What's New Year's Eve like on a cruise?

FLUFFLULA

We're going on the Vista for the New Year's Eve cruise. We've never done a cruise on New Year's Eve and wonder what to expect. Is everyone more dressed up than usual? Is there a big party for NYE? Since this is a new ship, is it likely that they will have a big party? BTW-DH and I are traveling with his sister and BIL, and we are all in our 60's. Both of them have had major health problems this year and are doing fine now, so we are hoping for a good time on this cruise to start the New Year.

We're going on the Vista for the New Year's Eve cruise. We've never done a cruise on New Year's Eve and wonder what to expect. Is everyone more dressed up than usual? Is there a big party for NYE? Since this is a new ship, is it likely that they will have a big party? BTW-DH and I are traveling with his sister and BIL, and we are all in our 60's. Both of them have had major health problems this year and are doing fine now, so we are hoping for a good time on this cruise to start the New Year.

Here is someone's video of NYE on Carnival Breeze. This should give you some idea.

Last year on the Dream most people were dressed up at dinner (it was elegant night). They gave out hats and noise makers at dinner. They also gave out free champagne during embarkation (a couple of days before NYE) and had a huge party on Lido with free champagne on NYE. It was a great time. Enjoy your cruise.

Its wonderful on NYE. We've been on three of them. Its a crazy party. Football on the TV's in the afternoon and evening. Lots of complimentary champagne in the evening. Party hats and noisemakers. Its usually a formal night at the MDR. Big party with lots of music and dancing on the top deck. Balloon drop in the atrium -- and at Midnight, after the countdown, the horn blows in the middle of the ocean to top the party off. It's always been a great time.

If the weather is nice they have a big deck party with all the crew also. There is a large lighted "2016" sign indicating the year. They will do a countdown. If there is a big screen they will show the ball drop and then the sign changes to 2017. If the weather is not great they will have a confetti and balloon drop in the atrium. You also get a free glass champaigne on embarkation and again at New Years. There is a special menu in the dining room. I have been on 2 New Years cruises with Carnival. They are great fun and you just walk back to your cabin when the festivities are over.

We will be on the Vista for NYE too! This will be our 3rd NYE cruise and it's a lot of fun - we are in our 50's and my husband and I are traveling with my sister and her partner. Like others have said, there is a big party outside on the Lido deck with a live band, lots of blowers, blinking objects etc., with a satellite countdown of the ball dropping from New York. Free champagne all around. It's one big huge party -- everyone usually disperses to different venues around the ship around 1:30 or so.

I am not sure what will be on the Vista -- this year will be a little different in that it's usually an elegant night but boarding night is usually not an elegant night. Regardless, you will have all kinds of dress forms. We will probably be casual business/comfortable. We had planned on eating at the Steak house but reservations are full already so we will eat in the MDR where they give out NYE party favors.

We've always had a blast!

Edited by nednrom

As others have said it will be a great party. However, we did a New Year's cruise on Celebrity and we swore we will never do it again--the ship was overrun with children. Go in with the expectations that there will be lots of children and a max capacity ship and enjoy the party!

We've been on a few New Year's Eve cruises & agree with what everyone else has said--it's a huge party on Lido with hats, music, dancing, champagne (but it gets so crowded it can be hard to get some). Inside is a balloon drop but I've never gone inside. Last year, it poured at 11:45 pm and everyone just kept dancing. The biggest party I've ever been to. We're not doing one this year and I'm kinda sad about it.