Australia/New Zealand Cruise Questions

Turk1

We will share our personal experience. The first time we did Aussie/NZ it was a 12 day cruise from Auckland to Sydney. We flew to Auckland 8 days early, rented a car, and enjoyed North Island, NZ. Our cruise then took us around South Island where we also enjoyed NZ. After we arrived at Sydney we flew up to Cairns to spend a few days on the Great Barrier Reef.

As we were flying back the USA, DW and I agreed that we enjoyed Australia....but had fallen in love with NZ (a place we could live). We have since returned (and spent 2 weeks driving around South Island, NZ) to both countries which has just deepened our love of NZ. We have met many others who have a similar experience.

So my advice is that if you are taking a traditional Aussie/NZ cruise.....somehow find additional time (a few weeks is ideal) to truly discover NZ.

Hank

As a Kiwi who hears how great NZ is, when the tourist has only experienced the Auckland area, I salute you! Big ups for taking the time to tour 'the big island'. :)

Thanks to everyone! Information is most appreciated. Thinking Feb, mid to late. Our Anniversary is the end of Feb so that would work out nice. We've heard so many people tell us that this is definitely the cruise to take and one we'll always remember.

That's our summer season, so make sure you have 50+sunscreen, hats, and sunglasses. I've seen roll-on sunscreen 50ml (2oz?) size, but the 250ml

(5oz?) size is a better price. I would recommend bringing your preferred brand-less chance of a reaction spoiling your holiday, even if the Liquid and Gels standards are a nuisance to comply with.

HTH.

That's our summer season, so make sure you have 50+sunscreen, hats, and sunglasses. I've seen roll-on sunscreen 50ml (2oz?) size, but the 250ml (5oz?) size is a better price. I would recommend bringing your preferred brand-less chance of a reaction spoiling your holiday, even if the Liquid and Gels standards are a nuisance to comply with. .

Great points on the need for the sun protection. A key reason, especially in New Zealand? Their air is so clean, clear and pure!! That makes having that protection so more needed in their locations. Remember that New Zealand is so far south and at a major distance away from big urban and industrialize areas. That lack of pollution makes the sun more intense and of danger here.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 157,482 views for this posting.

We did two cruises in AUS/NZ plus a fair amount of land travel.

Our first cruise was on Sun Princess. This turned out to be one of our best cruises ever. Food was amazing.

Second cruise was a last minute RCI. It was fine.

BUT...a big difference for us was the on board currency. Princess was AUD,RCI was USD. This made for a substantial increase in on board prices as compared to Princess.

As an aside...our RCI was a late booking. We planned to book with our usual on line North American TA. On an off chance we called the RCI Australia office while we were in Australia. We saved 30 percent by booking with them vs. booking in US/Canada.

Strongly recommend sunscreen but do not buy on the ship. Selection is poor, cost is very high.

Edited by iancal

More great responses. Being from Texas, we are very used to HOT Summers and the need for Sunblock. We always travel with sunblock regardless of where we go. NZ sounds GREAT! Looking forward to selecting the best trip for us. Thanks to everyone.

As a Kiwi who hears how great NZ is, when the tourist has only experienced the Auckland area, I salute you! Big ups for taking the time to tour 'the big island'. :)

In the interest of International relations, we salute you Kiwis for being among the most hospitable and warm hosts we have met....anywhere in the world :). What we also found interesting when driving around South Island are just how passionate the South Islanders are about their paradise. The only complaint we ever heard from a Kiwi is about how far NZ is from the rest of the world :). Another discovery (for us) were the amazing Pinot Noirs being made on the southern part of South Island. Many are not exported to North America....so guess we will have to return just to sip some more vino.

Hank

• 1 year later...

Two thoughts from Emerald in Feb '17...

We missed both Dunedin and Akaroa (Christchurch) due to fog, so 5 straight days at sea. Those

who went to Queenstown spent two days on a bus, chasing us up the coast. (I was bummed out

over missing the two ports of call until I compared their tales by comparison).

Whether you might prefer a round trip or one way, really depends upon whether you prefer double

the days at sea.

As an Aussie I would says go to New Zealand, an amazing place, but would do a land tour of NZ ,then a cruise Auckland to Sydney... would be a better idea, there is a couple of company's do a package I think about 19 days all up if you want a guided tour... just a thought.

Also to do the overland section Milford Sound to Dunedin, can be hit and miss due to weather not be able to get into Milford Sound.... so that it why suggested the land/sea tour, sort of a guarantee, to see want you want, considering you are coming half way round the world...

On one cruise round New Zealand we missed most of the south land due bad weather ( 8-10 metre seas ) and a lady had come from England, and done his cruise to see Dunedin and she missed out....

Cheers Don