Princess@sea Has any one used it?

barurbo

If you don't go to Airplane Mode, every time your phone searches for a signal and connects to Cellular at Sea, you'll be charged...by the ship AND your cell carrier. That could get very expensive.

There have been posts on CC by people who didn't realize they had to change their cell phone settings and got hit with a whopping bill when they got home.

Wrong. You do not have to put your phone into airplane mode and as a previous poster said, doing so makes it impossible to receive texts or calls. All you have to do is go to Settings, find data usage (or similar), then find mobile data and take the disable option. That will stop your phone searching for data and updating apps etc which is what leads to the large bills. If your phone is just on and connected to any network, including Cellular at Sea, it costs nothing unless you take a call or make one or send a text.

Sure, if you make or receive a call it costs, and for me Cellular at Sea is $6.00 per minute, however if you just want to be available to receive an occasional call or texts then the costs are nil if you don't use it. If I get a call and I don't recognise the number then I just don't answer. I use texts a bit to keep a check on things at home and these might cost 60 cents but at least people can get me if they need to.

I think most people do the airplane mode thing as it is easier that switching off mobile data but it isn't that difficult. It's easy: Settings>data>mobile data (and take the switch off or disable option. Your phone might vary in the wording after the Settings option but most are similar.

Edited by leck57

"If you don't go to Airplane Mode, every time your phone searches for a signal and connects to Cellular at Sea, you'll be charged...by the ship AND your cell carrier. "

On Royal Princess in 2014, we kept our cell phones on 24/7 and we only were charged for any texts and phone calls made/received. We weren't in Airplane Mode. It didn't incur any charges every time a signal was received. Maybe the process has changed since then. Hope not.

No it hasn't changed and if you are in Airplane mode you do not receive calls or texts.

Wrong. You do not have to put your phone into airplane mode and as a previous poster said, doing so makes it impossible to receive texts or calls. All you have to do is go to Settings, find data usage (or similar), then find mobile data and take the disable option. That will stop your phone searching for data and updating apps etc which is what leads to the large bills. If your phone is just on and connected to any network, including Cellular at Sea, it costs nothing unless you take a call or make one or send a text.

Sure, if you make or receive a call it costs, and for me Cellular at Sea is $6.00 per minute, however if you just want to be available to receive an occasional call or texts then the costs are nil if you don't use it. If I get a call and I don't recognise the number then I just don't answer. I use texts a bit to keep a check on things at home and these might cost 60 cents but at least people can get me if they need to.

I think most people do the airplane mode thing as it is easier that switching off mobile data but it isn't that difficult. It's easy: Settings>data>mobile data (and take the switch off or disable option. Your phone might vary in the wording after the Settings option but most are similar.

Thanks! That's exactly what we did last time and it worked out.

I am confused on how the messenger part works. I am traveling with a large group, do we all need to share phone numbers with each other before we sail? Does it work just like texting on my iphone? Recently used a similar app on MSC but didn't have messaging ability. I love the idea of being able to communicate with everyone.

I am confused on how the messenger part works. I am traveling with a large group, do we all need to share phone numbers with each other before we sail? Does it work just like texting on my iphone? Recently used a similar app on MSC but didn't have messaging ability. I love the idea of being able to communicate with everyone.

You cannot set this up before you get on the ship, and you don't need each others phone numbers. Once on the ship, everyone connects to the ship's wifi network, opens a browser, and navigates to the website shipname.princess.com, which can only be reached while connected to the ship's wifi. From there, you just follow the directions to create an account.

After someone you want to message has also created an account, you use the website to send them a message. The other person does not get any notification on their phone. They have to open the website and login to their account (if their browser doesn't auto-login) to see that there's a message waiting.

Princess@Sea messaging is via a webpage that anyone can post to, but only you can look at.

There is no "You've got mail!" functionality, but I *think* you can post a single message to all the

folks in your group with one button push.

Thanks for your replies. I understand most of it, just not sure how, once we are on the Princess web page, we “find” the person we want to msg? By room #, name, etc. We are sharing room #’s before we sail. Some in our group may need help setting things up!

Thanks again 😊!

Thanks for your replies. I understand most of it, just not sure how, once we are on the Princess web page, we “find” the person we want to msg? By room #, name, etc. We are sharing room #’s before we sail. Some in our group may need help setting things up!

Thanks again !

As I recall on the back of your cruise card is a code number you share with another passenger you want to exchange messages.

If you haven’t viewed their webpage with information:

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/onboard-experience/activities/princess-at-sea/

As I recall on the back of your cruise card is a code number you share with another passenger you want to exchange messages.

You need the code on the back of your cruise card to set up YOUR P@S account.

To message with another cruiser, you need to share a code from within P@S:

38601643142_9526ebf771_b.jpg

It's a great idea except that without a notification of any type (either a beep or vibration) it's almost next to useless. My wife never took the time to check for messages & I just gave up on using it.

