What beach would be best if wanted to be near restaurants and bars?

bahama_mama2015

Hi!!! I am so overwhelmed with all the options in St. Thomas! There are so many options! We don't want to plan too much, just go with the flow. We want to basically bar hop and be close to the beautiful water. We are going up to Paradise Point and plan to take a taxi to one of the beaches. Then hoping to stop somewhere for lunch and a fruity cocktail or two!

Thanks!

Do you want a beach or just water? Red Hook and several of its bars/restaurants are on the water, not a beach. Many offer a nice view of marina-- others are just fun to hang out. Island Time, Fish Tails, Senor Frogs, Caribbean Saloon, Duffy's, Tap and Still etc... Lots of drinking options.

However, if you want a beach and bars, that is different. Coki-- small but beautiful beach with little bars/food places. Margaritaville is also close by. Magen's-- very pretty with a bar. Secret Harbor-- nice beach with a bar. Sapphire--beautiful beach with a couple of places to get drinks and food plus a food truck at the top of hill. These are all on the East Side of the island--IMO these are the best beaches

Closer to port you have Bolongo Bay smaller beach which has a fun bar called Iggies. Emerald Beach has food/drinks. Morning Star / Marriott has food and drinks. I'm not as familiar with these--I've only been to them once.

With all of that said-- We like to go to Sapphire in the morning then go to Red Hook to bar hop for a little bit before heading back to the ship.

:D

For a nice beach AND a couple of beach bars and restaurants in the sand I'd suggest Lindbergh Bay (aka Emerald beach). You can walk from the Emerald Beach Resort to the Island Beachcomber Resort which has a little more local vibe.

For a gorgeous beach with a couple of drink and food options we'd head for beautiful Sapphire Beach on the East End. Red Hook is a short taxi away but that is more an evening fun spot for us.

We like Latitude 18 which is a funky, open-air bar/restaurant across the marina from Red Hook. It is on the water but no beach. Lat 18 is the only bar that reminds us of the BVI and other less developed areas of the Carib. But again, more an afternoon - evening spot.

Bolongo Bar has a resort and Iggie's is a bar near the water. The beach is not nice there but it's a fun bar when there are people there. Love the jerk wings!!! :eek:

If you wanted a beach with one beach bar and a nice restaurant with virtually no other cruisers that would be Cowpet Bay / Elysian Beach, also on the East End. Many boats moored in the bay there.

Where are you docked? If at Crown Bay Lindbergh is a short taxi back to the ship. If you are docked at Havensight you probably want to consider one of the East End beaches. Our plan would be to enjoy Sapphire or another beach first, and then taxi to PP to relax there after.

Whatever you choose enjoy your day!:)

Blue_water you would go the beach first and then PP after? We were going to do it the other way around.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes but that's because there are more people there later and we would enjoy cocktails there along with the view. Then take the tram down and walk to the ship (if you're docked at Havensight). That's just how we do it but you can go there first then hit the beach - it's all good!

Yes but that's because there are more people there later and we would enjoy cocktails there along with the view. Then take the tram down and walk to the ship (if you're docked at Havensight). That's just how we do it but you can go there first then hit the beach - it's all good!

Not sure where I am docked yet....too early out to tell? Cruise in April on the Carnival Splendor

Carnival almost always docks at Havensight. Lots of bars within walking distance. Dog House Pub. Smoking Rooster. Tap and Still. Mojo's. Fat Turtle. Senor Frog's.

That doesn't help with this request unfortunately...

def want to be on a beach. Put me on a bar stool where I can people watch and look at the beautiful water is my idea of vacation heaven!!!

But if you get back from the beach early you can hit one of these. Senor Frog's would be our last choice...

Edited by blue_water

Well, for the bar stool on the beach request (where there are are others) you have a couple options.

Lindbergh Bay, the Emerald Beach Resort and Islander Beachcomber both have a beach bar.

