Help me upgrade my camera

mr.jdm

Hey folks,

We just got back from a cruise and i think its time to upgrade our "vacation" camera. Previously we would take our Canon T1i and few lens when we go on holidays or cruise, well over time that got annoying lugging it around. So past few years we ended up just taking our waterproof Panasonic Lumix dmc-ts3 12.1mp. It was good for portability but picture quality was ok. Not the best not the worst.

So now wanting to upgrade our camera. Can anyone suggest a good point and shoot. Waterproof or not. Just looking for something that takes good low light shots nice to carry around for travels. Or should i got mirrorless like sony a6000?

Thanks in advance

Point and shoot cameras use smaller sensors, resulting in lower image quality, especially in low light. But they keep things simple, and are very compact. In some ways, the new iPhone 7plus may be the best point and shoot currently on the market.

The a6000 is a dslr without the mirror. It's sensor is actual a tiny bit larger than your T1i, combined with being a much newer sensor, the image quality, especially in low light, will be far superior to the t1i. But it is larger than a p&s. And to reach the potential of the camera, you need to use the right lenses, which can get expensive and further increase the size of the camera.

A note on the A6000.

I have not replaced my P&S for travel since I moved to the Sony A6000. Though I have a fair selection of lenses for it, I still use the 16-50PZ kit lens fairly often. The 16-50 is very compact (it collapses when turned off) and though is doesn't have the quality of a bagful of $800 prime lenses, it is a solid performer and allows the A6000 to be carried in a jacket pocket.

Samples: A6000 with 16-50PZ

p674624076-5.jpg

p1110692001-5.jpg

p1110695496-5.jpg

p1110699599-5.jpg

We have this one printed at 24x36 on metal and I've never had someone say, "not bad for a kit lens"!p1556213187-5.jpg

I switched to the Sony mirrorless system after years of hauling around a DSLR (or SLR back in the day) and a bag of lenses. The weight savings coupled with no loss of quality (better in many cases) have made me a happy traveller.

There is a thread dedicated to tips and tricks with the A6000 here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2215195

Many of the regular forum members have posted some good stuff in answering many questions.

Good luck with your choice...it's hard with so many great cameras available these days.

Dave

Edited by pierces

fyi.... the a6000 is two models old.... the a6500 was just announced...

https://www.google.ca/search?q=sony+a6500&tbm=nws

But it's still in production, half the price (if that matters) and still the best-selling interchangeable-lens camera ever...for good reasons! :)

Dave

Edited by pierces

Hey folks,

We just got back from a cruise and i think its time to upgrade our "vacation" camera. Previously we would take our Canon T1i and few lens when we go on holidays or cruise, well over time that got annoying lugging it around. So past few years we ended up just taking our waterproof Panasonic Lumix dmc-ts3 12.1mp. It was good for portability but picture quality was ok. Not the best not the worst.

So now wanting to upgrade our camera. Can anyone suggest a good point and shoot. Waterproof or not. Just looking for something that takes good low light shots nice to carry around for travels. Or should i got mirrorless like sony a6000?

Thanks in advance

Waterproof cameras have many compromises to make a waterproof package [slow lens, slow focus, tiny sensor].

There are cameras that are in between the waterproof / travel zoom cameras and the interchangeable lens camera. Two examples of this are the Fuji X100, and the Ricoh GR. Both have large sensors [similar in size to a SLR camera], fast fixed lenses, and can produce high quality images. The Fuji has an interesting hybrid viewfinder between an optical peep viewfinder and electronic, and handles like a classic rangefinder camera.

Other examples are the Canon 'G' series, and Fuji X30 - these use larger sensors than most, brighter lenses and have a zoom range optimized for taking pictures of people [from wide angle to a good 'portrait' length].

Still a third example would be a smaller interchangeable lens camera - like the 'micro four thirds' from Olympus or Panasonic.

And for comparison - I have a Panasonic FZ-50 'bridge' camera, a Fuji F505 'travel zoom' camera, a Panasonic LX7 large sensor compact, and just purchased an Olympus OMD M10 mk2 & a couple of 'kit' lenses.

Edited by TheOldBear
spelling

A note on the A6000.

I have not replaced my P&S for travel since I moved to the Sony A6000. Though I have a fair selection of lenses for it, I still use the 16-50PZ kit lens fairly often. The 16-50 is very compact (it collapses when turned off) and though is doesn't have the quality of a bagful of $800 prime lenses, it is a solid performer and allows the A6000 to be carried in a jacket pocket.

