Father & Son Chill Out Massage- For 12 Year Old?

IMKTDQT810

Hi Everyone,

DH loves his "cruise massages" and I just saw this one. But it states it is "intended" for 13-17 year olds (full info is below). A release needs to be signed and I wondered if anyone ever did this treatment with their 12 year old son and if that was allowed? I think this is something my son would really enjoy doing with his father.

Online Info:

This popular teen menu treatment gives you something more than a massage. It gives you 50-minutes of valuable time together. Your professional therapists will expertly stroke and knead your muscles until every ounce of stress is banished from your body. Go on dad - indulge in some quality time with junior! The listed price is per couple.

NOTES

Please Note: A parent or guardian will be required to sign a release on board for a minor to receive this treatment.

RESTRICTIONS

•This treatment is part of the ZSPA program and is intended for guests between the ages of 13 and 17. Please see Terms and Conditions for additional treatment restrictions.

Edited by IMKTDQT810

Despite the "ick" factor, if it says its intended for ages 13-17, why the expectation they toss that aside for your 12 year old?

When my kid was 15 and wanted a drivers license... nope, gotta wait until you are 16 cuz dems da rulez. I couldn't see myself at the DMV pleading "But my Jimmy really wants a license... can you make an exception?".

When I started looking at cruises and activities my 12 yr old daughter wanted to get a facial and when we looked at the FAQ section it says 12-17. But when I look now as if I was to actually book before sailing it says 13 for those services. Confusing.

https://www.carnival.com/~/media/Images/explore/onboard/spa-fitness/menus/zspa-menu.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am a spa person and I have never seen this sort of massage offered anywhere else on land.

12 year old boys are often quite private about their bodies and I wonder if a massage is really something your son would enjoy??? It is not typically something boys of that age receive???

It's the spa's description of the service that is not only creepy but offensive: "therapists will expertly stroke and knead your muscles."

LOL! If that's what you are thinking, believe me they won't! Perhaps "Stroke" wasn't the best choice of words. ;-)

Wow..I really didn't expect this thread to take the turn it did when I posted it yesterday. So let me explain a bit more....

DH enjoys getting massages on vacation (land or sea) and I have always gone out of my way to make that happen (Disney, Myrtle Beach, Luray....where ever we happen to vacation once a year). My son is normally with me when we "Drop dad off to get a Massage" since we normally have a rental car.

With saying that, my son only knows what a Massage really is other then when I describe them (once a year, during vacation). My thoughts were that he would like to be WITH his dad while they went and got one for the first time. If he went in and said "no way, Jose" then that is 100% fine with me. This would be for him to see if he would like them or not.

I am not a massage type of person...I know that and my son might not be also. But I thought it would be fun for him to try it out in this fashion.

But you all have valid points, I guess I should wait until he is over 12. Thanks everyone for your input, suggestions and thoughts!

If your son is really unsure of what it entails, why don't you do it at home - a sort of mini-massage?

Have him strip down like they do in the spa, put the towel over his bum - put oil on your hands and give him a massage - back, shoulders, calves, feet, etc. Then ask him if he would be ok having a stranger do that on the cruise?

Maybe he will, maybe not?

I saw that massage package offered and wondered what kid would like it. BUT everyone is different. People should stop reading "ick" into it. I think the idea is for father and son to do something together. It doesn't always have to be sports:rolleyes:

Ask onboard and see. As your son and husband first if they are interested. I can't get my husband to get a massage - much less my 13 yo. But again, everybody is different.