Cozumel Beach

alex800

We are going to Cozumel in November. There will be 7 of us and ranging 2 yrs to 60 yrs old. Looking to relax at the beach and not far from the port. Also are there any beaches that don't require a day pass or has minimal fee? I don't want to spend $400 for a beach day. Tia

Edited by alex800

Consider Playa Palancar. Taxi was $25 probably a bit more for 7. Journey was 15mins max. Wait for the tours to leave to avoid the queues. Free entry you just pay $5 for sun beds. Enough places to eat and rent snorkelling stuff. Boat trips available. Just no water toys or reefs on the beach itself. We stayed until early afternoon and still had a bit of time to shop and still get back to the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Paradise Beach is closer, offers great facilities, a HUGE pool, water toys (extra fee) and good food/drinks/service. $3 admission/chair rental and a taxi for 4 will be $17 each way -- so about $25-30 for your group in a van taxi. Strictly pay as you go - they ask that you spend $10 per person on food drinks, which is easy to do (one drink and some yummy nachos will do it).

IMHO the Pay as you go side of Mr. Sanchos is inferior to Paradise Beach - PB offers better facilities and a huge pool. They are not too far away so the water quality/sand will be very comparable.

If you were looking for AI then Mr. Sanchos would be a great option. Good luck! :)

Is it cheaper to do pay as you go or with a company that you can pay ahead of time and get all included?

It depends upon how much you will eat & drink. :confused: Most of the AI places (Sanchos, Nachi, Playa Mia) charge about $50 per adult. If you will eat/drink enough, or do not want to worry every time someone in your party orders another beer/soda/margarita, then go AI. If you will just have a few drinks and maybe share some nachos, then go PAYG.

You do not need to book with a company - Coz is easy to do a beach club on your own. Pick the beach you want and grab a taxi! Enjoy! :)

Not sure what you mean by private? :confused: Beaches in Mexico are public property up to the water line - anyone can stroll along; the restrictions are about using their private facilities, pools, bars, etc.

Nachi is very quiet and uncrowded - limited to 100 guest per day.

The farther away from the tourist zone you go, the less crowds you will find - Play Palancar is one option.

Lots of almost deserted beaches on the far side of the island, but usually the wave/currents make it too dangerous to go into the water.

Are there any quiet private beaches? We are renting a car and touring the island and thought about stopping somewhere other than Paradise, Sanchos Nachi etc......

Do you mean isolated beaches? All beaches in Mexico are public but the facilities are privately owned as John said. You will find deserted beaches on the east side, or small beach bars with less people, as well as the larger Punta Morena which has more facilities but still has quiet areas. Swimming is not recommended on this side of the island.

Careful with drinking and driving, and be sure to read up on insurance and accident policies in Mexico.

Does anyone know of a beach on Cozumel--even a small one--where it is very flat entry and almost no wave action---for a non-swimmer who is terrified of the big waves? Yes, that would be me! Even though I can't swim, I love being in the water with the simple air mattress floats to lay cross-wise so my feet can still touch bottom

What I'm looking for is like at Half Moon Cay and Magen's Bay beach on St. Thomas. They run very flat for a long way out, and because they are protected (bay or reef) the water does not have waves, just very gentle movement.

Is there any such bird on Cozumel?

Thanks for any help with this. :)

Usually very small to no waves at most of the Coz beach clubs - the bigger waves and currents are on the other side of the island. We've enjoyed the foam floating mat at Nachi. The small beach at Chankanaab is another option.