A tip about the QM2 stateroom lighting (switches)

mainewoods

Here's a tip about the new remastered QM2 stateroom lighting (switches), that I experienced while on board last week.

Hopefully I can explain this right...

First, all the lights are turned on and off by wall switches just like any other normal overhead lights.

But, the lights are somehow activated by a key card type card in a slot by the door. I found out the hard way (after wondering why all my lights turned off after a few minutes) that the card in the slot, if removed (even just a bit) somehow turns off the lights after a while. My SIL had a room on the 13 deck (inside cabin) and for some reason, the slot didn't have a card. She was sitting in her room, when all of a sudden, all the lights turned off. Now this might not be a big deal in a room with a window (during daylight), but it sure is a big deal if you're in an inside cabin, or in the shower. Luckily, she remembered that in some hotels, you have to to use your key card in that slot, so she did.

My slot had a blank 'platinum' card in it, but what the room steward does, is places the 'make up room/privacy please' card in that same slot. So when I come in and want to remove the privacy please card and put it outside my door, it sometimes would shift the blank platinum card just a bit, and after a while, my room lights went out.

I wish they would inform guests of this feature, as it could be dangerous if one is left in the dark fumbling around wondering what happened with the lights.

At least that's what was our experience. But being that this was a new feature to us, perhaps there's something about that card slot that we don't know. ???

Edited by mainewoods

The intent is that you stick your room key card in the slot, and when you take the key with you as you leave the room it turns the light off and saves power. It's common in larger European hotels.

But any card in the slot will keep the lights on - a driver's license, library card or auto club card will work as well as the room key does.

For those of us that are not European travelers, this may be something that we're not familiar with.

I'm hesitant to put my own key card in the slot, because I can see that it would be easily forgotten about, and left there when I leave the room.

And even with the other type cards in the slot, the steward places the privacy please/make up room card in that same slot, so removing it wiggles any other card enough to sometimes to cause lights to go off.

Maybe it's my career as a safety professional, and my low risk tolerance, but I still think that Cunard should have a note with directions or something above the slot. Why would they not recognize this, and assume that everyone knows about this or will figure this out on their own? I'm concerned about the guest that comes into the room, removes the privacy please card (which may wiggle the other card out of place) and gets in to take a quick shower... only to be left in the dark.

Here's a tip about the new remastered QM2 stateroom lighting (switches), that I experienced while on board last week.

Hopefully I can explain this right...

First, all the lights are turned on and off by wall switches just like any other normal overhead lights.

But, the lights are somehow activated by a key card type card in a slot by the door. I found out the hard way (after wondering why all my lights turned off after a few minutes) that the card in the slot, if removed (even just a bit) somehow turns off the lights after a while. My SIL had a room on the 13 deck (inside cabin) and for some reason, the slot didn't have a card. She was sitting in her room, when all of a sudden, all the lights turned off. Now this might not be a big deal in a room with a window (during daylight), but it sure is a big deal if you're in an inside cabin, or in the shower. Luckily, she remembered that in some hotels, you have to to use your key card in that slot, so she did.

My slot had a blank 'platinum' card in it, but what the room steward does, is places the 'make up room/privacy please' card in that same slot. So when I come in and want to remove the privacy please card and put it outside my door, it sometimes would shift the blank platinum card just a bit, and after a while, my room lights went out.

I wish they would inform guests of this feature, as it could be dangerous if one is left in the dark fumbling around wondering what happened with the lights.

At least that's what was our experience. But being that this was a new feature to us, perhaps there's something about that card slot that we don't know. ???

It is nothing new that system has been in operation on modern cruise ships for a few years.

Certainly nothing new on Cunard.....Queen Elizabeth has the same system in all staterooms , HAL Koningsdam have them too ;)

As other posters have said, You use your key card to activate the power. The new Privacy/make up room cards, which have only just been introduced on the QM2 are not really designed for this. I expect our steward/ss occasionally use them as courtesy to ensure we have some form of lighting when returning back (late evenings) to the Cabin.

Edited by Bell Boy

Are the new "Do Not Disturb" cards more or less the same size as the room card?

So you stick it in the key slot rather than hanging it on the knob?

I think I saw one like that (in a European hotel :) ) but not onboard.

Edited by Underwatr

Underwatr,

Yes, you put the 'privacy please / make up my room' card right into the key slot on the outside of the door.

The morning breakfast room service card still hangs on the knob.

I was hoping to provide some good tips about that light card when I returned from my voyage, but apparently, I feel like the only person that's not seen them... go figure. I've never been on any other cruise line, and I don't travel internationally. I only go to NYC twice a year. Wow... I NEED to get out more!!!

Yes, I think the idea is, that it's more secure and doesn't accidentally fall off.

The problem is, some guests are still unsure where to stow it when not required.

The trick is ( as shown by my steward ) it fits very snugly in-between a slight gap, between the main light switch and the wall panel. ;)

Thanks for posting this Mainewoods!

We newby Cunarders need all the help we can get.:) And I am not familiar with this system (until now).:D

Cheers!

You're very welcome AZNative2000. Enjoy your trip on Queen Victoria in a couple weeks. I see you've sailed many other lines, so it would be nice to hear your opinion on how she compares to those lines. I think you'll be hooked. I've never sailed on any other than QM2 though.

Why would you want to leave Maine? :)

I'm not a good traveler, and yes, I usually don't leave Maine... much. Maybe that's why I'm so naive about these new fan-dangled switches.

It looks like QM2 stops at a new port in Rockland in 2018. I don't see any for Bar Harbor any more in the voyage (via destination) search. Too bad, as I'm sure people loved it.

I'm not a good traveler, and yes, I usually don't leave Maine... much. Maybe that's why I'm so naive about these new fan-dangled switches.

It looks like QM2 stops at a new port in Rockland in 2018. I don't see any for Bar Harbor any more in the voyage (via destination) search. Too bad, as I'm sure people loved it.

Hi mainewoods. Well, I don't know about you not being a good traveler, but you definitely are a thoughtful fellow passenger! Thanks for the heads up! We have a mini-flashlight, high intensity that attaches to a cord. I'll hang that on the hook on the bathroom door, just in case :) Cheers, Salacia

P.S. Bar Harbor - would have loved to dock there, but QM2 had some serious issues docking due to weather. So next time, we'll just drive there :)