Formal night

olesiabr

I've read the FAQ on Princess, and I've done a search on these boards, but I am still confused.

On formal night in the MDR, whether ATD or Traditional, what is required for men: are slacks and long sleeve button down sufficient, or are jackets required? We are on an Alaska cruise

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I've read the FAQ on Princess, and I've done a search on these boards, but I am still confused.

On formal night in the MDR, whether ATD or Traditional, what is required for men: are slacks and long sleeve button down sufficient, or are jackets required? We are on an Alaska cruise

You can probably get away with just slacks and long sleeve shirt but it's not really formal or even semi-formal. Some Maitre 'd's will ask you to put on a jacket; most won't. Your waitstaff will be dressed formally. The FAQs and requested dress is what's the norm as the vast majority of passengers respect the request.

Will a gentleman wearing slacks and an open collar shirt be allowed in the dining room? Yes.

Will that gentleman be among the least dressed up men in the dining room? Yes.

If being among the least dressed up people would cause self-consciousness, be advised.

If not, don't sweat it.

The key to not wearing a jacket is the long sleeve shirt. They overlook the fact that many guys don't like to wear them. I always pack at least one in case they don't let me in with a short sleeve shirt but you can always roll up your sleeves after being seated and still not have to pack a jacket that you really won't use.

Thanks all. We'll pack jackets if we have the space. Don't want to know what they will look like after a week in the suitcase since we will be touring on land for a week first
Good decision. Those dining rooms can be cold. And keeping in the spirit of the evening will actually increase the enjoyment.

One hint shared some time ago was to pack the coat in a plastic garment bag, like those one would get from a cleaners. When the coat is folded neatly it seems to minimize wrinkles, even when using small suitcases. And remember there are irons in the laundry rooms aboard ship. Most cruises I will send a formal shirt out for pressing by the ship's laundry as soon as I get the suitcase open. Never a problem with the coat, though.