New to HAL - questions: Royal Dutch Tea, Japanese breakfast, Indonesian buffet?

shipfriend_max

Hi dear HAL-folks,

FINALLY for next year I have booked my first, long-awaited HAL cruise, 7 night Norway in Koningsdam. :)

I am really keen to try out the new ship, and I have some general questions to HAL, especially food:

-How many times do they offer Royal Dutch Tea? How does it work? Is it similar to the former Celebrity brunch buffets?

-I have read something about Japanese breakfast - are there daily international breakfast specials on the menu?

-What to learn about the Indonesian buffets?

-Does HAL offer free cold drinks/towels at the gangway when returning to the ship?

Thanks in advance for help. :)

Hi dear HAL-folks,

FINALLY for next year I have booked my first, long-awaited HAL cruise, 7 night Norway in Koningsdam. :)

I am really keen to try out the new ship, and I have some general questions to HAL, especially food:

-How many times do they offer Royal Dutch Tea? How does it work? Is it similar to the former Celebrity brunch buffets?

-I have read something about Japanese breakfast - are there daily international breakfast specials on the menu?

-Does HAL offer free cold drinks/towels at the gangway when returning to the ship?

Japanese Breakfast: Look down the page towards the bottom. BTW, this site is an excellent source for your menu and beverage questions.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Pinnacle-Grill-Braeakfast.pdf

Can't help with the rest.

Japanese Breakfast: Look down the page towards the bottom. BTW, this site is an excellent source for your menu and beverage questions.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Pinnacle-Grill-Braeakfast.pdf

Can't help with the rest.

Wow, great and thank you so far!! :)

The menu is for Pinnacle Grill, but does the regular main dining room offer the same menu?

I will browse the site, to find any helpful information.

Hi dear HAL-folks,

The Dutch tea is offered once or twice (or thrice) a cruise, depending on the length of the itinerary. It does not compare to the Celebrity brunch buffets, having a much smaller selection of food. It's a combination of traditional Dutch sweets and savories, some hot, some not. It's worth going to at least once.

Indonesian food is occasionally offered in the Lido market at the food station offering Asian specialties. On some cruises, usually B2B cruises, an Indonesian lunch might be offered in the MDR on "turnaround" day for those passengers doing the B2B itinerary. Sometimes there are Indonesian items on the MDR dinner menu. Sometimes the suite guests are treated to an Indonesian lunch in the Pinnacle Grill.

Hope those answers help.

Post Scriptum - Edited to add, that in ports that have hot weather, there are cold towels and cold water offered to passengers as they embark after a day ashore.

Edited by Old As Dirt Mom

The daily menu is the same every day for breakfast in both the main dining room and the Pinnacle Grill (for the Neptune and Pinnacle Suites).

So you can have your Japanese breakfast every day if you want.

Hours for the main dining room (and Pinnacle Grill) breakfast:

7:30 - 9 AM on port days

8 - 9:30 AM on sea days.

Hi dear HAL-folks,

Royal Dutch Tea will only be offered only once on a 7 day cruise.

Just your usual scones and tea sandwiches.

I think all your questions have been answered except for the cold towels & drinks at the gangway and the answer is yes :). There is nothing nicer than coming back on to HAL and being offered the towels, cold water/lemonade, etc.

In colder climates, they usually have hot towels and a warm drink and water.

It's one of the real nice touches of HAL IMO.

At first, thank you all for your helpful replies. :)

Some other things I'd like to know:

-What are the general opening times of the lido buffet restaurant? Is there continuous warm cuisine throughout the day? or are there any gaps?

-Does Explorations Café still offer sandwiches/snacks for free?

At first, thank you all for your helpful replies. :)

Some other things I'd like to know:

-What are the general opening times of the lido buffet restaurant? Is there continuous warm cuisine throughout the day? or are there any gaps?

-Does Explorations Café still offer sandwiches/snacks for free?

LIdo opens at 6:30 for Continental breakfast and 7:00 a.m. For full breakfast. Continental available until 11 a.m., full until 10:30 a.m.

Lido re-opens for lunch at 11:30. Lido Bistro (full selection) is open until 2. LIdo Deli is open until 5 pm.

Taco Bar, Pasta Bar & Dive in remain open all afternoon until 5 (except pasta bar which remains opens)

the Explorations Cafe still has pastries, snacks and petit sandwiches.