Officer Designation on Jacket Sleeves

I just got off of the Explorer and I noticed that there was one officer who had the typical gold band stripes on the sleeves of his jacket at the wrist but he also had red band stripes between those gold stripes on his jacket sleeves. I have never seen red stripes on an officer's jacket.

Does anyone know what the red stripes signify? Perhaps the ship's doctor or some other officer designation? It's a puzzlement to me and I wasn't in a position to ask him what the significance was. Does anyone know?

Bob's right, the red inter-stripe color is for the medical department. Typically the nurses will only have the stripes and red background, the doctor will have a caduceus above the stripes. The hotel department supervisors have the silver or white background. Those without a background between their stripes are the deck and engine officers. There will be further breakdown of the deck/engine officers using additional symbols like propellers for engineers, lightning bolts for electricians, or one of the strips being formed into a diamond shape (sometimes an anchor instead) for the licensed deck officers.