San Juan PR embarkation

JuliaMS

Does RCCI consider San Juan a North American Home Port or South American? The drinking age in PR is 18 so wondering what the drinking age will be on the ship. The web site only refers to ships leaving from North American homeports being drinking age 21. Because of college schedules we will be traveling with my son 2 weeks before he turns 21, it would be nice for him to be able to have a beer or two at dinner with us.

Edited by JuliaMS

A friend of mine cruised with her daughter who was 18 and if they signed a waiver she could have beer or wine, but only when her parents were there, that was out of Florida.

On Royal? I know NCL does that.

A friend of mine cruised with her daughter who was 18 and if they signed a waiver she could have beer or wine, but only when her parents were there, that was out of Florida.

Probably not on a RCI ship because they do not have such a rule in North America

Even though her daughter enjoyed a few glasses of wine at dinner she didn't think it was really something that was that important.

It's not all that important, just would have been nice way to usher in his birthday. It's a port intensive cruise so he will have plenty of time to have one on shore.

Thinking about it, I'm not sure, probably Carnival. Even though her daughter enjoyed a few glasses of wine at dinner she didn't think it was really something that was that important.

It was definitely not Carnival. They are still trying to live down their reputation from decades ago. They are very strict about it.

Bill

We cruised world wide when our son was between 18 and 21 and experienced the bizarre situation where in Europe and Asia he could drink on RC ships and when we visited the Caribbean he couldn't.

It was never a big deal and the 'rules' were never strictly enforced. For example, if we ordered wine at dinner the waiters would offer to pour our son a glass, he just never tried to purchase on his sea pass card.

In San Juan your son will be able to drink, our son was asked for picture ID in our hotel, I think he was 20 at the time, so ensure if you visit bars he takes ID with him.