Staggered Check In - HELP

amberjeannette

Can't do NYE for sure and July is always so expensive. But I'll keep it in the back of my mind.

Also have the Vista exotic southern in April and have a free cruise on Azamara I need to squeeze in.

Sent from my iPhone

I thought according to the OP it's only 6pm because they start boarding around 3pm (Edit: actually they start check-in then, so boarding is likely no earlier than 3:30-4:00 even for priority). It's a late boarding cruise, I suppose. If they are starting at 3pm, 6 doesn't seem that ridiculous (if they were starting at 11am or something, I'd agree).

Just checked the same thing. It makes sense when you are starting at 3:30.

Sent from my iPhone

OP I remember being a slave to a toddler's schedule. The Schedule is the only thing that prevented meltdowns and utter chaos. I remember getting so stressed out when a wrench would be thrown into the works. Things worked out though.

Try to take a deep breath and enjoy Charleston and your cruise.

I completed the on line check in and viewed my boarding pass. It says under embarkation. 12:30pm to 3:00 pm. Is that my boarding time?

That just means they aren't doing staggered check in yet so you can show up anytime in that range. Boarding is separate and will commence as usual.

I'm sorry to have pissed so many of you off....wow, I didn't know my reach out for advice was gonna cause such a stir!!! My issues are with Carnival, not you all. I would have thought if you didn't have anything nice or constructive to say...then you just would have opted not to say anything at all, but boy was a wrong!! On a positive note, thank you to those people who suggested the children's museum or aquarium. I will definitely be looking into those options.

I completed the on line check in and viewed my boarding pass. It says under embarkation. 12:30pm to 3:00 pm. Is that my boarding time?

Keep an eye on any email that you receive from Carnival though. When they switched over to staggered check in in Long Beach it started the day that I returned from my last cruise. However, I did receive an email when the decision was made to use staggered check in LGB and immediately went to my Cruise Manager to be sure there was nothing that I needed to do. ( I read my emails from Carnival and don't assume they are all solicitations) Carnival does and will communicate any changes with you like this before your cruise AS LONG AS YOU CHECK AND READ YOUR EMAIL. (yes I did that for emphasis)

I'm sorry to say that the OP probably doesn't read their email when they get it otherwise they would have known that there were changes coming in the check in process and made a decision early enough to get what they feel is a better check in time.

I'm sorry to have pissed so many of you off....wow, I didn't know my reach out for advice was gonna cause such a stir!!! My issues are with Carnival, not you all. I would have thought if you didn't have anything nice or constructive to say...then you just would have opted not to say anything at all, but boy was a wrong!! On a positive note, thank you to those people who suggested the children's museum or aquarium. I will definitely be looking into those options.

Welcome! From your number of posts I think you might be new here. Don't let it get to you. There's some really good information and good people here.

Keep an eye on any email that you receive from Carnival though. When they switched over to staggered check in in Long Beach it started the day that I returned from my last cruise. However, I did receive an email when the decision was made to use staggered check in LGB and immediately went to my Cruise Manager to be sure there was nothing that I needed to do. ( I read my emails from Carnival and don't assume they are all solicitations) Carnival does and will communicate any changes with you like this before your cruise AS LONG AS YOU CHECK AND READ YOUR EMAIL. (yes I did that for emphasis)

I'm sorry to say that the OP probably doesn't read their email when they get it otherwise they would have known that there were changes coming in the check in process and made a decision early enough to get what they feel is a better check in time.

Thank you and thanks to the OP or I might've missed it to.

You have gotten some rude responses so I have a feeling you won't be back here' date=' but just in case I have 2 suggestions for you.

[b']First, just try calling Carnival again. A lot of times you will get a different person who is more sympathetic to your problem. Since it is important to you, maybe you can even try calling twice more just to see what happens.[/b]

My second suggestion is to reach out to people on your Roll Call here or on other social media sites. People with FTTF, Carnival Transfers, or Platinum and above still have to choose their check in times and a lot of them may have chosen an early time even though they can go whenever they want. So just ask them if they are willing to switch their time to one of the later times so you can switch to their time. You can even create a post here asking for help and maybe someone will be nice enough to change their time. I don't know exactly how that would work within Carnival's system, but it's worth a try.

I was not aware that rules worked that way.

Where do they draw the line if they waive the rule for everyone they have sympathy for?

And, if they do waive it for one person for this reason, why not another person for another supposed good reason?

I was not aware that rules worked that way.

Where do they draw the line if they waive the rule for everyone they have sympathy for?

And, if they do waive it for one person for this reason, why not another person for another supposed good reason?

Some people (not all) are sympathetic to the challenges others face.

She may get a mother working in the call center who answers the phone and is willing to take the time to see if someone on an earlier check in cancelled and move her up to that check in time.

Others (not everyone) understand hospitality and realize that a simple act of kindness would be an increase in revenue over time. Good customer service goes a long way.

So she may reach a manager who realizes that moving a mother with children up to a 5pm or even 4:30pm check in time will have no effect on the other 2500 passengers but in the long run will speak above and beyond the customer service Carnival provides.

Who knows? Should they move everyone up who calls in? No. But I know if I answered the phone when she called and explained her situation I would do what I could to accommodate her request.

Where if you answered the phone and listened to her issue... well, only you know how you would handle it.

-Sean

Another question. Our dining time is 6pm and we always go to the dining room. So I guess this means Carnival is skipping out on us (and everyone with check in 6pm and later) a dining room meal and forcing us to eat alternative. ??

