Princess@sea Has any one used it?

barurbo

Just to be clear, there is (was?) a Princess @Sea app that was only supported on the new ships, Royal and Regal Princess. I haven't used the app, having sailed on other ships.

However, Princess has introduced another "intranet" function that plays in your web browser. It allows one to see which events are scheduled (like an electronic Princess Patter), and when one logs in, one can see their cabin's charge portfolio. This function does not use your internet minutes, but is immediately available on web browsers. It is kind of neat to use, and appears to be available on most, if not all, ships.

Princess@Sea is a free intranet system that includes a Messenger function and no app is necessary.

This Princess webpage describes the functions of this system:

http://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/onboard-experience/activities/princess-at-sea/

Edited by Astro Flyer

Just to be clear, there is (was?) a Princess @Sea app that was only supported on the new ships, Royal and Regal Princess. I haven't used the app, having sailed on other ships...................

When we were on the Regal about a year and a half ago I asked the Internet manager about the actual app because I hadn't found it anywhere in spite of the fact Princess had been touting it. The manager said they had removed the app because it was so buggy. He said that the shipboard intranet function was taking its place. That worked fine then and it has on the other ships we have been on since.

Just to be clear, there is (was?) a Princess @Sea app that was only supported on the new ships, Royal and Regal Princess. I haven't used the app, having sailed on other ships.

However, Princess has introduced another "intranet" function that plays in your web browser. It allows one to see which events are scheduled (like an electronic Princess Patter), and when one logs in, one can see their cabin's charge portfolio. This function does not use your internet minutes, but is immediately available on web browsers. It is kind of neat to use, and appears to be available on most, if not all, ships.

What app was specific to Royal class ships? Having sailed Regal, there wasn't any specific app for that ship.

There was Princess @ Sea, same as every orher ships we've sailed since it was introduced...

And it's no longer an app that needs to be downloaded, and hasn't been for a long while. It can be accessed via tour browser on smart phone, tablet, etc simply by opening browsers using ships intranet... shipsname.princess.com and voila, it comes up. You can access you folia, contact others inboard, see daily Patter, etc. Quite handy for those who carry their device with them...

When we were on the Regal about a year and a half ago I asked the Internet manager about the actual app because I hadn't found it anywhere in spite of the fact Princess had been touting it. The manager said they had removed the app because it was so buggy. He said that the shipboard intranet function was taking its place. That worked fine then and it has on the other ships we have been on since.

I've had the same experience on Royal-class & other ships.

I had one mobile device that still had the downloaded app & clicking on my home screen shortcut it took me to Messenger on my web browser; on my other mobile device without the app I accessed Messenger directly from my web browser by creating a home screen shortcut.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Princess@Sea is a free intranet system that includes a Messenger function and no app is necessary.

This Princess webpage describes the functions of this system:

http://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/onboard-experience/activities/princess-at-sea/

The messenger function is pretty much useless as it does not notify when you have a message waiting.

I've used it on the Crown, Emerald, Royal, and Regal. It's great! It doesn't replace the Patter because not every activity is listed, but it's a nice supplement. I couldn't find my hubby for the IM function, but he was able to find me. It stupidly doesn't alert you when you get a message, though, so it's kind of useless. It has made the Internet a lot easier to log in and out of; you launch it from Princess@Sea. I also really like seeing all onboard spending on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The messenger function is pretty much useless as it does not notify when you have a message waiting.

It worked okay when my wife & I wanted to find each other & it was better than having to use post-it notes or phone messages to locate each other.

A lack of any alert has been frequently debated & the discussion always gets heated...there are pros & cons to both opinions. The bottom line is alerts are not part of Messenger but it's still better than previously.

My memory may be failing me, but when we used it in December, I seem to recall that the principal difference between using the app and simply accessing the service via the intranet was that:

if you use the app, you get notified of incoming messages from friends etc. (this notification can be silent / vibrate or not so there is no issue about noise)

BUT

if you used the intranet service, then you didn't get to know if someone had sent you a message until you checked.

As I say, may be wrong in my recall of what actually happened, and things may have changed since December, but what I do remember with some degree of certainty is that the above difference was the reason I chose to download the app.

As you say, without any beep or buzz it's a waste of time to carry around an expensive phone to read a patter. ;)

I though any alert needs to be silent, can't think of anything worse than 50 contraptions going off all at once.

I can. The sound of my walkie talkie going beep-beep constantly. What did you say.....repeate it please. I can't hear you. :p

If they would at least have the phone vibrate for messaging very few people would be disturbed by it.

My memory may be failing me, but when we used it in December, I seem to recall that the principal difference between using the app and simply accessing the service via the intranet was that:

if you use the app, you get notified of incoming messages from friends etc. (this notification can be silent / vibrate or not so there is no issue about noise)

BUT

if you used the intranet service, then you didn't get to know if someone had sent you a message until you checked.

As I say, may be wrong in my recall of what actually happened, and things may have changed since December, but what I do remember with some degree of certainty is that the above difference was the reason I chose to download the app.

I have the app on one mobile device & it has never had any type of a notification. Checking the Apple Store, I have the most current version dated 8/4/15 and when clicking on the Home Screen's shortcut the app created it merely opens my Safari web browser to access Messenger.

On my other mobile device without the app, I access Messenger through my web browser.

Since the current app is 14 months old it hasn't recently been updated to add any notification & by trying it with or without the app on different Apple mobile devices that indicates to me that notifications have not been added since the current app is from 8/4/15.

Since the app is browser-based now, the Messenger function cannot "notify" your phone that a message has come in. They'd have to resurrect the app store-based app to do that.

Searching the Apple Store it once again shows the Princess Cruises Messenger app (version 1.0.7) but it hasn't been updated since 8/4/15.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Since the app is browser-based now, the Messenger function cannot "notify" your phone that a message has come in. They'd have to resurrect the app store-based app to do that.

Browsers, include mobile browsers can perform notifications.

You can read about the firefox version here:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/Push_Notifications

If you'd like to see it in action on Android,

install Firefox Beta on you mobile device, and visit this

url:

https://jsfiddle.net/yoshi6jp/Umc9A/

The messenger app was timed to release with the first sailing of Royal.

The functionality eventually made its way to the rest of the ship.

Princess now says available on all ships.

So there wasn't a specific Royal)Regal app then? It was the Princess $ Sea which was rolled out to the other ships within months? Thanks.