It's a great idea except that without a notification of any type (either a beep or vibration) it's almost next to useless. My wife never took the time to check for messages & I just gave up on using it.

There are a lot of posters here who have a <insert favorite word here>-you attitude, as a notification might disturb them.

I wrote an app to alert me every time I left wifi coverage on Royal.

(which was really, really frequently -- although is better now)

I could almost never hear it over the ambient noise. The only real way to use notifications is with vibrate.

If I knew I was cruising with those other fine folks, I would set my ring-tone, alarm, and notification to

"Who let the dogs out?"

WHO!!! WHO!!! WHO!!!

Thanks & was relying on an over two year old recollection since last setting up messaging with friends. Another question...is a cabinmate’s information (code) automatically available to add through P@S?

Edited by Astro Flyer

There are a lot of posters here who have a <insert favorite word here>-you attitude, as a notification might disturb them.

I wrote an app to alert me every time I left wifi coverage on Royal.

(which was really, really frequently -- although is better now)

I could almost never hear it over the ambient noise. The only real way to use notifications is with vibrate.

If I knew I was cruising with those other fine folks, I would set my ring-tone, alarm, and notification to

"Who let the dogs out?"

WHO!!! WHO!!! WHO!!!

I guess they don't want to be disturbed over the 100 + db level of the music or MUTS. :D

I guess they don't want to be disturbed over the 100 + db level of the music or MUTS. :D

The LOUD entertainment is because Princess realizes that a good chunk of their

demographic are half-deaf. ...and wants the rest to join them.

::runs and hides::

Thanks & was relying on an over two year old recollection since last setting up messaging with friends. Another question...is a cabinmate’s information (code) automatically available to add through P@S?

They were automatically messenger 'friends' ... regardless of real life. :)

Thanks everyone for your help. I think we'll be able to figure it out now! I don't have a problem checking my phone often. Better than disturbing others. I hate hearing someone's phone vibrating in the movies or in church.

Thanks everyone for your help. I think we'll be able to figure it out now! I don't have a problem checking my phone often. Better than disturbing others. I hate hearing someone's phone vibrating in the movies or in church.

The only thing it that in "normal" locations the music or movies playing in the background isn't blasted at 101 db. You could never hear a vibration or a slight beep from someones phone on Princess with all the ambient noise.

The only thing it that in "normal" locations the music or movies playing in the background isn't blasted at 101 db. You could never hear a vibration or a slight beep from someones phone on Princess with all the ambient noise.

That doesn't stop the acute-hearing hyper-sensitive from complaining about a possible future infraction.

Regardless, I think the running score is about 50:1 --

people complaining about the lack of notification vs. the hyper-sensitive

Regardless, one of the claimed features of medallion is to be able to enable a zillion notifications,

presumably corresponding to any money-spending opportunity.

From an interview with Jan Swartz:

"Guests will be able to opt in to getting alerts via the medallions about more than 100 activities on the ship, everything from pilates to poker classes and shopping events."

You can enjoy the full article here:

http://www.adweek.com/digital/princess-cruises-is-using-sensor-based-technology-to-personalize-your-experience-onboard/

I think the hyper-sensitive will have to look for a new cruise line.

And, I'm off to find a who let the dogs out clip as a notification!

Who? Who? Who?!!!

Edited by pablo222

That doesn't stop the acute-hearing hyper-sensitive from complaining about a possible future infraction.

Regardless, I think the running score is about 50:1 --

people complaining about the lack of notification vs. the hyper-sensitive

Regardless, one of the claimed features of medallion is to be able to enable a zillion notifications,

presumably corresponding to any money-spending opportunity.

From an interview with Jan Swartz:

"Guests will be able to opt in to getting alerts via the medallions about more than 100 activities on the ship, everything from pilates to poker classes and shopping events."

You can enjoy the full article here:

http://www.adweek.com/digital/princess-cruises-is-using-sensor-based-technology-to-personalize-your-experience-onboard/

I think the hyper-sensitive will have to look for a new cruise line.

And, I'm off to find a who let the dogs out clip as a notification!

Who? Who? Who?!!!

Keyword: "opt-in"

Much like the CD's ramblings only play over the alleyway speakers, but

Bridge's 1MC plays via your stateroom speakers, too.

Keyword: "opt-in"

I have the choice to opt-in.

The hyper-offended have no choice as to whether I (or everyone else) on the ship

chooses notifications, or not.

It certainly sounds like the majority of correspondents here would choose notifications on

the princess @ sea messenger.

Further, no one, probably including princess, knows how medallion notifications will work.

Maybe shopping announcements default to on, and you can choose to turn them off.

Maybe you can't turn them off at all. You can't opt out of paper sales spam in your mailbox, today.

These are the same folks who were surprised when they found out a ship is made of steel,

I doubt they have thought through details at this level of detail.

The one thing that may save the hyper-sensitive from heading to other more aural-friendly cruise

lines is that even if princess says there will be notifications with medallions ... they probably

won't be able to get them to work.