Haven't cruised Royal in over a decade!

Looking at booking one of the Oasis class ships for Spring break! We have not cruised RCCL in over 10 years but we have been cruising on other lines. The Oasis class ships look huge with lots to see and do, we are early 50's no children so tell me which ship should we choose? Also will it feel crowded at spring time?

If you loved RCCL long ago, you will see lots of changes. We sailed the Allure 4 years ago and she is amazing. Lots to do or just sit around and watch! Having said that, having not sailed for RCCL for 4 years ourselves, we saw a lot of changes last week when we sailed the Freedom. Service is still good but the "excellent" is missing. MDR food is ok but not like it once was. We ate at 3 specialty restaurants and They food was not memorable. The bars at the pools and interior on sea days were under staffed. Waiters from the specialty restaurants were standing in the entrance to the windjammer to sell you a reservation. I purchased to photos at $44 but with a 50% discount for the second photo. When I went to purchase more photos two days later, I was told I used my 50% discount already. Just seems to be nickel and diming you. I must say, the windjammer runs well and food was plentiful and servers are very helpful and happy.

We still had a wonderful time but I only mentioning this as you haven't cruised RCCL in some time.

We have sailed on both Allure and Oasis. They are really similar ships in my opinion. However, Allure has "Mama Mia" while Oasis has "CATS". I prefer "Mama Mia". I would pick ship based on departure port and itinerary. I like them both. This class is really worth experiencing. One point though... if you really like to see the ocean, you will need to consider an ocean view cabin of some sort. Unlike, smaller and older Radiance class ship, there are few ocean views from public areas.

Some differences vs. the past:

- No more flaming baked alaska, midnight buffets or chocolate buffets or ice sculptures

- More optional expenses --- drink packages, internet packages, specialty restaurants and options that cost extra in the main dinning room (eg if you want a whole lobster or prime steak.... lobster tails still offered on 2nd formal night on 7 day cruise)

- Can prepay gratuities before sailing

- amazing entertainment options, more spa services, also bigger and better suites

- I consider any meal I don't have to cook a great meal, many complain about the food... but I have never had a bad meal.. given the thousands being served. I am surprised at the overall quality.

Some thoughts on specialty restaurants and beverage package:

- Last cruise we purchased a 4 night specialty package on Allure for $90/pp. If I do this again.. I would purchase the smaller 3 night package... and schedule my first dinner on day 2.. then when I get on board I would look for one of the roaming waiters who are trying to sell dinners at the speciatly restaurants and see if I can get a good deal for night one. One couple we were with got Chops at $15/pp vs $39/pp. Another option is to just order a lobster one night for about a $20 upcharge. I like Giovanni the best. 150 Central park was more romantic, but I felt the Giovanni menus had more choices that I liked. Chops is a steak place so predictable. I felt that Chops was a bit louder than I would like and the meals were prepared so quickly I felt a bit rushed there.

- The have a variety of drink packages... which I find too much given how much I drink. I read somewhere that the breakeven point is about 4 drinks... I might average about 3/day. So I might as well buy as I go. We are Diamond members, so we get 3 drinks/day as a benefit. Note tea, regular coffee (non Starbucks or specialty coffees), iced tea and watered down lemonade and fruity drinks are available all say.. Orange juice available at breakfast, up charge for fresh juice.

- There are several beverage packages you might want to research the differences in offerings and pricing