Experience on room selection for cruise

Sunseeker1001

We have never been offered a stateroom on the fantail of a ship. I can see advantages to it because it would offer a wider view of the ocean and ports but wonder if it is likely to be more breezy which would be bad in mid-March in the Mediterranean.

Second, any experience being on the Deck 3 of a ship with prop noise traveling upward. The dining room is just below us on Deck 1.

It would be helpful, perhaps, to know which ship.

More pitch in active seas could be noticed in a stateroom at the stern as compared with a mid-ship located stateroom. If there is a veranda, some soot deposits from the funnel could take place. (If so, your Cabin Steward would clean that area daily. And, it only takes a couple of minutes to use one of your towels to wipe any veranda furniture that you use.)

Not sure about the wind; could be windy or not, depending upon the wind's direction and speed, I would imagine.

I have had one such stateroom. I enjoyed it, but would not specifically book another one.

It would be helpful, perhaps, to know which ship.

More pitch in active seas could be noticed in a stateroom at the stern as compared with a mid-ship located stateroom. If there is a veranda, some soot deposits from the funnel could take place. (If so, your Cabin Steward would clean that area daily. And, it only takes a couple of minutes to use one of your towels to wipe any veranda furniture that you use.)

Not sure about the wind; could be windy or not, depending upon the wind's direction and speed, I would imagine.

I have had one such stateroom. I enjoyed it, but would not specifically book another one.

OOH....Viking Sun for a Med cruise so I think we will be rather close to land going from port to port instead of in the middle of the ocean. Thanks for your comments regarding the soot and the "roll" in rough seas. Neither of us have ever gotten seasick...even when the waves were really rough. We were on Deck 4 on a cruise and the waves were reaching up to our window.

Actually, LESS breezy...the wind sort of by-passes you. If it's hot, you will not have a breeze to cool you.....if it's cool, that might be a good thing!

Glad it will be less breezy and I certainly would enjoy the warmth. I'm a little worried about the temperature as we are in the shoulder season for the Med. from Venice to Athens. Also think that the suites on each side of us with the wrap around balconies will possibly break some of the impact. Thanks for your response.

You have constant prop wash noise, not prop noise. After about 7 minutes it gets to be routine.

OUCH. :eek: Was it annoying or just sort of in the background and like "white noise"? Was your experience on a newer ship or one that was a little older. The Viking Sun was launched June 2015 and hopefully has up-to-date sound deadening.

OUCH. :eek: Was it annoying or just sort of in the background and like "white noise"? Was your experience on a newer ship or one that was a little older. The Viking Sun was launched June 2015 and hopefully has up-to-date sound deadening.

I'm not aware of any ship (no matter how new) that has the ability to deaden the sound of the ocean. The sound of the water being churned up by the prop is a 'white noise'. We don't have a problem with it, but YMMV.

OOH....Viking Sun for a Med cruise so I think we will be rather close to land going from port to port instead of in the middle of the ocean. Thanks for your comments regarding the soot and the "roll" in rough seas. Neither of us have ever gotten seasick...even when the waves were really rough. We were on Deck 4 on a cruise and the waves were reaching up to our window.

Sunseeker1001,

I mentioned "pitch" as a potential issue. That is not the same thing as "roll". Pitch is an up-and-down motion of the ship. Some are more bothered by "pitch" than by "roll".

Thanks very much to both of you regarding the pitch vs. roll. Learn something new every day :)

Also about the prop noise. I think I'll deal with it if it is no worse than white noise. May drown out other noises from the side, above and below. ;)