Confused about the prepaid gratuities promo

4THELOVEOFBOO

Hi everyone! This our first cruise with NCL, we have done a couple with carnival. I have a question about the free at sea promotion, we selected UBP and prepaid gratuities for our two options. I have seen some posts on here that there is "extra" gratuity on the beverage plan just wondering what pre paid gratuity we got, is it the one that is tacked onto the beverage plan or the one that is per day that is supposed to be dealt out to all service people on the ship. Any insight would be great, just a little confused is all. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi everyone! This our first cruise with NCL, we have done a couple with carnival. I have a question about the free at sea promotion, we selected UBP and prepaid gratuities for our two options. I have seen some posts on here that there is "extra" gratuity on the beverage plan just wondering what pre paid gratuity we got, is it the one that is tacked onto the beverage plan or the one that is per day that is supposed to be dealt out to all service people on the ship. Any insight would be great, just a little confused is all. Thanks!

The pre-paid gratuities you got was the Daily Service Charge of $13.50 per day if in a non-suite or $15.50 if in a suite. You are still responsible for the gratuity/service charge on the UBP based on the retail price, which comes out to $14.22 per day per person.

You should have received some kind of booking confirmation, either from NCL if you booked directly, or from your TA. What does it say?

It should state somewhere that you chose those two perks, free gratuities and beverage package. And there should be a line in your payment summary that corresponds to the 18% service charge on the beverage package. As NLH Arizona said, it is currently $14.22 per person per day for the UBP. If one of you happens to be under 21, or if you booked sometime last year, you will see a different amount.

So pretty much..you have to pay approx $200 extra? The way I read it is you are prepaid for everything

Prepaid @ $79.00 USD per person per day x Cruise Days plus 18% gratuity and beverage service charge.

Edited by racefan1965

Yes, if there are two of you on a 7-day cruise.

(Assuming that: you are not in a suite, you did not book through an international office, one of you is not under 21, and you did not book before March 2016, which is when the service charge was increased to its current level.)

I am still a bit confused too. but I think the way it is; is that the 13.50 per day daily service charge is for the services of room steward, collective dining room servers and others who serve in the buffet and such. As for the the drink package. The drinks are included in the fare/package, but an 18pc service charge is charged to us on what the cost of the drink package would be if we bought it. Still not sure on this, but even so, with the the service charge, I think it is a good deal? maybe? not sure, but took the deal with my booking. I do really think this drink promo package is worth it, even with the added charge. 18pc prepaid on drinks means you don't have to tip more unless you want to/find a favorite bar server etc.

don't know if any of this makes sense. still trying to make sense of it myself, but still thinking it will be a good deal for me.

Edited by SMSACE6

Yes, if there are two of you on a 7-day cruise.

(Assuming that: you are not in a suite, you did not book through an international office, one of you is not under 21, and you did not book before March 2016, which is when the service charge was increased to its current level.)

I am Canadian does this change the charges?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You need to have about 2 drinks a day each and then you are on the right side of the deal.

Free Gratuities takes care of the DSC (Daily Service Charge); commonly referred to as the "tips".

Free Beverage takes care of the cost of all booze which costs $15 or less (you have to pay the difference for any drink you want that costs over $15 and then 18% of the over $15 charge). You just had to pay the 18% that you would have paid had you actually bought the Beverage Package; about $12.40 per day each

I guess I'm still confused...

$79 pp for 7 days plus 18% (99.54) is $682.54 each person.. so the 18% is included in the UBP..isn't it?

But, say if you got two drinks that were $20 each...you are charged $10 ($5 over for each drink) plus 18%...?

Lol..I work for an accounting firm, you'd think I was doing algebra

Or..simply put..we owe $99.54 each before we even get on the ship...

Doesn't matter really cause we're going on a cruise yippee!

Edited by racefan1965

I guess I'm still confused...

$79 pp for 7 days plus 18% (99.54) is $682.54 each person.. so the 18% is included in the UBP..isn't it?

But, say if you got two drinks that were $20 each...you are charged $10 ($5 over for each drink) plus 18%...?

Lol..I work for an accounting firm, you'd think I was doing algebra

Here's how it works.

If you buy the package ($79 per person per day) it is $553 per person or $1106 for 2. On that total, 18% is added ($99.54 per person or $199.08 for 2).

If you pick the package as a promo, the $553/$1106 is "free" but the guest still pays the $99.54/$199.08.

