Do you lock your checked luggage?

ElizabethE26

I agree with the unlocked replies. There is nothing in my suitcase that can't be replaced. Just clothes. If the thief wants in and doesn't have time to break the lock, the entire suitcase goes missing.:eek:

Just my opinion.

Edited by candycaramel

We have no love of luggage locks since many thieves have TSA keys. And if your lock is not a TSA approved lock, it will simply be cut off your luggage if TSA (or a thief) decides to take a look. We use small lock ties (cable ties) which cost us next to nothing. This is just a way that we can know if anyone has been inside our luggage.

We would add that any luggage that closes with a zipper can easily be opened by simply prying open the zipper.

Hank

I'm surprised at how many people are saying that there is nothing 'of value' in their suitcase. Granted, my bag isn't full of designer labels, but having had the airlines lose a bag of mine one time -- and being asked to provide a list of the items and their value -- I am aware that there's a certain amount of value to my holiday clothing and shoes. Not to mention, I am extremely picky about my clothing and I would NOT want to spend my holiday time shopping for new ones.

Having said that, I don't really see any down-side to locking my suitcase, and the upside is that it MIGHT deter someone and it MIGHT keep my suitcase closed and prevent my clothes making a break for it.

Thus, I lock.

Ahhhhh but we shall digress. Good luggage and/or luggage locks simply makes a professional thief think you have something to protect :). Cheap old luggage without locks might be helpful. Just understand that luggage locks do not stop any pro. But perhaps you do fend off some amateurs.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I'm not surprised. I've also seen the video of someone opening a locked case in only a few seconds. I've got that sort of case, canvas with a nylon zip. It's not logical, but it still makes me feel better to lock my bags. :o

Having tempted fate with my earlier post about opening a bag with a pen, we got on the ship on Friday for me to discover that I'd accidentally re-set the combination on the lock on my carry-on. I'm here to tell you that it was no trouble at all to open my case with a pen! :p.

Now I get to spend an afternoon trying to figure out the surprise combination. I certainly would have been ahead of the game if I had left it unlocked this time.:o

Ahhhhh but we shall digress. Good luggage and/or luggage locks simply makes a professional thief think you have something to protect :). Cheap old luggage without locks might be helpful. Just understand that luggage locks do not stop any pro. But perhaps you do fend off some amateurs.

Hank

I always lock my suitcases with TSA locks with the thought that while the locks won't stop a professional thief, they will deter casual pilfering. They also keep the zippers from getting worked open.

I use distinctive luggage straps to make the suitcases easy to spot on the carousel.

Hi everyone

We also don't place anything of real "value" in my luggage. We do use locks, but more as another indication that someone in a hurry might be to recognize that this isn't their bag.

We use eye catching luggage tags, I put obvious grease pencil marking on the suitcase themselves and also use the locks. I am hoping that my bag appears unique enough that nobody else will pick it up by accident. That to me would be more of a concern (likely) than theft. Although one time, one of those distinguished luggage tags was missing. :confused: Don't know if it was stolen or broke off.

may your next cruise be great