Oct. 6th: Valor missing Grand Turk

CruzinScotty

Glory was supposed to arrive 90 minutes after us. I guess we couldn't wait...? calm seas they took us southwest, we are now off of Cuba and. Shielded by Andros island for now. Looks like port Canaveral will get hit hard. Captain to talk at 10:30 am. I expect port being closed will delay our return but. Will find out tomorrow. Time for comedy now.:)

I guess I can use this as a bit of a "Live from the Valor" thread when I have a chance to check the net.

They are keeping us FAR form the storm. I could see the mountains of Cuba at breakfast. I can see on the Carnival site that tomorrows embarkation looks to start late. I guess that means we'll arrive a few hours late. But, Cocoa Beach got it worse than other areas and they would just start assessing. The port can't open without electricity and staff that may have evacuated.

In the mean time, it's a great day at sea. One of our comics, Chas Elstrom (sp?) had the foresight to fly to San Juan and get on early instead of the original plan of Grand Turk. So, at least we have comedy show. Kudos to Chas! He's very funny which makes it even better. :)

Thanks for the update CruzinScotty! I wish you and all a safe and smooth sailing back toward home.

I remember Chas from my Freedom cruise two years ago. He is funny! He does some awesome sound effects! Comedy often goes right over my head lol, but I GOT his:D

Edited by SMSACE6

I guess I can use this as a bit of a "Live from the Valor" thread when I have a chance to check the net ...

Thanks for updating onboard "live" - it's one of the best "shelter in place" vs. those in Brevard County that chose to not do the mandatory evacuation ordered, half of the county residents lost electricity and water supply to the islands cutoff - transformers popping. Cocoa and PC are still getting smacked with 100+ wind, from live Orlando news feed coming in - http://www.wesh.com/weather/hurricanes/tropical-storm-matthew-forms-near-caribbean/41834318

First responders are not going out on any & all rescue calls until wind dropped down to below 50 or 40 mph, too dangerous for dispatching since last night. High tides for coast is at noon next, and combined with the wind & rain, flooding isn't over yet. Conditions expected to improve later today and curfew was in place ... so damage assessment and recovery might not happen until much later and/or into tomorrow morning when it is safe for crews to roll their trucks, machinery and equipments, etc. Forecasters not expecting the storm to not pull away from the area, further north toward GA and SC until tonight.

From Oceanweather's maritime data on waves & seas, it'll be a rough ride coming in toward PC area as the hurricane is still spinning, hang on tight to those railings and stairs while onboard as the ship come in tomorrow ... hopefully.

FYI - from another post, Port of Miami hoping to re-open today upon USCG safety inspection and MIA airport resuming flight ops gradually today.

Edited by mking8288

Thanks for updating onboard "live" - it's one of the best "shelter in place" vs. those in Brevard County that chose to not do the mandatory evacuation ordered, half of the county residents lost electricity and water supply to the islands cutoff - transformers popping. Cocoa and PC are still getting smacked with 100+ wind, from live Orlando news feed coming in - http://www.wesh.com/weather/hurricanes/tropical-storm-matthew-forms-near-caribbean/41834318

First responders are not going out on any & all rescue calls until wind dropped down to below 50 or 40 mph, too dangerous for dispatching since last night. High tides for coast is at noon next, and combined with the wind & rain, flooding isn't over yet. Conditions expected to improve later today and curfew was in place ... so damage assessment and recovery might not happen until much later and/or into tomorrow morning when it is safe for crews to roll their trucks, machinery and equipments, etc. Forecasters not expecting the storm to not pull away from the area, further north toward GA and SC until tonight.

From Oceanweather's maritime data on waves & seas, it'll be a rough ride coming in toward PC area as the hurricane is still spinning, hang on tight to those railings and stairs while onboard as the ship come in tomorrow ... hopefully.

FYI - from another post, Port of Miami hoping to re-open today upon USCG safety inspection and MIA airport resuming flight ops gradually today.

Thanks for the update on Cocoa, PC area as well!

At noon, the Captain said we were still 25 miles off of Cuba; we could still see the mountains. The Captain said he'd be back with us this afternoon. The Carnival site says an update after 6PM.

Things work out for a reason.

I've got my 92yo Dad on the ship with me. His house is between West Palm and Melborne. Luckily, I hear they didn't get it too bad; but I'd have been worried sick on the ship if he was there and I was here.

Yes, this ship has been the safest place to be. We have had calm seas and very few showers on our trip. We headed out past the Bahamas heading towards St. Maarten while it was heading west; we were protected by all of the islands between us.

The next concern, though we can't do a thing - we live inland from Charleston and now I hear the storm will skirt along the coast there closer than expected. Our house will be fine, but after 15 inches of rain last year from Joaquin; it may be quite a mess when it's time to head home. BTW - we were on the Sunshine in the Bahamas when Joaquin formed..... Hmmmm - maybe I need to stop cruising in high hurricane seasons. This is 2 years in a row. :)

Edited by CruzinScotty