Driving FLL to Orlando

missscarlet

The drive is extremely flat, I wouldn't call the ride scenic. It is like any other highway in florida. You can take 95 up or take the toll road, which may save you 30 minutes. I would take the toll road, it cost 5 bucks and you save time AND traffic.

As the previous posts have said, the turnpike is the most direct route. If you want to save some toll money, you can take U.S. 95 which parrallels the turnpike. At Fort Pierce you then switch over to the turnpike to Orlando. 95 during rush hour can be a big pain. Once outside the FLL area its o.k. Its about a 3 hour ride with not much to see.

I would take the toll road, it cost 5 bucks and you save time AND traffic.

From I-595 to SR 528 near MCO, the cash toll is $16.65, not "5 bucks."

On a weekday, I'd take I-95 and then cut over on U.S.192 or S.R. 528, depending on where you're going in Orlando.

There are three ways to Orlando.

1. Turnpike, not scenic, tolls, fastest.

2. I95 to beach line, I95, not scenic, Beach line tolls, second fastest.

3. U.S. 27 to I-4, 27 is the old way, about 5 hours, but you will see some sights and small towns.

How do tolls work with rental car? Is there a place to pay or do we need to set it up with rental company?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Each rental car company is different. Most will not charge you if you pay the toll in cash, but there are toll roads in FLA that are unmanned and require electronic payment. Between FLL and MCO you should be okay paying cash for the tolls, but double check with the car rental company.

Each rental car company is different. Most will not charge you if you pay the toll in cash, but there are toll roads in FLA that are unmanned and require electronic payment. Between FLL and MCO you should be okay paying cash for the tolls, but double check with the car rental company.

Rental car companies will rip you off. You can go to any Publix and buy a Sunpass. Register it under your name. During the application process online, it will ask if it's for a rental car, say yes https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar

Although the drive itself isn't particularly attractive, there are a few interesting places to stop off at along the Atlantic coast (ift you have the time). Palm Beach, for example is very nice. If you haven't yet visited the Kennedy Space Center at Cape Canaveral, it's really worthwhile visiting. You need to allocate a full day to it, however.

http://FloridaCoast.ca

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all.

I'm going to tag a question on to this thread, which has been very helpful.

My family of 6 will be heading to Orlando for a week after debarking the Escape in December. We have a rental lined up from MIA and I want to be ready to handle the scare tactics the agents tend to use on use in regards to paying for tolls.

Last year we picked up a rental in Orlando with a drop off at Port Everglades. The rental agent told us that it was IMPOSSIBLE to get there without having to go through an unmanned toll and as such we NEEDED to buy their pass - to the tune of $40 usd (about $51 Canadian).

Since we went to the Tampa area before heading to Fort Lauderdale, the only toll we actually encountered was for around $2.00.

I want to be avoid getting taken to the cleaners again this time and do not want to pay for what I'm not using or overpay for what I am.

We will be heading directly from MIA to Orlando and I know there are tolls along the way, but my question is - will we be encountering any that are unmanned and therefore need to get a sunpass or will they all be manned and/or allow for cash/credit payment?

Many thanks to all for the advice!

Edited by JillK

Hi all.

I'm going to tag a question on to this thread, which has been very helpful.

My family of 6 will be heading to Orlando for a week after debarking the Escape in December. We have a rental lined up from MIA and I want to be ready to handle the scare tactics the agents tend to use on use in regards to paying for tolls.

Last year we picked up a rental in Orlando with a drop off at Port Everglades. The rental agent told us that it was IMPOSSIBLE to get there without having to go through an unmanned toll and as such we NEEDED to buy their pass - to the tune of $40 usd (about $51 Canadian).

Since we went to the Tampa area before heading to Fort Lauderdale, the only toll we actually encountered was for around $2.00.

I want to be avoid getting taken to the cleaners again this time and do not want to pay for what I'm not using or overpay for what I am.

We will be heading directly from MIA to Orlando and I know there are tolls along the way, but my question is - will we be encountering any that are unmanned and therefore need to get a sunpass or will they all be manned and/or allow for cash/credit payment?

Yes, you absolutely will need a SunPass coming from Miami. Miami-Dade County and parts of Broward County, south of Ft. Lauderdale have all-electronic tolling. Cash payments are not possible. Shop around, because SunPass costs vary depending on the rental car company you use. I believe Alamo is one of the cheapest.

Thanks Orlando Vic.

I already have the rental through Thrifty and since the cost has tripled since I booked, I won't be looking to switch.

My parents snowbird often and have a transponder. Do you know if there is a way that I can use theirs and pay directly for charges incurred on my rental?

Thanks!

My parents snowbird often and have a transponder. Do you know if there is a way that I can use theirs and pay directly for charges incurred on my rental?

There are two kinds of SunPasses. If they have the portable transponder, then it should work on your rental. Not so with the sticker type. They are not removable without deactivating it. Read this https://www.sunpass.com/selectAcceptAgreementPurchaseTransponder.action