APT river cruises

we have booked a amsterdam to budapest river cruise for next april. it is so hard to find reviews for this company, looked on the rivercruise section on cruise critic but no one seems to mention apt....anyone been on a river cruise with this company any advice would be welcome. also we don't want to book the hotel in budapest that apt wants you to as it is too expensive, even though I checked this hotel out and they don't charge per room what apt wants you to pay so therefore we won't be getting the free airport transfers they offer as you have to book the hotel thru them to get the transfers, has anyone stayed in amsterdam or budapest....what hotels would you recommend

APT badges the ships of AMA Waterways for charters for specific trips. You are really sailing with AMA Waterways an American based company . APT as such does not own the vessels, they are just charters .

Edited by kuldalai

I went on APT back in 2007 Amsterdam to Budapest and am repeating the cruise next year with Gate 1.

Had a great time it is the best I have been on but very very very different to an ocean cruise. If you expect it to be like the ocean ships you will be very disappointed.

Just one dining room and lounge room, outdoor area. Food is good and plentiful but not the choices that you get on the ocean ships.

The ship had about 140 passengers so it was much more personal than being on a ship with several thousand.

Each day we had a port stop so no days at sea. The included tours were very good but if not interested you could go off and do your own thing.

There were several different groups of walkers, fast walkers, slow walkers and average walkers. At some stops it was a bit far for the slow walkers so often a mini bus and even taxis were arranged to take those in that group to the attraction we were to visit.

The passengers were all aussies other than about 6 or 7 from New Zealand. I would very happily go again with APT but got a bargain price so decided to give Gate 1 a go. The cruise is less than half what APT fare is. Ocassionally APT do have specials at short notice which is what we managed to get back in 2007.

Don't worry about the transfers, as taxis are really cheap in Budapest. Just book your own hotel and get a taxi.