The word "Loyalty" leaves a bitter taste...

Dajo5601

After our next cruise I'm almost certain we'll be a Platinum level (by being just over 70 nights, but with 5 cruises). I therefore looked at what you get for Platinum and the expression "whoopty doo" did spring to my mind.
Or not... :) LIKE :) Edited by pepperrn

But generally much more expensive!

We are taking a 12 night Western Caribbean cruise in November. The fare is $1,999 each which includes:

• Round trip air to/from Seattle & Miami
  • Gratuities
  • All taxes/fees/port charges
  • WiFi
  • $1,100 OBC
  • Coffee, soft drinks, bottled water
  • Specialty restaurants

Granted we have an inside cabin but that isn't important to us. I like Cunard but I love Oceania.

I lurk a bit on the Celebrity part of the forum and a significant proportion of those folks are obsessed with loyalty levels, particularly their "free" canapes and glass of fizz in their own roped off corner of the world before dinner. Can you believe that people actually book cruises for the purpose of climbing the gilded ladder toward a free bag of washing or 30 minutes of internet time?

The forum almost exploded when Celebrity, realising that they had too many Elite members to service, changed all the tiers and introduced the practically unachievable Super Deluxe Grand Poobah Obsidian Black Level. If you reach SDGPOB then you score a free 7 day inside cabin voyage after about 3000 days at sea with them. And the Captain personaly comes to your door in the middle of the night to shine any shoes left outside, using the elbow of his dress shirt and his own spit. There was much wailing, gnashing of teeth and protestations that now the rope ladder had been pulled up beyond reach devotees were going to vote with their feet.

Please, please Cunarders, let's not have any of this ridiculous faux loyalty gullability here. More decorum please. Just enjoy what you've paid for and bask in the glory of sailing one of the best ships in the world.

I lurk a bit on the Celebrity part of the forum and a significant proportion of those folks are obsessed with loyalty levels, particularly their "free" canapes and glass of fizz in their own roped off corner of the world before dinner. Can you believe that people actually book cruises for the purpose of climbing the gilded ladder toward a free bag of washing or 30 minutes of internet time?

The forum almost exploded when Celebrity, realising that they had too many Elite members to service, changed all the tiers and introduced the practically unachievable Super Deluxe Grand Poobah Obsidian Black Level. If you reach SDGPOB then you score a free 7 day inside cabin voyage after about 3000 days at sea with them. And the Captain personaly comes to your door in the middle of the night to shine any shoes left outside, using the elbow of his dress shirt and his own spit. There was much wailing, gnashing of teeth and protestations that now the rope ladder had been pulled up beyond reach devotees were going to vote with their feet.

Please, please Cunarders, let's not have any of this ridiculous faux loyalty gullability here. More decorum please. Just enjoy what you've paid for and bask in the glory of sailing one of the best ships in the world.

This is perfectly put, we sail with Cunard because we enjoy the experience, the loyalty benefits are a bonus (or not sometimes)

Edited by Host Hattie

Bravo! I will always remember a couple at the table next to us asking what category we were.......when I said Gold she sneered and said 'We're Gold, but we're old Gold not new Gold'......Hubby and I now play spot the old Gold when we are on board ;-)

It sounds so fictional that it must be true!

What a great thread! Everyone's thoughts and comments (even those in disagreement) have been interesting.

I agree with David about leaving enough room in the suitcase to pack some brains.

I agree with everyone who stated "class" has nothing to do with this discussion.

I agree with Pepper that counting nights vs voyages seems the most fair way to determine "status."

Chunky 2219, you put the icing on the cake!

Signed: Jimmybean,

a confirmed inside-cabin-booker, platinum-tier-status Cunarder.

Happy Sailing to all!

Hi BigMac1953,

Sorry :( but I'm afraid I'm going to disagree with you about the loyalty level being decided by total money spent with Cunard.

I can see good arguments for a system where the levels are decided only by the total number of nights on board however.

But if it was decided by money, then a similar unfairness (to the current system that upsets many) is created.

First-time passengers spending only a few weeks in a Q1 could easily attain a higher level than a couple who been sailing with Cunard for many, many years on longer cruises, but only in Inside Cabins.

That doesn't seem fair to the loyal passenger, to me.

As for the argument about short cruises v long cruises; I was once asked by a passenger "Is it fair that someone who has done only two voyages goes straight to "Diamond", whereas we have done a mixture of cruises over a great many years, showing real loyalty, but had to wait a very long time to get to Diamond?".

Conversely, I can imagine that a passenger who does an entire World Cruise in Queens Grill might be surprised (and annoyed) to discover they've more trips to do before they get to Diamond status!

If the system was to change, then total number of nights (regardless of money spent, or indeed, number of cruises taken) seems, to me at least, the fairest way to run a future loyalty system.

Sorry to have disagreed with your point, and thank you for all your great posts :)

Exactly what happened on celebrity and' sticking my neck out here, I haven't heard any complaints.

After four 'suite' cruises with Celebrity I literally flew up the ladder.

Don't understand why you are still unhappy about this. You have mentioned this on another thread.

It certainly wasn't crowed, I was there. The Senior Officer's party is not only for Platinum & Diamond guests, we have covered this before. The clue is in the title! ships officers are entitled to invite anyone as their guest,often this includes VIP's and noted guests, who may or may not have travelled on Cunard before.

I was not unhappy about the Senior Officer's party.:eek: I started the other thread because of the way they handled the fashion show, which I couldn't care less to see, but my wife wanted, and was talking about it since we booked the cruise. Btw, they "gave" us a very uncomfortable (standing) place and I left after 5 minutes.