For a more lively vibe and a "smell that smell" kinda place head for Coki. There are several vendors there, and I believe there is at least one spot to sit at a small bar/deck, some else can add to that. Gorgeous beach and water, and that is definitely the beach spot for people watching

bahama mama: Okay, you asked for one, but I'll give you two ideas- Iggie's at Bolongo (fun bar, ring toss and other games on the beach, casual and old school Caribbean, closer to Havensight) and Island Beachcomber at Lindbergh Bay (nice bar right at the water's edge, closer to Crown Bay). Both will be fun people watching. Have fun!

Iggie's is a fun spot and a bit more Caribbean as you noted O2B, but I'd recommend that for someone staying later for happy hour and not wanting a nice beach. Same with the bars along the marina in Red Hook. Agree with Island Beachcomber for a locals vibe, or Coki for a livelier vibe! :p

• 3 months later...
Do you want a beach or just water? Red Hook and several of its bars/restaurants are on the water, not a beach. Many offer a nice view of marina-- others are just fun to hang out. Island Time, Fish Tails, Senor Frogs, Caribbean Saloon, Duffy's, Tap and Still etc... Lots of drinking options.

However, if you want a beach and bars, that is different. Coki-- small but beautiful beach with little bars/food places. Margaritaville is also close by. Magen's-- very pretty with a bar. Secret Harbor-- nice beach with a bar. Sapphire--beautiful beach with a couple of places to get drinks and food plus a food truck at the top of hill. These are all on the East Side of the island--IMO these are the best beaches

Closer to port you have Bolongo Bay smaller beach which has a fun bar called Iggies. Emerald Beach has food/drinks. Morning Star / Marriott has food and drinks. I'm not as familiar with these--I've only been to them once.

With all of that said-- We like to go to Sapphire in the morning then go to Red Hook to bar hop for a little bit before heading back to the ship.

:D

Let's says I went to sapphire first for a few hours then went up to PP would we have time to go to Red Hook and bar hop for awhile? Is Red Hook or PP closer to the ship?

Trying to plan things and do the thing closest to her ship last :)

Carnival almost always docks at Havensight. Lots of bars within walking distance. Dog House Pub. Smoking Rooster. Tap and Still. Mojo's. Fat Turtle. Senor Frog's.

The bars are walking distance to the dock? So do a little bar hopping after visiting the beach and PP to be closest to the ship?

The bars are walking distance to the dock? So do a little bar hopping after visiting the beach and PP to be closest to the ship? ]

Carnival will dock at Havensite. I would go to the beach first before it gets crowded.It's also furthest from the dock. When you are done at the beach, catch a cab to PP. You can get lunch and drinks there, and there are spectacular views. You can easily walk from PP to the docks. And you pass several bars along the way. One of my favorites is Rum Hut, directly across from PP. It has swings for bar seats. Different and fun. Enjoy! St. Thomas is a fun port.

Edited by idlewood4

Hi!!! I am so overwhelmed with all the options in St. Thomas! There are so many options! We don't want to plan too much, just go with the flow. We want to basically bar hop and be close to the beautiful water. We are going up to Paradise Point and plan to take a taxi to one of the beaches. Then hoping to stop somewhere for lunch and a fruity cocktail or two!

Thanks!

Would suggest going to a beach first then hitting PP after. Red Hook is near Sapphire but is more fun for happy hour and evenings.

I should follow up that 2pinacolada is correct and you could indeed stop in Red Hook after Sapphire and hit a few of the bars on the Marina. It's a fun evening pot, but you could hit a couple spots for lunch, and RH is a short taxi from Sapphire.

Duffy's Love Shack is in a parking lot across the street from the Marina and opens at 11:30 but is more fun in the evening. Tap & Still and Caribbean Saloon are both on the Marina and open at 11, I don't think Island Time Pub opens until 3. But you do have those options. There are also some shops right there.

We like hitting Iggie's in Bolongo Bay for happy hour, it is on the water and you can get lunch there (love the jerk wings!) but the beach is pebbly.

With limited time we'd spend most of our time st Sapphire and save a couple hours for PP but you do have the other options mentioned!:)