When something like this happens, they make all dining open seating. It has happened to us several times on fog cruises out of Galveston. Boarding did not begin until 5pm and people were still getting on at 7pm. Dinner was open seating.

We are cruising in Dec on the Splendor and the last time we sailed on her they didn't have staggered check ins. How does it work at Miami? We have the 10:30 am slot. Do you recall when they actually started boarding?

U have. CHECK-IN time NOT a boarding time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

U have. CHECK-IN time NOT a boarding time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I REALIZE THAT IT IS A CHECK IN TIME. I ASKED WHAT TIME THEY STARTED BOARDING, SO I COULD DECIDE IF I WILL GET THERE EXACTLY AT 10:30 OR NOT.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I REALIZE THAT IT IS A CHECK IN TIME. I ASKED WHAT TIME THEY STARTED BOARDING, SO I COULD DECIDE IF I WILL GET THERE EXACTLY AT 10:30 OR NOT.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I understood what you were saying. It has been my experience that they start boarding anytime form 11:15 AM on.

So...People who defend strictly enforced staggered check-in say that it works great and the response is overwhelmingly positive...But when someone says that it didn't work great for them and is actually causing a big hassle, they get a bunch of responses criticizing them for their lack of personal responsibility and telling them they need to stop complaining? :confused:

Can we just acknowledge that Carnival's unique enforced check-in time is a negative for some guests who are forced into later times than they want? Telling OP they should have selected their time sooner would not actually eliminate this reality, because there are a limited number of early slots available -- if OP had gotten the early time, someone else would have been shut out. Unfortunately for the OP, the problem is magnified because of the late start to check-in on that cruise.

Disney also enforces check in times and asking for a child exception doesn't work there,either.

So glad to see you come back with a softened attitude and a positive solution. I was getting pretty upset with some of the responses who told you to just keep nagging until you get your way. You probably know how much you enjoy your kids temper tantrums. Lol.

You will get dinner. You must know that the first night is very relaxed and there are always open late seating spots anyway.

Your attitude the first day will set the tone for your family for the entire trip so try to make it upbeat. I know you can.

FYI. People on these boards do not like it when new people come on hurling complaints and asking for special treatment, which I am sorry, your original post sounded like. Not just asking for advice as you may have thought.

Anyway, welcome to cc and use the boards for research. I have learned so many things to improve my cruise experience. Going with an open mind will also improve you children's trip as well as their life. Have a great cruise and make wonderful memories

Regardless of what time your kids' bedtime is (and I have a niece and two nephews, as well as my own daughter who all have/had strict bedtime routines) they would have to be kept up for the muster drill regardless. That should have been something you considered when booking since this is obviously a later than usual cruise.

^^^^^......so why the fuss about the staggered check in time? The family would have to be at muster regardless. With it being a later departure (hope she knew that much) muster will be at around 8 or 9ish anyway,disrupting bedtime.

Maybe I'm missing something (probably am) but I just don't get her frustration!!!

Edited by Shirleybird

Some people (not all) are sympathetic to the challenges others face.

She may get a mother working in the call center who answers the phone and is willing to take the time to see if someone on an earlier check in cancelled and move her up to that check in time.

Others (not everyone) understand hospitality and realize that a simple act of kindness would be an increase in revenue over time. Good customer service goes a long way.

So she may reach a manager who realizes that moving a mother with children up to a 5pm or even 4:30pm check in time will have no effect on the other 2500 passengers but in the long run will speak above and beyond the customer service Carnival provides.

Who knows? Should they move everyone up who calls in? No. But I know if I answered the phone when she called and explained her situation I would do what I could to accommodate her request.

Where if you answered the phone and listened to her issue... well, only you know how you would handle it.

-Sean

Just to point out we don't even know if a manager or supervisor or whoever it takes to allocate a new slot to someone. You make it sound that if you don't get what you want it is the person not being hospitable but may just be they can't do what you want at that time with the permissions they have. Or that person may not an expert in that part of the system and can't manage to do what you want.

But if you call again and ask someone else it may not be the same as last time you called. Just your little bit of time is lost if you say no.

FYI. People on these boards do not like it when new people come on hurling complaints and asking for special treatment, which I am sorry, your original post sounded like. Not just asking for advice as you may have thought.

Anyway, welcome to cc and use the boards for research.

Check the top right corner of my posts. I've been on this group since October 2006....10 years with this group and many more years of cruising!! So not really sure why you say I'm new. ??

Just to point out we don't even know if a manager or supervisor or whoever it takes to allocate a new slot to someone. You make it sound that if you don't get what you want it is the person not being hospitable but may just be they can't do what you want at that time with the permissions they have. Or that person may not an expert in that part of the system and can't manage to do what you want.

But if you call again and ask someone else it may not be the same as last time you called. Just your little bit of time is lost if you say no.

My point simply was that it never hurts to ask. Maybe twice (my kids do... first mom and then dad).

Worst they will say is no.

-Sean

My point simply was that it never hurts to ask. Maybe twice (my kids do... first mom and then dad).

Worst they will say is no.

-Sean

It does hurt to ask. You put the representative in a position requiring confrontation and are suggesting that nagging is an acceptable behavior. You leave the representative with a pit in their belly while they wait for a complaint to be filled for their attitude for doing their job

It does hurt to ask. You put the representative in a position requiring confrontation and are suggesting that nagging is an acceptable behavior. You leave the representative with a pit in their belly while they wait for a complaint to be filled for their attitude for doing their job

You've never worked in a call center.

-Sean