For those who didn't read it: "while passengers waited outside the Queens Room for a STANDING place to watch a fashion show some people cut the line and had seats waiting for them. I asked a crew member who they were and the answer was they were invited by the fashion designer."

And I just brought the issue back because I think it has to do with the subject of this thread, since others said that the problem (not for me) may be due to many passengers being Platinum and Diamonds.

Trust me, it takes something much more serious to make me unhappy

Edited by paulista1950

This is a summary of the various cruise line loyalty programmes - there seem to be lots of variations based on category booked/on board spend etc. Cruise Line Loyalty Programmes At least the Cunard one is easy to understand !
Thank you Host Hattie,

Very true!

I've got a headache from reading some of the other line's qualifying "rules and regs" :eek:

All that was missing from a couple was the line " ... unless there is an "R" in the month (or an easterly wind on a Tuesday) when rule 57 (subsection 6, para D) will be applied to those in starboard side cabins (does not apply to suites) ... " :D

A very useful link, thank you again.

Going back to the original disembarking question, this is the abbreviated information we received on Friday for our 7 day cruise on QE:

8.15am Queens Grill Pink 3 Tags Britannia Restaurant, Deck 3

8.15am Princess Grill Pink 3 Tags Britannia Restaurant, Deck 3

8.20am Priority for Diamond CWC Green1 Britannia Restaurant, Deck 3

8.30am Heathrow Airport Red 2,3,4 & 5 Tags Queens Room Deck 2

8.30am Gatwick Airport Brown 1 Tags Queens Room Deck 2

8.45am Victoria Station Brown 3 Tags Queens Room, Deck 2

8.45am St Pancras Station Brown 4 Tags Queens Room, Deck 2

8.45am Hays Travel Orange 4 Golden Lion Pub, Deck 2

9.00am Cruise Connect 1,2,3,4&5 Gold 1,2,3,4 5 Queens Room, Deck 2

9.15am Eavesway1 & 2 Aqua 1 & 2 Tags Golden Lion Pub, Deck 2

9.15am Deck 8 Deck 8 embark labels Royal Court Theatre, Decks 1&2

9.30am Deck 7 Deck 7 embark labels Queens Room, Deck 2

9.45am Deck 6 Deck 6 embark labels Royal Court Theatre, Decks 1&2

10.00am Deck 5 Deck 5 embark labels Queens Room, Deck 2

10.l5am Deck 4 Deck 4 embark labels Royal Court Theatre, Decks 1 & 2

10.30am Decks 1 & 2 Deck 1 & 2 embark labels Queens Room, Deck 2

Cunard World Club

Diamond member

We invite Diamond members to relax in

the Britannia Restaurant, Deck 3 from

8.00am. Upon entering simply present

your key card to your Cunard World Club

representative at the entrance. Please note

that Diamond guests will disembark when

the relevant luggage tag colour is called.

If you are a Diamond Guest with a Cunard

arranged transfer, please proceed to the

lounge detailed in the disembarkation

letter sent by the Tour Office.

Self Help Disembarkation

If you wish to disembark early prior to

main disembarkation and are able bodied

and capable of carrying ALL of your own

luggage, you can apply for Self-Help

Disembarkation at the Purser's Office.

When disembarking as Self-Help, you do

not require luggage labels- keep all of your

luggage in your stateroom overnight and

meet in the Queen Room, at 7.00am with

your luggage. Self-Help disembarkation is

expected to commence at 7.15am.

And no mention of Platinum tier!

Ah. I've noticed a subtlety in the scheme.

Platinum status earns you a Private Disembarkation Lounge, but Diamond status gets you Priority Disembarkation (as seen in Adammara's disembarkation schedule).

If Platinum passengers were separately advised of a different location where they could wait until their assigned time, it would all be consistent.

What I love about the Cunard loyalty scheme is the free internet time. On Celebrity you had to purchase the internet package (24 hours a day, every day of the cruise) and receive a percentage off your bill according to the loyalty level. You could not purchase by the hour.

Some perks are worth it for the laughter level. On my last Celebrity cruise we spent a good 15 minutes going through all of our perks for the concierge class and our tier, laughing the whole time. We never did get around to collecting our one free scoop of gelato.

Last Wednesday whilst on the QE we received our luggage tags for disembarkation at Southampton on Friday. I saw that as Platinum passengers we were to assemble in the Queens Room along with most other passengers. As one of the benefits of achieving Platinum status is a "Private disembarkation lounge", I visited the pursers desk to query the disembarkation arrangements only to be told - "There are too many Platinum passengers to provide a separate disembarkation lounge".

In short, you are attracted by the benefits associated with Platinum status, you then cruise with Cunard to achieve that status and when you have achieved it, one of the benefits which first attracted you to the scheme are withdrawn without notice.

It appears to me that the word "Loyalty", certainly in this instance applies to the passengers only - not to Cunard - a shabby way to treat loyal repeat customers in my opinion.

For the record, as a "Loyal" Cunard Platinum passenger, I have already booked another 17 night cruise on the QE for next September. Perhaps Cunard could take note and consider that "Loyalty" should work both ways.

I've only just noticed your post. Sounds like you were on the cruise before ours which started Friday 30th September- 7th October.

Ever since we became Platinum, we have also been able to sit in a separate area for disembarkation (usually the Commodore Club on QE/QV and Todd English on QM2). We get coffee and pastries and we get called earlier. However on two occasions we have been demoted to waiting in the Queens Room or theatre with everyone like yourself.

The first time was last year on the QE (16 days Med), the second time was on the QE cruise I mentioned above. However, in July this year on the QM2, we still got to wait in the Todd English - now Verandah restaurant.

Anyway, we've just achieved Diamond. :)