If you buy 2 drinks at $20 each, the package (bought or promo) covers the first $15 per drink. The extra $5 per drink PLUS 18% ($5.90 per drink) is paid by the guest on-board.

If someone with the package has 20 drinks on Tuesday but never goes over $15 per drink, the soon to be drunk won't have to pay anything extra.

If the same person has 3 drinks that are $20 each on Wednesday, the person will pay 3 x $5.90 on Wednesday.

The Beverage plan deal is this: NCL pays the daily cost of the plan, you pay the daily gratuity. It is not truly free, but it is a substantial discount. The gratuity package that you picked is not really gratuities but is in fact the daily service charge.

So pretty much..you have to pay approx $200 extra? The way I read it is you are prepaid for everything

Prepaid @ $79.00 USD per person per day x Cruise Days plus 18% gratuity and beverage service charge.

You seemed to miss the fine print. The details of the beverage package clearly specify that the passenger is responsible for the service charge on the UBP.

Now I'm confused our packages were free when we booked 18 months ago but we booked our Aunt in Jan. and her confirmation has the dining package with only 13.42 added for the tip to the total we paid.

Is the UDP that much higher? Also we get our DSC but are paying for the kids & Aunt the total is only 109.00 each for the week. Getting nervous because they are in school and have a fixed budget so we are paying (except drinks and shopping). My plan is to go to service desk second day and put money on their accounts for the DSC. Will I need more cash than planned. Will we have 18% also added for our dining & drink packages when we are on the ship? Heading out on Friday so want my ducks in a row no surprises.

As always thanks for all the great tips on this board.

Now I'm confused our packages were free when we booked 18 months ago but we booked our Aunt in Jan. and her confirmation has the dining package with only 13.42 added for the tip to the total we paid. Is the UDP that much higher?
If you purchased the 4-meal SDP for your aunt in January, the price should have been $74 plus $13.32 service charge. (The price is now $84 + $15.12.) The UBP (beverage package) costs about the same for each day of the cruise, so yes, it is much more expensive than a 3- or 4-meal dining package.
Will we have 18% also added for our dining & drink packages when we are on the ship?
No. If you are responsible for these charges, you know about it at the time of booking, and you are required to pay them before the cruise. You are not responsible for the 18% on your dining and beverage perks, because you are booked in a suite. (If you purchase any additional packages for passengers 3-8, you have to pay 18% at the time of purchase, as you did for your aunt's SDP.) Edited by hawkeyetlse

Now I'm confused our packages were free when we booked 18 months ago but we booked our Aunt in Jan. and her confirmation has the dining package with only 13.42 added for the tip to the total we paid.

Is the UDP that much higher? Also we get our DSC but are paying for the kids & Aunt the total is only 109.00 each for the week. Getting nervous because they are in school and have a fixed budget so we are paying (except drinks and shopping). My plan is to go to service desk second day and put money on their accounts for the DSC. Will I need more cash than planned. Will we have 18% also added for our dining & drink packages when we are on the ship? Heading out on Friday so want my ducks in a row no surprises.

As always thanks for all the great tips on this board.

You have a different version of the UBP, it is truly free. The difference in service charge for the SDP and the UBP is that much, because of the value of the packages.

Do you know that you can prepay the $109 DSC before you board the ship and don't have to carry that extra cash around?

You will not have 18% added to your packages after you board the ship. If it is added, it is collected as part of your cruise fare and due along with your other payments.

I guess I'm confused again..someone on a thread said we have to pay the 18% gratuity additional..we chose the UBP and prepaid service charges...

So I'm figuring we have to pay an add to $199.08, but when I looked at my vacation summary and payments it says...Choice Promotion Service Charge $199.08, the total I paid, and amount due is zero...I still don't get it

Some booked when the UBP promo included the 18%. Guest was not charged $99.54 each.

Some booked when the UBP promo did not include the 18%. Guest is charged $99.54 each.

Either way, the 18% is paid/taken care of before the guest is onboard.

Suite/Haven guests do not pay the 18% on any promo.

Edited by Two Wheels Only

As always I feel better asking.

Thanks you so very much folk's.

I did try to pre-pay the DSC for the kids but they said I needed to wait. First two (myself & husband) have this as part of the promo as well as the drink package & dining. The kids got dining & soda. I think I will bring travelers checks to cover their DSC & Aunties. Then whatever is left put on our on board account. Your right I don't want to carry to much cash and because we put the money away for each vacation ahead of time I don't like to go over on the cc that much.

I like my cruises and like most folk's need to plan a budget for them :).

Thanks again keep safe.