Samples: A6000 with 16-50PZ

p674624076-5.jpg

p1110692001-5.jpg

p1110695496-5.jpg

p1110699599-5.jpg

We have this one printed at 24x36 on metal and I've never had someone say, "not bad for a kit lens"!p1556213187-5.jpg

I switched to the Sony mirrorless system after years of hauling around a DSLR (or SLR back in the day) and a bag of lenses. The weight savings coupled with no loss of quality (better in many cases) have made me a happy traveller.

There is a thread dedicated to tips and tricks with the A6000 here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2215195

Many of the regular forum members have posted some good stuff in answering many questions.

Good luck with your choice...it's hard with so many great cameras available these days.

Dave

Wow stunning photos! Any post processing done to it? Also are these shot with the 16-50 kit lens?

Wow stunning photos! Any post processing done to it? Also are these shot with the 16-50 kit lens?

They are all JPEGS with some brightening where needed and sometimes a little bump in the color. I leave my color set to "Standard" since I find it better to add saturation than tone it down.

All were shot with the 16-50 on an A6000. To be fair, I have changed to Sony's 18-105 F/4 G zoom for my "go-to" travel lens. It has a bit more reach, a constant f/4 aperture and it's sharp wide open. I still use the 16-50 when portability is needed as the 18-105 is considerably larger. As a compromise lens, the 16-50 doesn't make me feel like I'm giving up a lot and experience has shown me that any crappy photos taken with it are purely a user issue.

So it looks like a6000 is the way to go than say something along the lines of sony rx100?

Depends on your desire for portability. The RX 100 is a fantastic camera. Tiny, versatile and will produce great images even in low light. The compromise is that you only get the one lens. A good one, but just one. I came close to buying one this year to replace my old P&S, but as I said above, I've found the A6000 to be plenty portable.

Dave

So it looks like a6000 is the way to go than say something along the lines of sony rx100?

I've owned both the a6000 and rx100 and traditional dslr. The rx100 was my portable camera and backup to my full frame dslr. When I got the a6000, I got rid of the rx100.

Differences between the rx100 and a6000:

The rx100 is a fair bit smaller -- pocketable. The a6000 is a bit too big for most pockets.

The a6000 has a bigger sensor and therefore potential for much better image quality, especially in low light.

The rx100 lens is superior to the a6000 kit lens. The a6000 has greater potential image quality, but when you combine sensor and lens: the rx100 can equal or surpass the a6000 in some situations. If you upgrade the a6000 lens, it will surpass the rx100, but will also be larger.

The a6000 has faster autofocus in most situations, except for the newest rx100. The rx100v will also have an exceptionally fast af system.

The zoom range of the rx100 is limited. While you can always change lenses to expand the range of the a6000.

So after reading up countless of pages and website. I think i have narrowed down my choices.

If i decide on interchangable lens then it would be a6000

For pocketable im somewhat leaning towards canon g7 mkii other choices are sony hx90v or rx100 Canon since i have always been a canon guy. Picked both of this mainly for its zoom range. I think these cameras are priced around mid level range.

So after reading up countless of pages and website. I think i have narrowed down my choices.

If i decide on interchangable lens then it would be a6000

For pocketable im somewhat leaning towards canon g7 mkii other choices are sony hx90v or rx100 Canon since i have always been a canon guy. Picked both of this mainly for its zoom range. I think these cameras are priced around mid level range.

The hx90v is a consumer p&s with tiny sensor and slow lens. Entirely different class than the rx100. Terms of price, the rx100 ranges from around $400 to $1000 depending on the model. The newest model adds truly fantastic autofocus.

A comparison of the rx100 and g7x

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/canon-powershot-g7-x-mark-2-vs-sony-rx100

I love my HX50V until I look at pictures from the A6000. They are just SO much clearer and sharper.

We're going to Hawaii in the spring and I will invest in the waterproof case and buy a used 16-50 for snorkeling. I've "made do" for a lot of years with lesser equipment - and I'm still not ready to make the leap to the a6300 - because the result from the a6000 is just so good.

On the Yellowstone trip we just took I used the HX50V as a backup for wildlife (it has a 30x zoom). I got some good pictures with it, but they just didn't compare to the A6000. My skills don't compare to some of the others on this board, but I am finally getting those pictures I always wanted.

I bought a reconditioned a6000 with the 2 lens kit. I've added a wide angle and the 24-240mm (to reduce the need to change lenses on the fly).

