Morning or evening service??

Hadiez

I'll be on next week and plan to have a great time no matter what attitude my room steward has. A grumpy or a perky room steward won't change my cruise any. Honestly I rarely see our stewards just a quick hi here or there and that's perfect for me, probably them too.

I'll be on next week and plan to have a great time no matter what attitude my room steward has. A grumpy or a perky room steward won't change my cruise any. Honestly I rarely see our stewards just a quick hi here or there and that's perfect for me, probably them too.

Excellent, enjoy your cruise and let us know your thoughts when you return

Sent from my iPad using Forums

[

I said it was a guess only and it makes as much or more sense than good stewards are suddenly going rogue and risking their jobs by going against policy and telling guests they will only clean rooms once a day and being rude towards guests.:D

I regret my poor choice of words introducing the term "rogue" to this. I do think it is more likely a training issue, or possibly a language issue. It seems more reasonable that certain stewards do not completely grasp the concept. The only other possibility is the housekeeping managers are telling the stewards to present it this way. I agree that a steward is not likely to knowingly make this decision on their own.

Lol, maybe it's just cc at its best. While this is still a "trial", I can safely say that Carnival values it people as its best assets. Change fosters uncertainty, both in their employees and it appears in their clients. Maybe we all should just take a breath.

How dare you try to bring reasonableness and a call for calm to these threads. There are rules for these discussions sir.

On the Sunshine, we never even met our steward in 7 days. The room was well maintained and we had no complaints, but I couldn't tell you exactly who our steward was. He or she was like a Ninja Steward.

[

I regret my poor choice of words introducing the term "rogue" to this. I do think it is more likely a training issue, or possibly a language issue. It seems more reasonable that certain stewards do not completely grasp the concept. The only other possibility is the housekeeping managers are telling the stewards to present it this way. I agree that a steward is not likely to knowingly make this decision on their own.

How dare you try to bring reasonableness and a call for calm to these threads. There are rules for these discussions sir.

On the Sunshine, we never even met our steward in 7 days. The room was well maintained and we had no complaints, but I couldn't tell you exactly who our steward was. He or she was like a Ninja Steward.

Oops sorry....

By insisting on both morning and evening service, only the overworked stewards suffer and NOT Carnival. Then to not give as much in gratituties to these poorly paid workers at the end of the cruise is the final insult to them. How much more can they do. Carnival do not give two hoots about them - they just give them more cabins and let them bear the brunt of complaining and dissatisified passengers.

Cost cutting is ripe everywhere and more and more additional charges are appearing on a daily basis.

Cruise on a Carnival Ship in Australian waters and you would all be complaining on the cutbacks. No Cheers packages, No FTTF, Room Service at an extra cost - and so the list goes on.

By insisting on both morning and evening service, only the overworked stewards suffer and NOT Carnival. Then to not give as much in gratituties to these poorly paid workers at the end of the cruise is the final insult to them. How much more can they do. Carnival do not give two hoots about them - they just give them more cabins and let them bear the brunt of complaining and dissatisified passengers.

Cost cutting is ripe everywhere and more and more additional charges are appearing on a daily basis.

Cruise on a Carnival Ship in Australian waters and you would all be complaining on the cutbacks. No Cheers packages, No FTTF, Room Service at an extra cost - and so the list goes on.

Everywhere I have ever worked, the company has downsized the work force and increased the workload on the remaining workers with no increase in pay.

You have 2 choices. Suck it up or move on. Unfortunately that's the reality of it.

Bill

The Spirit is getting the best of the best of the crew from the California ships. Many of the crew we've sailed with for the past few years are transferring there.

Ninja stewards are the best kind IMO.

Exactly.....a 'good morning' in the hallway is about the most contact I want. I don't go on cruises to chat with the steward.

Just make it so the room is magically tidy with a full ice bucket and I will never complain.

I guess I don't understand how the overworked stewards are getting less money. It's probably either one or the other or neither. Either they are servicing more cabins twice a day (overworked) or servicing cabins once and day and people are removing gratuities (maybe underpaid). But if the new system becomes a cabin steward number of cabins are increased to less than double the original number and once a day service. To me it sounds like less work more pay.

I feel like you are trying to make people feel bad for wanting twice a day service.

I guess I don't understand how the overworked stewards are getting less money. It's probably either one or the other or neither. Either they are servicing more cabins twice a day (overworked) or servicing cabins once and day and people are removing gratuities (maybe underpaid). But if the new system becomes a cabin steward number of cabins are increased to less than double the original number and once a day service. To me it sounds like less work more pay.

I feel like you are trying to make people feel bad for wanting twice a day service.

Actually , the way I believe it is, is that none of that is true. They have more rooms but have an assistant. You can choose what service you want morning, evening or both. Everybody wins....

Actually , the way I believe it is, is that none of that is true. They have more rooms but have an assistant. You can choose what service you want morning, evening or both. Everybody wins....

I hope you are correct and I don't get a 'rogue' cabin steward. :)

Room stewards have always had assistants. Sometimes 2 assistants. That's not something new. They now have longer hours, more rooms. Its a never ending battle for them. They are also the voice of Carnival in this trial. They shouldn't be put in that position. There should be a different way of choosing your choices instead of a card or cards in a hallway outside of your cabin. This is a very poor way to run a trial.:)

I am personally fine with once a day service, but I understand people who feel they have always had two and want two. I would not cut my gratuity, because I personally feel the amount is a fair amount even for once a day service, but again I understand people who feel they should reduce their gratuity.

My question is, "Will you quit cruising Carnival because of this?"

Possibly yes. I don't have endless vacation money. Taking my kids on a cruise when school is not in session is never cheap. Every time I have booked a family cruise, I was choosing that over other vacation options. I weighed out the benefits of each type of vacation. Being well-cared for by pleasant staff was high on my list of reasons to book a cruise. I hate confrontation, so running into a steward who is unpleasant or tries to pressure me into less service is going to affect my entire vacation experience.

I'm also concerned that this is a change in philosophy that will extend beyond room stewards to other staff onboard. On our first family cruise, the assistant waiter made origami ships for my kids. Many waiters have cut the kids' meat, so I can start eating. Waiters rushing from table to table aren't going to add those little touches that make cruising special for families.

We were on the Splendor a couple of weeks ago. steward had the card and asked what we wanted and I told him both. He marked the card and went about his business.

It was different, the towel animals were on the bed after the morning cleaning instead of the evening. Also much of the papers they used to leave on the bed in the evenings was now placed in the mail box outside the door.

Had a good cruise but I think our time on Carnival is coming to an end. Looking for the next thing, Two cruises booked for next year (so far) and none on Carnival.