Midtown restaurant question

parrotfeathers

I'm researching a restaurant before we go to the Majestic Theater. Saw that Sardi's was quite popular in that area. But is it really good or is it simply where people think they have to go to said they have been there?

Saw that Five Guys was #115 out of 9,000. Not interested in anything like that.

Really would like food that is memorable in a good way.

In the theater district, we've had good meals at Basera (Indian), China Green, Pongsri Thai, Kashkaval Gardens (Mediterranean), and Thalia (only been there for brunch).

Zagat's gives Sardi's 18/30 for food; I generally keep to places with 20+ ratings.

Italian - Becco, 355 West 46th Street / Seafood - Esca, 402 West 43rd Street / Steak - Gallaghers, 228 West 52nd Street or Frankie and Johnnie's, 320 West 46th Street / Old Showbiz Hangout - Sardi's / New Showbiz Hangout - Orso, 322 West 46th Street

Italian - Becco, 355 West 46th Street / Seafood - Esca, 402 West 43rd Street / Steak - Gallaghers, 228 West 52nd Street or Frankie and Johnnie's, 320 West 46th Street / Old Showbiz Hangout - Sardi's / New Showbiz Hangout - Orso, 322 West 46th Street

We went to Becco on 46th Street, good pasta...

Sardi's is an over-rated tourist trap.

I don't disagree; I've lived here since I got out of the army in 1973, and I've only been there twice (the second time with out-of-town visitors; I warned them, but you know how that goes. But I guess if one is a tourist---well, why not? At least Mama Leone's closed years ago, so I no longer have to go there with visitors.) I've never been to Hama; my wife and I must try that. I'm on the fence about Chez Napoleon (sometimes good, sometimes not); what do you think?

Edited by Langoustine

I would second Becco for Italian, Gallagher's at 228 w. 52 for best steakhouse anywhere; Hama at 11 W. 51 for extra good, very reasonable Japanese. Sardi's is an over-rated tourist trap.

I agree Becco is the best value for the money in the area, we do Becco at least twice on all of our NYC trips, but get a reservation asap , packed before Broadway shows start, really great Italian food with a very cheap wine list. Also love Gallagher which has my favorite bar in the area and great steaks, been there almost 100 years. We also did Sardi's once and thought it was fun

I know of a small French Restaurant very close to Phantom of Opera. It's family owned, not expensive and food is very good. Pergola Des Artistes. 252 W 46th Street.

They have a website, check out the menu. I personally think Becco is touristy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Depending on your budget and what you like to eat.

Sushi of Gari on 46th is top notch but expensive

Orso also on 46th is good Tuscan food

Lattanzi also on 46th is also Italian which I've enjoyed

46th between 8th and 9th avenue is called Restaurant Row for good reason and has many good restaurants. Becco is also on this street but I didn't really like it the one time I ate there.

If you don't mind walking a bit farther:

The Marshall on 10th Ave between 44th and 45th is a reasonably priced farm to table

Aureole on 42nd between Broadway and 6th is New American, fancy, and expensive