Just off the Vista....Pros and Cons list and anything else you want to ask

bassmaster150

• 3 weeks later...
Actually they don't scan your S&S card. They use facial recognition software to do the trick. They scan in your passport photo, and apparently the software is good enough that it can find your photos.

LibratPDX ~ I don't remember them swiping the card but they do ask your cabin number before taking your photo. It was funny, I'm a senior white woman & some of my photos were of a group of 3 African Americans! I told the photo guy & he said the cabin number must have been wrong.;)

Facial Recognition fail!

I agree with you. We are going on the Vista for Christmas but even looking at the pictures, it looks very clausterphobic. (sorry for spelling) I LOVED the Breeze as well. May be my favorite ship.

The Vista atrium is neither ghastly nor claustrophobic. It is 3 decks high. The only bits of contrast were the orange bar stools. The majority of the ship is decorated in very subdued blues, browns and beige. The LED 'funnel' at the atrium bar changes patterns from time to time. One day it had effervescent bubbles, the next day tropical fish.

There is currently a grand Christmas tree in the Atrium set up as a photo op with an upholstered bench and Santa's mailbox.

Probably the worst thing on the Vista is the main show lounge. The long bench seats and tables are gone. Seating in the center is comprised of moveable chairs and no tables to place your drink. In the late evening, all the chairs are moved and it becomes the Disco. There is also a bar in the back.

Edited by georgiacruizer

I have only seen deck plans, what is the big open space mid-ship to toward aft on Deck 8? My cabin is right next to it and I'm starting to think it is open to the lower decks and the noise will travel up.

Edited by MarcyReally

I have only seen deck plans, what is the big open space mid-ship to toward aft on Deck 8? My cabin is right next to it and I'm starting to think it is open to the lower decks and the noise will travel up.

The movie theater....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As someone who used to manage a movie theater, trust me when I say, Carnival is not making a dime on the IMAX. Since Carnival is showing brand new releases they are entering into a contract to show these movies and even though these movies are digital you are still paying a cost to the film studio to "rent" the film to show. Then the film studios expect a certain amount of the box office because that is how they make their money. Movie theaters are lucky if they make ten to twenty cents for every ticket they sell. So if Carnival is making anything off the IMAX and their projector is a certified Christie IMAX digital projector then that profit is going to maintain the projector. The Xenon bulbs in those things normally have to be changed every 500 to 1000 hours and those bulbs are not cheap.. if they use Christie brand bulbs you are talking about 1200 dollars a bulb if not more.

Interesting information. Thanks.

Even if you add on all the surcharges Carnival is still cheaper than Celebrity!

Don't agree. I am booked on the vista for a february cruise out of Miami. Booked a guarantee inside for 500 versus a balcony on celebrity for 750 plus 50 bucks obc. All I get with carnival is a free bottle of water and its a 6 night cruise. Found it quite expensive in relation to other lines but going with kids and grandkids and its more about time spent with them. My cabin will only be assigned once we arrive at the port.

Sent from my SM-P550 using Forums mobile app

I don't believe the area you are referring to is the IMAX Theater. The Theater is more forward. The blank area, which appears on every deck, is most likely where the exhaust runs up to the funnel from the engines. There may also be parts of those areas that are only accessible by crew.

Probably the worst thing on the Vista is the main show lounge. The long bench seats and tables are gone. Seating in the center is comprised of moveable chairs and no tables to place your drink. In the late evening, all the chairs are moved and it becomes the Disco. There is also a bar in the back.

I was on the Vista for the TA in October. John Heard was with us and he said they would probably go back to the tables etc for the Horizon.