Are drink packages worth it?

Sun Lover

I was looking at purchasing the deluxe drink package at 20% off, which is $46/person. Can someone who has been on Allure recently give me an idea of what a typical alcoholic drink costs? For example, a frozen type drink, a beer, etc? I'm just trying to figure out if we would drink enough each day to make it worthwhile, especially considering we'll be in ports 3 days and won't be on the ship for several hours those days. Thanks.

Figure beer at $6-7, wine $9-12, and alcohol $10-12. About 5 alcohol/wine or 6-7 beers per day to break even. Depends how much you drink while on vacation. Also don't forget bottled water and sofa is included - $2.50 or so per bottle/can adds up quick too.

Edited by MikeBTN

Thanks for the info. Are there any restrictions on where you can purchase drinks or times of day?

Nothing that would really impact buying a package.

As stated, it depends on how much you drink per day. We are on the Allure in 12 days and don't plan to get off the ship at any ports. We are on deck from about 9:30 - 3:00 so can easily get our $$$ worth just during those hours. Then a couple of glasses of wine with dinner, cocktail or two with a show, and a nightcap before bed; we are well past breaking even.

Overall if you think you will drink five drinks a day you will at least break even.

The drink prices quoted are accurate, but there is also an 18% tip added to those prices.

When considering a package I never consider the 18% as you pay it either way. In fact having a package is really a better deal if you figure you are paying 18% on a fixed amount ($44 per day) vs pay as you go (priceless).

Edited by jamesr3939

It is very subjective if it is worth it or not, but like the others, if you drink 5 drinks per day, you are breaking even. We always get the package as with soda/water included we more than break even each day, even port days, with the drinks we buy each day.

I determine our cost if my husband buy his average number of Beers/day vs the package and have found we come out better buying the package. I would say if either of you consume say less then 5 beers per day, then better to buy individually. I figure the total cost over the total cruise days. I don't buy the soda package because I would have to consume 6 or 7 /day and lucky during a cruise if I have 2. I drink mainly ice Tea

Its absolutely worth it to me. My wife does not not drink and fortunately RC lets you purchase an individual package for myself, some other lines require everyone in the cabin over 21 to buy in as well even if they don't drink.

I certainly don't go on a cruise to get sloshed but as mentioned before if you have 5-6 drinks/beers over a day period you're saving money by purchasing the package and I can certainly go through that and sometimes more and the waters and sodas are included as well.

As mentioned before in Labadee or Coco Cay your drink package works there as well so thats well worth it.

Edited by kcamp317

We always more than break even with the package and we're strictly beer drinkers with perhaps a glass of wine at dinner. Only thing we don't like is you can't use it for room service or the mini bar. When the pool decks are crowded, we love just hanging out on our cabin balcony, but having to schlep to the nearest bar for each round is a drag.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

IMO, one of the biggest advantages of the drink package is one less potential bill to worry about at the end of the cruise.

My wife will frequently order a frozen drink poolside, drink half and sun herself or read, letting the drink melt and get warm. It would drive me crazy :(. With the package, there's less stress. :D

Add the specialty coffee and it's a no-brainer for us.

You can always get a drink on disembarkation day, but you will find that your credit card will be billed. The package ends the last night of your cruise. I find that between the fresh squeezed oj, 2 specialty coffees and about 4 bottle of water, you only need a couple glasses of wine with dinner to break even, therefore your Miami vice or two at the pool are 'free'!

Where did you see the drink package at 20% off? Thanks.

I don't know if the sale is still going, but for several weeks now the deluxe package price listed in the cruise planner has been the 20% reduced price. If you look on a computer there's a banner on the page advertising the sale, and on my page, there is red wording underneath the price that tells you it reflects the discounted price. If you look on your mobile device you may not see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So, on disembarkation day on Indy... can you get an alcoholic drink, say bloody mary or mimosa? Would a latte be available as usual? Haven't done a package, looking for every chance....

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Forums mobile app

In my experience on disembarkation day coffee and OJ = yes, alcoholic drinks = no