Allure made a u turn near labadee 7oct

TheIL

Allure spotted a small vessel at sea sincking. Allure made a u-turn to inspect if there are people needing rescue.

The security from labadee were called to inspect and confirmed its an abandoned fishing boat. The coast guard was allerted, and now we are back on our way.

Great to see how the captain wanted to provide help as needed even from such a large ship as the allure.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Allure spotted a small vessel at sea sincking. Allure made a u-turn to inspect if there are people needing rescue.

The security from labadee were called to inspect and confirmed its an abandoned fishing boat. The coast guard was allerted, and now we are back on our way.

Great to see how the captain wanted to provide help as needed even from such a large ship as the allure.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

That is the rule of the sea - any vessel will assist another in distress. We were on board an RCI ship a number of years ago that rescued 8 Cuban refugees from a small boat that sank shortly after they were brought on board. A US Coast Guard cutter came along side at midnight and transferred the refugees, who had been medically checked, fed, and given RCI crew overalls, on board the cutter and returned them to Guantanamo Bay.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

That is the rule of the sea - any vessel will assist another in distress. We were on board an RCI ship a number of years ago that rescued 8 Cuban refugees from a small boat that sank shortly after they were brought on board. A US Coast Guard cutter came along side at midnight and transferred the refugees, who had been medically checked, fed, and given RCI crew overalls, on board the cutter and returned them to Guantanamo Bay.

I'm pretty sure I was on this cruise, it was the Freedom. I wasn't aware of the transfer at midnight though.

And yep, he's correct, it is a Maritime law.

I'm pretty sure I was on this cruise, it was the Freedom. I wasn't aware of the transfer at midnight though.

I'm sure ours was not the only cruise on which this, or something similar, has happened. But we've only cruised on Freedom once and that was recently, and this did not occur on that cruise. Our experience was on a Voyager class ship - which I believe was Adventure - and was a number of years ago.

Well, yes and no. It is correct that a vessel Master must render such assistance to a vessel in distress as practical, without endangering his ship, crew, or cargo (passengers). However, this is limited to having received a distress signal or call from the stricken vessel. No such signal was received from a derelict fishing boat.

Further, it is up to the flag state of the vessel rendering assistance as to what measures need to be done, and what penalties result from not responding.

What the Captain was doing was investigating a "hazard to navigation", which could cause an accident, and reporting the hazard to the authorities. A small fishing boat drifting at night without lights could be hit and damage the propellers of even a large cruise ship.

Edited by chengkp75

Well, yes and no. It is correct that a vessel Master must render such assistance to a vessel in distress as practical, without endangering his ship, crew, or cargo (passengers). However, this is limited to having received a distress signal or call from the stricken vessel. No such signal was received from a derelict fishing boat.

Further, it is up to the flag state of the vessel rendering assistance as to what measures need to be done, and what penalties result from not responding.

What the Captain was doing was investigating a "hazard to navigation", which could cause an accident, and reporting the hazard to the authorities. A small fishing boat drifting at night without lights could be hit and damage the propellers of even a large cruise ship.

Thanks once again for your insight.

Edited by leaveitallbehind