So, I guess I'm saying, I would go with the 6000. It's more of an investment and it depends on what you do with your photos. The size of the camera is good, the weight is great and the photo quality is fantanstic.

Vic

I'm debating selling my a6300 to upgrade to the A6500 if anyone is interested.

Similar situation. I was going to convert my A77 to infrared but now I'm thinking about selling it and most of my A-mount lenses to finance an A6500 body. The A6000 will then be converted to IR and the A6300 will move to its place as a second body.

I'm in no hurry since the A6000 and A6300 continue to amaze, so I'm waiting on the full reviews of the A6500 to tip me over the edge. The in-body stabilization is the one thing I miss from my time with the Minolta/Sony DSLRs. By adding that to the A6500, Sony just killed full-size DSLRs for me permanently.

Then again, maybe I'll wait until next year.

It's a great time to be a photographer, though it's a little tough on the wallet keeping current! :)

Dave

Similar situation. I was going to convert my A77 to infrared but now I'm thinking about selling it and most of my A-mount lenses to finance an A6500 body. The A6000 will then be converted to IR and the A6300 will move to its place as a second body.

I'm in no hurry since the A6000 and A6300 continue to amaze, so I'm waiting on the full reviews of the A6500 to tip me over the edge. The in-body stabilization is the one thing I miss from my time with the Minolta/Sony DSLRs. By adding that to the A6500, Sony just killed full-size DSLRs for me permanently.

Then again, maybe I'll wait until next year.

It's a great time to be a photographer, though it's a little tough on the wallet keeping current! :)

Dave

I'm really torn.... Though for me, the A6300 is not my main camera. Still, the A6500 seems to have some really nice advantages and make it much more usable. So if my total upgrade cost was $600-700.... I'm torn.

Here is what I'm looking at as advantages:

IBIS won't be a huge deal as I mostly shoot with stabilized lenses. But I really love the IQ of my Zeiss 24/1.8.. and it isn't stabilized. So I often don't use it indoors. With IBIS, it may suddenly become my main lens.

Second, I HATE changing the AF point on the A6300. Using the touch screen essentially as a thumb pad for moving the AF point... this could really make using the A6500 more enjoyable.

And I certainly won't object to an extra custom button, slightly better IQ, etc.

I'm a fan of the wide range of all the inexpensive, high-quality manual lenses available for the E-mount, so the IBIS is the big shiny spot catching my eye.

Agonizing over upgrading our already-amazing cameras truly qualifies as a first-world problem. :)

Dave

Going to New Zealand and Australia in January. Would like to upgrade from

my G15 but I am a small woman and hate hauling big cameras around.

Plus I hike and shoot in Northern Arizona all summer and want to use it for that.

Need all the opinions I can get.

Plus I hike and shoot in Northern Arizona all summer and want to use it for that.

I moved to the Sony NEX/Alpha cameras from DSLRs a few years ago and one of the current crop has developed quite a following here on the forum. The Sony A6000 is a mirrorless, interchangeable lens camera with an APS-C sensor (same size as most consumer and enthusiast DSLRs or, about 9x the area of the G15) In spite of that, the body it is only a tiny bit larger than the G15.

p795051615.jpg

The 16-50 collapsible power zoom that comes with it is a capable kit lens and the whole camera will still fit into a jacket pocket.

Here's the thread dedicated to info and tips on the A6000: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2215195

There's my 2¢...

Dave

I'm really torn.... Though for me, the A6300 is not my main camera. Still, the A6500 seems to have some really nice advantages and make it much more usable. So if my total upgrade cost was $600-700.... I'm torn.
Just found this article about the A6300. Apparently there was an overheating problem on long videos.

http://www.diyphotography.net/sony-a6500-vs-a6300-overheat-test-looks-like-fixed/

Nothing wrong with the G series.

Or the new EOS M (can't remember the number) looks OK.

Just found this article about the A6300. Apparently there was an overheating problem on long videos.

http://www.diyphotography.net/sony-a6500-vs-a6300-overheat-test-looks-like-fixed/

It's well known. It's never been a problem for me on the a6300 but I rarely use video. I've shot 15-20 minutes without difficulty. For people who routinely try to shoot 29 minutes of 4K video, the a6300 has been known to overheat and shut down. Supposedly it's better in the a6500. But again, I do such limited video, it's not an issue for me personally.

Same here. I do little, if any, video and I have never had the camera overheat. I shot an outdoor wedding last June in 100° weather in Atalanta and even with burst mode in use, the camera did much better with the heat than I did.

Dave