that had been 25% off the first two guests. My $150 balcony discount ended up being only $113 on that version. Two days ago the price dropped and the promo was 60% off the second guest. This time I got the full $150 discount.

We booked 2 upcoming cruises on the 30% off sale using the C&A Balcony and suite discount of $225.00. Both cruises are several hundred more with the 60% off sale even when the discount is applied.

So, when is a sale actually a sale on RCCL? I find if you book as soon as deployments are announced, that is as cheap as it gets, regardless of what they call the sale.

But, I have to agree that not being able to stack discounts and OBC stinks. On Princess, HAL and Carnival I get the benefit of my past passenger discount, the OBC on the promo and my Carnival Corp. shareholder benefit. I do not have to choose one over the other.

I sold my RCCL stock for a tidy profit since I don't need to hold it for the OBC since my Diamond Discount is more. I buy and sell Carnival regularly and have made a nice profit, plus gotten a decent dividend. I just make sure it is in my account when I have a Princess, HAL or Carnival sailing coming up. Next year I will get $450 in shareholder benefits over 3 cruises.

Edited by DebJ14

... So, when is a sale actually a sale on RCCL? I find if you book as soon as deployments are announced, that is as cheap as it gets, regardless of what they call the sale. ...

I agree, the vast majority of prices are not really on sale. However, I've had a couple of rare price drops in the last couple of months.

Honestly, as Hillary said "what difference does it make?" I book based on "bottom line." I look at the price of the cruise, figure in any "extras" like OBC, discounted drink packages, specialty dinners, etc. I take the price of the cruise, deduct any "extras" that I'll use, deduct C & A discount if applicable, and get a "bottom line" cost to the cruise. If it's reasonable in my mind, I book the cruise. If I get a better deal without the C & A discount, great. If I get a better deal with it, great. Y'all seem angry that someone who has never sailed can get the same pricing as a Diamond member. Why? Royal Caribbean is in business to turn a profit. As a Diamond Plus member, I still get priority boarding and debarkation. Access to a Concierge. Happy Hour every night. Discounts on various things on board. And my personal favorite, 3 free pulls at the slot machine :). But no matter, RCCL (including Celebrity) has THE BEST frequent cruiser program out there. No other cruiseline has the perks that RCCL does. And, from reading these boards, the competitors price their cruises the same way. With sales that don't combine with other offers. It's marketing. Every business does it.

I'm saying sometimes you get the full amount off and sometimes you don't. It all depends if the first guest is discounted.

I just had a price drop on a cruise that had been 25% off the first two guests. My $150 balcony discount ended up being only $113 on that version. Two days ago the price dropped and the promo was 60% off the second guest. This time I got the full $150 discount.

Same here. Ours was also at the 50/50- we ended up saving around $80 with the 60% off second person sale. That's the best one so far if you have any other discounts