Power strips with Surge Protector.

Lyn1Lyn

Just watched a video that said these are not usable on the ship, because they mess with the ships electronics.

Does anyone know if this is true?

I just bought some to bring for extra outlets and I bought surge protector strips because I want to protect my electronics.

Just watched a video that said these are not usable on the ship, because they mess with the ships electronics.

I just bought some to bring for extra outlets and I bought surge protector strips because I want to protect my electronics.

True. Those with surge protectors not allowed.

Surge protectors only protect against high voltage spikes like you get on shore from blown pole transformers or lightning strikes. Neither of these things will affect your electronics when onboard a ship. The power transformers onboard do not drop from 10,000 volts to 220 volts like the pole transformers do, and they are a different type that do not fail like the pole transformers. Due to the floating ground on ships, lightning, even when it actually hits a ship, will not enter the electrical system like it does on land. I have been on several ships hit by lightning, and not one piece of electronics has been damaged, except for ship's radios, as the antennas tend to attract the strikes, but each antenna is separate so only some radios get affected.

The ship has thousands of pieces of electronics onboard, many more critical than your cell phone, like the navigation equipment, or the engine room automation that keeps the lights on, or the fire detection equipment, and there is not one surge protector either required or installed on any of these critical systems, because they are not required.

If you search either my posts, or do a CC search for surge protectors or suppressors, you can find posts that I or others have made that describe the dangers of surge protectors on ships, and even the USCG Safety Notice regarding them.

I have taken to calling the use of surge protectors onboard ships as just as much of a silent killer as heart disease, because it can strike at any time, causing a fire in your cabin, and will normally strike without warning, on a surge protector that has operated fine on past cruises, and is operating fine right up until the instant it fails.

Can't bring them if they have surge protectors, sorry. The short version is they are a fire hazard. There's a thread here that explains why. You can bring plain splitters that give you extra outlets.

Sent from my SM-T357T using Forums mobile app

Thanks, just wanted to know if I needed to exchange it for a regular on.

Guess i'll be leaving my electronic stuff at home.

Thanks, just wanted to know if I needed to exchange it for a regular on.

Guess i'll be leaving my electronic stuff at home.

Again, no need to leave electronics at home, after 40 years at sea, and years on cruise ships, I have never seen electronics damaged by shipboard power systems without surge protection.

Again, no need to leave electronics at home, after 40 years at sea, and years on cruise ships, I have never seen electronics damaged by shipboard power systems without surge protection.

While I know you have worked on a cruise ship as well, are cruise ships the only ones with 110 power or do most ships have that?

While I know you have worked on a cruise ship as well, are cruise ships the only ones with 110 power or do most ships have that?

Most US flag ships have 110v power, but the rest of the world tends towards the 220v systems. On ships that are 220v, like most I've been on over the last 25 years, even US flag ones, we use transformers and power strips. (Yes, even on non-cruise ships, there are shortages of outlets).

A power strip is OK, but not one with surge protector.

• 11 months later...
Surge protectors only protect against high voltage spikes like you get on shore from blown pole transformers or lightning strikes. Neither of these things will affect your electronics when onboard a ship. The power transformers onboard do not drop from 10,000 volts to 220 volts like the pole transformers do, and they are a different type that do not fail like the pole transformers. Due to the floating ground on ships, lightning, even when it actually hits a ship, will not enter the electrical system like it does on land. I have been on several ships hit by lightning, and not one piece of electronics has been damaged, except for ship's radios, as the antennas tend to attract the strikes, but each antenna is separate so only some radios get affected.

The ship has thousands of pieces of electronics onboard, many more critical than your cell phone, like the navigation equipment, or the engine room automation that keeps the lights on, or the fire detection equipment, and there is not one surge protector either required or installed on any of these critical systems, because they are not required.

If you search either my posts, or do a CC search for surge protectors or suppressors, you can find posts that I or others have made that describe the dangers of surge protectors on ships, and even the USCG Safety Notice regarding them.

I have taken to calling the use of surge protectors onboard ships as just as much of a silent killer as heart disease, because it can strike at any time, causing a fire in your cabin, and will normally strike without warning, on a surge protector that has operated fine on past cruises, and is operating fine right up until the instant it fails.

Question, Since you seem to know a lot about this, I am going to pick your brain. Is there any one type of power strip that you recommend? Thanks

Question, Since you seem to know a lot about this, I am going to pick your brain. Is there any one type of power strip that you recommend? Thanks

I've found a power station tap with two outlets and two USB ports that does NOT have surge protection. You may want to get a short extension cord to ensure it will fit in the outlets because some ship outlets are a tight fit and may not allow for the orientation of the tap.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YU3BUTI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Monster has some nice products, but be careful and read the descriptions, because Monster also produces products with surge protection. Basically any inexpensive power strip from Home Depot, Dollar Store, or Target in the $3-5 range will not have surge protection.

