Cruiseline transfers vs taxi FLL and MIA

flashdog_1

I have never cruised out of Miami before and do not know how far the airport is to the port, or what I should expect for a cab fare or how much time to alot as far as picking flight times to get me to the ship for that first buffet lunch , so I can compare it to what a transfer would cost thru the cruise line.

Same for Fort Lauderdale. I'd read on cruise critic that a cab from airport to pier was $10 plus tip (thinking that was for 2 or 3 people) but I am now reading that shuttles specifically for getting people to the ship are $10 per person plus $2 tip plus $1 gas surplus charge. I know the pier and airport are VERY close.

Can anyone set me straight.;) Thanks

Same for Fort Lauderdale. I'd read on cruise critic that a cab from airport to pier was $10 plus tip (thinking that was for 2 or 3 people) but I am now reading that shuttles specifically for getting people to the ship are $10 per person plus $2 tip plus $1 gas surplus charge. I know the pier and airport are VERY close.
I don't know about MIA, but a taxi from FLL to the cruise port is definitely the way to go. It is just as you described, except I don't think you are limited by the number of people. I know it is still the same price for 4 people.

it depends on where the flights gets you to where you have to go. Lots of people fly into one port then take transportation to the other one coz its a lot cheaper.

ex-- we fly into FLL for a miami cruise coz its over 100.pp cheaper to do that. We then rent a car sevice to take us to the pier in Miami at a cost of 200. round trip(_this is for a stretch limo for 6 adults) a town car will be less expensive.

if flying into the same port and the cruise--figure about 20 bucks a cab compared to the cruiselines shuttle which is about 20 per person. Taking the shuttle you must wait til the bus fills up then arrive enmasse with all the people getting ont he ship--or checking in at the airport.

Thanks for FT Lauderdale airport to pier information. Still awaiting Miami info. I've looked on line and it appears the shuttles are $12 each plus gas surcharge plus gratuities. If a cab is cheaper why does anyone book a shuttle, for the peace of mind ?

we always book our air independently.

sometimes we will ADD the transfers to our cruise package.

sometimes we will TAKE THE TAXI.

I don't find significant difference in charge 'tween the taxi / transfer.

That being said:

FLL and MIA are both close for either port - (I usually find FLL slightly more affordable to fly into)

When I want ease of transfer, I add the ship transfer. If we travel with another couple, it usually works out well to "share the cab".

IF I fly into an airport, such as LAX where the port is a hefty distance, I pre-order something like Super Shuttle.

Points to be made:

*First time cruisers are best advised to do everything through the ship the first time. Repeat cruisers get to know the lay-of-the-land and manage nicely independently.

*Bus transfers can get tedious -- sometimes you might hurry with debarkation only to find yourself in the front bus seat waiting up to a half hour (inhaling fumes) whilst other seats fill. Never mind waiting for your luggage to be removed from the underbelly of the bus! And sometimes one is forced to wait (in the heat 'n humidity?) for a bus transfer to arrive at the airport.

I have had the best and bad of everything. There is no one answer.

MIA has plenty of taxis - I'd probably go with a taxi. You can always change your mind once on board the ship and purchase return bus transfers if you don't like the taxi experience. Just remember you won't be the only cruise passenger flying into MIA -

Good morning:) Hi Phyllis

Transfers vs shuttles vs taxis........vs LOL

I am sailing out of Miami for the first time in February. I am flying

into FLL though as SW has the most reasonable prices and times for

me. Celebrity offers a transfer for 20.00 which I am going with as well.

Normally sailing out of FLL, I go a day early and enjoy a nice dinner

at one of the local restaurants and take a cab to the port for about

5-10 bucks.

I am flying in this time the day we sail. I get into FLL at 10:40am and

we sail at 5 in the afternoon.

There are other transportation services..one is called Tri-County.

They are 18.00 as opposed to X's 20 bucks. My TA is booking it

and told her to just do the cruiseline for me.

Hi Serene:) no, I totally changed my plans and never made it to Philly

or the Horizon.

I went last month on SUMMIT to the Mexican Riveria with a friend

from these boards.

I would still like to sail to Bermuda one day....though Horizon is no

longer part of the Celebrity Fleet.

Thanks for asking:)

Thanks for FT Lauderdale airport to pier information. Still awaiting Miami info. I've looked on line and it appears the shuttles are $12 each plus gas surcharge plus gratuities. If a cab is cheaper why does anyone book a shuttle, for the peace of mind ?

Although a cab is cheaper, hailing one upon disembarkation can often be a total free-for-all with hundreds of other passengers waiting to do the same; so the deciding factor might be how much time you have to work with to make your return flight.

You dont expect taxi rate would remain the same as last year with gas up almost a buck ? Unlike shuttle, taxi cannot add fuel surcharges, its rates are fixed by the government ...

Between FLL and Port Everglade, there is NO flat rate and it goes by meter - in the past it is somewhere between 7 to 8 bucks so now it should be just above 10.

Between MIA and Port Miami, there is FLAT rate made by government - I believe it was $20 or $22 last year. Dont know if it has gone up or not. You could go to Port Miami website to find out.

Between FLL and MIA, the most flexible and economical way is to rent a car and do a drop off. Budget is very reasonable. Personally I dont see driving is any more difficult than, say, big cities in North East, Chicago, or big cities in West Coast. I-95 straight down, and of course if you are unlucky you would run into traffic jams caused by accidents ...

Tri-county has shuttles at FLL to MIA that charges by person, but they DONT have the reversed operation.

I was on the Oct. 30 sailing in FLL. From FLL to the Princess pier, the meter read $12.50 (give or take $0.10). From the Princess Pier to FLL, the meter was $14.90. Tip amount varies per individual so I'll leave it up to you to figure out how much the total cost is. They didn't charge per person. It was just the meter amount plus tip.

Before the cruise, Princess wanted $20 per person for the shuttle transfer. That's $40 for the two of us. Way more than the taxi. Princess put a little announcement during the end of teh cruise that if we wanted transfers from the ship to the airport, it would only be $10 per person. For 1 person, that's great. 2, it's not too bad. But 3 or more, taxi is better.

Taxi's were so convenient that if you're flying into FLL and cruising out of Port Everglades, then I can't see why you'd take a shuttle. It was our first time at Fort Lauderdale too, but the port's so close, you can see the ships from the airport gates.

We are flying into MIA a day before our cruise out of Port Everglades. Our plan is to stay in a South Beach hotel for the night (never been there). Based on anybody's experience, would it be more economical to take a taxi, rent a car, or have a shuttle drive us from the South Beach hotel to Fort Everglades on the day of our cruise.

The reason we are flying into MIA instead of FLL is the return flight offered by the Celebrity from Santaigo was flying into Miami, not Ft. Lauderdale. Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks,

Terrell

Not everyone has more than one person to split the cab fare. If you're by yourself you can pay $12 for the shuttle or $22 for the cab. Which would you do?

Archived