Which Airport - EWR or LGA

Misty_Que

We are planning to spend 3 days in NYC BEFORE our cruise out of Cape Liberty. My question is, would it be better to fly in/out or LGA or EWR. JFK is out because it doesn't offer us any good flight options.

Both flights cost the same with very similar routes and times which is why I am having a hard time deciding. The only difference is the LGA flight arrives 26 minutes earlier than EWR. I also hear there is a lot of construction around LGA but we are arriving in January - will they be doing construction at that time? I know here in Canada our road construction shuts down for the winter.

We will be getting a car service for 4 adults to take us to our hotel in Midtown. SO based on transportation costs, tolls, airports, etc - which is the cheapest and best option. Thank you for your help!

I would go with EWR. very close to Bayonne. From EWR to Cape Liberty about 1/2 hour. LGA to Cape Liberty will be at least an hour if not more.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by carol54

I would go with EWR. very close to Bayonne. From EWR to Cape Liberty about 1/2 hour. LGA to Cape Liberty will be at least an hour if not more.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

If we fly into EWR, we won't be going to the port. We are going to Manhattan for a 3 night stay. So either way we will be travelling from Midtown to Cape Liberty on boarding day. But I do understand that Cape Liberty is closer to EWR for when we disembark.

Have you priced out flying into LGA and out EWR? Not sure what airline(s) you're looking at and what options you'd have, but it's at least worth pricing to see. It's generally a pretty easy ride from LGA into Midtown (depending on what's going on with construction impacting inbound flights). You'd need a car service to Cape Liberty and Cape Liberty to EWR, but you'd cut down on the most expensive and time consuming part of the ground transportation.

If the price jumps dramatically, you know the answer...

Have you priced out flying into LGA and out EWR? Not sure what airline(s) you're looking at and what options you'd have, but it's at least worth pricing to see. It's generally a pretty easy ride from LGA into Midtown (depending on what's going on with construction impacting inbound flights). You'd need a car service to Cape Liberty and Cape Liberty to EWR, but you'd cut down on the most expensive and time consuming part of the ground transportation.

If the price jumps dramatically, you know the answer...

Yes I have. We are using points and unfortunately it won't give me the preferred flight options that I need. One of the downfalls to using points I guess.

Yes I have. We are using points and unfortunately it won't give me the preferred flight options that I need. One of the downfalls to using points I guess.

Yep. Had to stay an extra day in London a year ago to use miles. Darn...

If those are actual airline miles versus third party points, you probably have enough status to call and ask without getting charged. You never know if an agent can override. Air Canada?

Yep. Had to stay an extra day in London a year ago to use miles. Darn...

If those are actual airline miles versus third party points, you probably have enough status to call and ask without getting charged. You never know if an agent can override. Air Canada?

No it is Air Miles which lets me use a few different airlines, but only offers me a few flight options. Even though I am top status with them, they won't do anything for me. I tried that for our flights last year.

I visit my daughter in NYC fairly often and have found it easier (and a bit less expensive) to Manhattan from LGA. You might look at ground transportation options to make your final decision. I flew home early morning flight on Monday from LGA and from Manhattan to LGA was 15 minutes. If your inbound I wouldn't worry so much about traffic and leaving yourself extra time to get to the airport. I used a car service and it was flawless.

The transportation company I am using is telling me it will be cheaper for us to fly in/out of EWR when you factor in tolls.

That's nonsense. Even if you were to come into Manhattan from LGA via the Midtown Tunnel or the RFK Bridge, which have tolls, rather than the free 59th St. Bridge, the tolls would still be less than what you will pay coming in from EWR.

Edit:

I just had a thought...are you using a car service that's based in NJ ? If so, what they're probably doing is charging you the tolls they will have to pay to get their vehicle from NJ to LGA. That's actually a common and not unreasonable practice, which is why a car service has to be selected with some knowledge of where their home base is. If you're flying into LGA, you're probably better off using a NY-based service, but if you're flying into EWR a NJ-based service, or one of the two largest NY services (Carmel or Dial 7) would work best. Carmel and Dial7 have cars going to and from EWR all the time, so they generally don't have to send an empty car from NY to pick you up, but NJ-based services do not regularly serve LGA, and will usually have to dispatch an empty car out to LGA to pick you up.

Edited by njhorseman

That's nonsense. Even if you were to come into Manhattan from LGA via the Midtown Tunnel or the RFK Bridge, which have tolls, rather than the free 59th St. Bridge, the tolls would still be less than what you will pay coming in from EWR.

Edit:

I just had a thought...are you using a car service that's based in NJ ? If so, what they're probably doing is charging you the tolls they will have to pay to get their vehicle from NJ to LGA. That's actually a common and not unreasonable practice, which is why a car service has to be selected with some knowledge of where their home base is. If you're flying into LGA, you're probably better off using a NY-based service, but if you're flying into EWR a NJ-based service, or one of the two largest NY services (Carmel or Dial 7) would work best. Carmel and Dial7 have cars going to and from EWR all the time, so they generally don't have to send an empty car from NY to pick you up, but NJ-based services do not regularly serve LGA, and will usually have to dispatch an empty car out to LGA to pick you up.

Yes I am using a company based in NJ. he is giving me an all inclusive rate and it is a few dollars cheaper than what Dial 7 has offered. I am thinking with all the construction everyone is talking about around LGA, maybe it is best to use EWR. Call me crazy but was kinda hoping to fly into LGA or JFK just because I never have. And EWR airport sucks for food options during our long wait after we get off the ship.

It's kind of a crap shoot no matter how you do it. From the EWR side you can get horribly stuck on the turnpike or Lincoln Tunnel. I know I've been in traffic for over 2 hours just to get into the tunnel. From LGA you have can have issues with traffic on the Grand Central Parkway (scratch that... you will have traffic on the Grand Central) and whatever bridge/tunnel you use to get over to Manhattan. All things being equal it should be faster for most Midtown locations to fly into LGA. However, I'd personally go through EWR as things usually aren't equal and you're less likely to get in caught in traffic from the NJ side.