Is it true that surge protectors mess with ships electronics......don't know.

Is it true that they are not allowed on board....True. Leave the surge protector at home or bring an extension cord that does not have surge protection.

Is it true that surge protectors mess with ships electronics......don't know.

Is it true that they are not allowed on board....True. Leave the surge protector at home or bring an extension cord that does not have surge protection.

"Is it true that surge protectors mess with ships electronics" - not true. Surge protectors have no effect on any other electronics. The problem is that with the "floating ground" used on the ship, the MOV semi-conductors in the surge protector can be subjected to reverse voltages, which they are not designed to handle. This reverse voltage can be caused by power equipment (motors or lights), not just electronics, failing to ground, somewhere far away on the ship, so that a surge protector in perfect condition can be instantly subjected to a damaging reverse voltage (but if your electronics don't have a ground fault this reverse voltage has no effect on your electronics) and fail in thermal runaway, even with a current less than the circuit breaker setting.

These three are outlet and usb chargers that specifically are NOT surge protectors, one has a worldwide adapter if you want that extra insurance:

4NsDKj94wxndvBQ_SMuIdR_JNHMkNnJdHxJvgzdjVJkksptsrP70lQhAxB_zSZREzH6jyC55Y4yPOqvgejVGO9u9ZR6shcL6gZhZ8QQPP19o5x8GWnk1RMfbOC7k1CfoXHq1M-ESQOtvyMhZJ3X1GYgxzI_Hm94NB8wa098JgFpW7KwjtYNDMzszISVzeZ6Ca_EupgOGdI8bXoiVIE0CSlhKLqwAYSUtqQ6Jz_47f45MXT7vT9dn1jzFRn8R1c_MYQEJ_E6Y6-iIpUZEx7qNSHFTqSAkYkxJSJzVqQm-hhMDUfqc7B_7sQN3_VeSl99wW_XOC3fNt2E1iFqVfpxf6JqCQ3dSxLtXNVNGwG32xla-Bv5pBOlEZ4Xw8TR1HTZX2Fo7tTHaWom5cfm6-qocGjcEIDFIILNLqaKg0uyBUS1okgO4VnUgLpry_8lmKNGPCgJpTRCohKNhsIyx0RycLB8-HTl6fltKP83oaqK81EaerSy6VBWj2eR4O7R6oyLNJ9FqP0zPxnERFYRM6CtYnwyZK6ADPkKLSOJUInGz2xMwpxdaBaCw5UXdueUw9XP0sc_n6ejfc3bvKOdKeLXhEg1ZoAYFpWPtXJSmfTUiG4YBVWkucwWr=w287-h242-no

NTONPOWER 3 Port USB Power Strip

pJ1fX_AboBHGtv4zgTAdftYJDnxBMBhTSUkCdMyS7Gyrsq5YZwA3iteNYEaJaazivxphUIqPscrFukj91jh6ceGzAoK_j09J7XSvvPH9O8SCvPjTzohlu-2BB4G0e4NZskbbkvuom5h95_E3KacILUyJ6wBnJfNPdAod46WxZfClhPKoLAhX93PE2bCZegeMedSkwXmuEGSDxSiraOo8cY02T1mRJnyHJD3qxVUNdvTGjLi3K5-67SG6tHJd9w-boNuGTH8R4pnFiTzct8YLX5QG7z2bakZ23Eepqq9UEe2sDKb__hBNSnYYIPrIwixJfxOH5A4Cw8r6f6MJZbbsOWzFUlgIwN11AyvKozC8PgCbAVPLOHHsWn1TplpWtg57eAqrNnU5vVMyKmwl7CB7VQ7D8WHJreAU0IS5CuHJThMqVK_8PFvz8_wzY_Etn_pF6bLiuBrJJ-N_CiYC0EVSmX_1EFmQIpZMenUZzgAAC0ggePLZvLwhgDIwjCaCT7hB7uJMROj9W7ST3pRd45Rq0yI5pyMz2a_ZafEEJD1mU1mI2CFOWBQDGu-QhJgWEUZtjkgnrSR-4NKyzIy8JFsUxLwTEvTfiGL7Fd0q25TEkc0ZR0WJInRA=w288-h251-no

