Upgrading cabin after final payment

spoilmygurl

I've read the threads about price drops after booking but I'm a little unclear. Back in June, I booked on the Sky and paid for an Inside (IC) cabin. The rate was $349pp. Now the balcony guarantee (BX) is $349. I called Norwegian to see about switching but they said it isn't an upgrade because I'm not paying more. Did I get a rep who wasn't as knowledgeable? On other threads, I saw people posting the upgraded cabin has to be equal or more than the existing one. Is that not the case? I reached out to Norwegian privately through social media but haven't heard back. I mean I will gladly give up my pre-assigned cabin for a balcony ANYWHWERE on the ship. If they see the price at $359 or $379 I'd be willing to pay that too. But the next category above the guarantee is $419 and I just can't justify that cost. Please no "well, $140 isn't that much". I know that. I'm asking about keeping the same rate or paying a modest amount to change it. An inside guarantee is only $189 compared to the $349 I spent but I don't expect NCL to let me downgrade and give me a bunch of money back. But one would think since there is no rate change, I could switch.

I had the same issue in June on the Getaway. Price of large balcony on 9 dropped to same as family balcony. Was $300 more pp when I booked and I had two rooms. I wanted those large balconies! I called three times - no on the first two (and really offended. "There is a difference between comprehension and understanding. I'm not a derelict. I comphend, but simply don't understand your rediculous policy". My plight. But on call 3, the agent was so helpful. I just needed to spend $1 more. I added to my speciality dining pkg on one of the two rooms and he could upgrade both, hang in there and be persistent!! Good luck.

The upgrade has to cost MORE than you just paid. You lose whatever perks you had with the original booking and get the current perks for your new cabin.

I bought an inside guarantee when they got one perk and I chose free internet. After final payment, the balcony guarantee was less than I had paid, but the current promotion excluded both IX (inside guarantee) and BX (balcony guarantee). I went up to an obstructed oceanview cabin. I paid an additional $101, but oceanview comes with TWO perks now so I kept the free internet and added prepaid service charges which would have been $148.50 for that cruise. So I "saved" $48 and moved up to a better cabin.

An "upsell" is when you get a cabin at a price less than currently selling for. With an upsell, you keep the perks you had so far, but don't get the ones for the cabin you move to. If I had been a week before selling and had been offered the oceanview for $25, I would not have had the two perks, but would have kept my one perk from the inside guarantee purchase.

I had a trip on the getaway last month. My balance was paid in full since the beginning of the year on a balcony room. Prices eventually dropped down on a mini suite for what I paid for a balcony. It took a lot of frustration and calls with several reps, but got the mini suite with our pre-paid gratuities, UDP, and the UBP added on. I had to pay a little over $200 for the both of us, which really covered the tips on the UBP.

If you have the patience, it is worth it.

Good news everyone! After L1211's post about adding the dining plan to make the cost MORE than what we initially paid, I called back prepared to do just that. Well, my plan was to add something. Realistically I was hoping to get away with adding a Bon Voyage package, water bottles, etc. However the rep was totally confused by why I even suggested such a thing and said it was a quick switch. She said you can't pay LESS, but if the price was the same OR more and the cabin category itself was an upgrade, it was no problem! I was thrilled! I don't mind a long walk if we end up getting a far cabin. A couple years ago on Royal's Brilliance of the Seas my husband and I had the very last aft jr suite on our deck. There was no aft elevator. I might have the actual recording I made of myself walking to the elevator. It took a full minute! I'm not kidding. It was like 70 seconds from door to door. So no matter where they stick us on the Sky, at the end of the day, we got a balcony! Yay! Thanks for all your advice and well wishes!

Last Sunday I noticed that the price for a spa balcony in November was the same as spa mini suite. It was 10pm at night and I emailed my travel agent to ask if I would be able to just call NCL directly the next day or did she have to call them.

In 10 minutes she got back to me within email and two more NCL emails confirming it was done! The price was the same and all perks stayed the same.

I was happy and surprised how easily it was done.

Glad it worked out. Keep in mind that the official policy is that once you are passed final payment, your booking is your booking and any major change to what cabin you are in is a cancel-rebook which has a penalty. They appear to waive this policy pretty liberally when you are upgrading to a more expensive cabin, but certainly aren't under any obligation too. So, it might just be a matter of calling back until you get someone willing to do it.