MAKETECH Compact Aluminum 2-Outlet Travel Power Strip with 3 USB Charging Ports

spqr57SzfVVGH8DEpymFX1bq3is-gfpd9jA_tXVKUKRc3J4oHTcRJ24UHd3agpANhSIzBseUL6psyyZ10zX6-tPy1PY_F-o_Df8POnnVkgmi5tlhMyiKlVPWcscoUszkvnsiHOajiUcXmde5s-k6pE1iiDCxeu3LXlt9Euu5BlNtWjb8wcUaQEuXGhuJ_64aq07aNQzgUWS92W7r76X81QU_DsPl1c1ZJmcmjfi7iz8IQM1O2RPRbpGpnkIUZVqG6N4saKIbmlrmO9Wb2tHQfcUVXvnHSKdz27arxdkT4UmpKznNOfukvlKIFKBSuQ1847g2lkeyBtAClbbHQQuD0Q9i9zYM_naO0Jo8KmkpqEpQbz7Jxfde_dYMOa9b4HtsmdHVs4UpQKVIxd7GxruH8_zq5UtEAvaXX54RuAnyMS0P--SDCESE0DfgBGkf1IAxCw__2LzqNi-SxlVy3gubpVKkfnyghRXiSFHBK8DY2YHTCyQTHDWNKezrJXB7xFu4H6eq5BsqmMxf9XFh9C-zXrpZxW1XxR962nc5cpcOYKGFExML8jkOKUlN8g-6yUeWFwc9ucKj0HgMTj-udPwNOioti8FX8eFUshTsV6duXR2NbeyS8jhi=w286-h289-no

AMIR 3 In 1 Travel Power Charging Station, 6 Feet Cord Portable International Power Strip with USB and Worldwide Travel Adapter

Have a great cruise!

On two recent cruises out of Bayonne NJ (RC and Celebrity), they confiscated my non-surge protector power strip. I was told that they no longer want the responsibility to determine if each power strip people bring are legal or not, so they prohibit *all* power strips, surge protector or not. They tag them and give them back when you return.

The ones I have are cheapo 4 plug strips from a junk store called Five-Below. No surge protection and was able to use on many cruises in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

These three are outlet and usb chargers that specifically are NOT surge protectors, one has a worldwide adapter if you want that extra insurance:

4NsDKj94wxndvBQ_SMuIdR_JNHMkNnJdHxJvgzdjVJkksptsrP70lQhAxB_zSZREzH6jyC55Y4yPOqvgejVGO9u9ZR6shcL6gZhZ8QQPP19o5x8GWnk1RMfbOC7k1CfoXHq1M-ESQOtvyMhZJ3X1GYgxzI_Hm94NB8wa098JgFpW7KwjtYNDMzszISVzeZ6Ca_EupgOGdI8bXoiVIE0CSlhKLqwAYSUtqQ6Jz_47f45MXT7vT9dn1jzFRn8R1c_MYQEJ_E6Y6-iIpUZEx7qNSHFTqSAkYkxJSJzVqQm-hhMDUfqc7B_7sQN3_VeSl99wW_XOC3fNt2E1iFqVfpxf6JqCQ3dSxLtXNVNGwG32xla-Bv5pBOlEZ4Xw8TR1HTZX2Fo7tTHaWom5cfm6-qocGjcEIDFIILNLqaKg0uyBUS1okgO4VnUgLpry_8lmKNGPCgJpTRCohKNhsIyx0RycLB8-HTl6fltKP83oaqK81EaerSy6VBWj2eR4O7R6oyLNJ9FqP0zPxnERFYRM6CtYnwyZK6ADPkKLSOJUInGz2xMwpxdaBaCw5UXdueUw9XP0sc_n6ejfc3bvKOdKeLXhEg1ZoAYFpWPtXJSmfTUiG4YBVWkucwWr=w287-h242-no

NTONPOWER 3 Port USB Power Strip

pJ1fX_AboBHGtv4zgTAdftYJDnxBMBhTSUkCdMyS7Gyrsq5YZwA3iteNYEaJaazivxphUIqPscrFukj91jh6ceGzAoK_j09J7XSvvPH9O8SCvPjTzohlu-2BB4G0e4NZskbbkvuom5h95_E3KacILUyJ6wBnJfNPdAod46WxZfClhPKoLAhX93PE2bCZegeMedSkwXmuEGSDxSiraOo8cY02T1mRJnyHJD3qxVUNdvTGjLi3K5-67SG6tHJd9w-boNuGTH8R4pnFiTzct8YLX5QG7z2bakZ23Eepqq9UEe2sDKb__hBNSnYYIPrIwixJfxOH5A4Cw8r6f6MJZbbsOWzFUlgIwN11AyvKozC8PgCbAVPLOHHsWn1TplpWtg57eAqrNnU5vVMyKmwl7CB7VQ7D8WHJreAU0IS5CuHJThMqVK_8PFvz8_wzY_Etn_pF6bLiuBrJJ-N_CiYC0EVSmX_1EFmQIpZMenUZzgAAC0ggePLZvLwhgDIwjCaCT7hB7uJMROj9W7ST3pRd45Rq0yI5pyMz2a_ZafEEJD1mU1mI2CFOWBQDGu-QhJgWEUZtjkgnrSR-4NKyzIy8JFsUxLwTEvTfiGL7Fd0q25TEkc0ZR0WJInRA=w288-h251-no

MAKETECH Compact Aluminum 2-Outlet Travel Power Strip with 3 USB Charging Ports

spqr57SzfVVGH8DEpymFX1bq3is-gfpd9jA_tXVKUKRc3J4oHTcRJ24UHd3agpANhSIzBseUL6psyyZ10zX6-tPy1PY_F-o_Df8POnnVkgmi5tlhMyiKlVPWcscoUszkvnsiHOajiUcXmde5s-k6pE1iiDCxeu3LXlt9Euu5BlNtWjb8wcUaQEuXGhuJ_64aq07aNQzgUWS92W7r76X81QU_DsPl1c1ZJmcmjfi7iz8IQM1O2RPRbpGpnkIUZVqG6N4saKIbmlrmO9Wb2tHQfcUVXvnHSKdz27arxdkT4UmpKznNOfukvlKIFKBSuQ1847g2lkeyBtAClbbHQQuD0Q9i9zYM_naO0Jo8KmkpqEpQbz7Jxfde_dYMOa9b4HtsmdHVs4UpQKVIxd7GxruH8_zq5UtEAvaXX54RuAnyMS0P--SDCESE0DfgBGkf1IAxCw__2LzqNi-SxlVy3gubpVKkfnyghRXiSFHBK8DY2YHTCyQTHDWNKezrJXB7xFu4H6eq5BsqmMxf9XFh9C-zXrpZxW1XxR962nc5cpcOYKGFExML8jkOKUlN8g-6yUeWFwc9ucKj0HgMTj-udPwNOioti8FX8eFUshTsV6duXR2NbeyS8jhi=w286-h289-no

AMIR 3 In 1 Travel Power Charging Station, 6 Feet Cord Portable International Power Strip with USB and Worldwide Travel Adapter

Have a great cruise!

I personally am curious as if these are surge protectors or not. I dont see the pics so I can verify what I am looking at by just the name but some of these have tricky wording so I will ask the resident expert.

Chengkp75

Here is a typical warning on these (and probably others)

Dear Tina,

Thank you for showing interest in our product, which does approve the CE & FCC & ROHS certification, but UL is not Listed.

It doesn't have the Joule energy rating as it is a power strip, not a standard surge protector.

But please rest assured that it is designed with your safety in mind to provide over-current, over-heating, over-voltage and short-circuit protection

Feel free to contact us at support@make-gadget.com if you have further queries.

Please stay confident that we will take good care of you.

Thank you and have a nice day!

Yours Sincerely,

Coco Chan

Senior Customer Support

Make Technology Limited see less

By MAKE TECHNOLOGY SELLER on October 26, 2016

No Joule-rating surge protection is good, this means it can be used on a cruise ship (or other ship) without danger of starting fire (which may be anywhere "upstream" of the device). Thank you for asking the question! This is just the item I need!

Are these ok for cruises or not?

I personally am curious as if these are surge protectors or not. I dont see the pics so I can verify what I am looking at by just the name but some of these have tricky wording so I will ask the resident expert.

Chengkp75

Here is a typical warning on these (and probably others)

Dear Tina,

Thank you for showing interest in our product, which does approve the CE & FCC & ROHS certification, but UL is not Listed.

It doesn't have the Joule energy rating as it is a power strip, not a standard surge protector.

But please rest assured that it is designed with your safety in mind to provide over-current, over-heating, over-voltage and short-circuit protection

Feel free to contact us at support@make-gadget.com if you have further queries.

Please stay confident that we will take good care of you.

Thank you and have a nice day!

Yours Sincerely,

Coco Chan

Senior Customer Support

Make Technology Limited see less

By MAKE TECHNOLOGY SELLER on October 26, 2016

No Joule-rating surge protection is good, this means it can be used on a cruise ship (or other ship) without danger of starting fire (which may be anywhere "upstream" of the device). Thank you for asking the question! This is just the item I need!

Are these ok for cruises or not?

As the above correspondence appears to be from MakeTech, then I can say that given their response (since they specifically address the "joule" rating) and from their website they do produce some devices that are listed as surge protected, I would say the MakeTech product is fine.

The Amir product even states on the Amazon website (the third party sites are terrible for including specifications) that it has a 1700 joule rating, so it is surge protected.

As for the NTONPOWER product, it is very confusing on their website, as to whether or not they have nonn-surge protected devices, and whether or not this one is not. I would direct this question directly to the manufacturer.