Free soda for kids in dinning room?

but then neither did Carnival for us a year ago. You had to buy the soda card and then they gave it to you. We were on Adventure of the Seas and Carnival Conquest before that, so for those two boats I'd say no.

Sorry!

-DEM920

Thanks for your help....we were on the Carnival Miracle and they did during dinner but that was the only time it was free. They didn't let you know that, you had to ask for it. As for RCI....oh well...we will bring some soda's for them to drink at other times during the day. Thanks

Bringing your own is the way to go, of course you will still have to pay in the dining room as you wouldn't want the kids to bring their sodas in there I wouldn't think. As for Carnival, how long ago was it that you did get free soft drinks during dinner. I thought all lines were now charging. I can't swear to that, I just thought they were. Have a great cruise. NMnita

newmexiconita- It was last Nov.(2004) that we went on Miracle and it was only for the kids....and they don't advertise it (so to speak) They may not offer it now. I hadn't planned on bring the soda to the dinning room...didn't feel that would be right. I'll just bring it for them to drink at other times during the cruise. We are looking forward to the sovereign. I know it's older and the rooms are small....but it will do the trick for a quick get away. Thank you all for your replies.

newmexiconita- It was last Nov.(2004) that we went on Miracle and it was only for the kids....and they don't advertise it (so to speak) They may not offer it now. I hadn't planned on bring the soda to the dinning room...didn't feel that would be right. I'll just bring it for them to drink at other times during the cruise. We are looking forward to the sovereign. I know it's older and the rooms are small....but it will do the trick for a quick get away. Thank you all for your replies.

thanks, that is good to know and I am glad they do this, I think? Actually I wish kids didn't drink so many sodas, but my grand kids probably wish I didn't drink so much wine: we are even.....LOL

My last cruise was 15 yrs ago and they did not have soda cards it was all free on RC. Wow times sure have changed, You even have to pay to have them give your kids juice. With all of the $$$ you pay for the cruise they could at least take care of the kids !

S.S. Azure Seas 11/11/90

Voyager of the seas 11/26/05:D

Disney went the other way with sodas; they used to be free only at sit down meals and you could buy a soda card (sticker) for the rest of the time; AAA gave their members free soda cards on disney, but now.... sodas are free 24 hrs. a day for everyone on disney. They have self-serve fountains on various decks and then all sit down sodas are free. They got tired of having their bartenders wasting time with the soda cards rather than making drinks they could charge for. I really think they should be free at sit down meals on RC at the very least.

My last cruise was 15 yrs ago and they did not have soda cards it was all free on RC. Wow times sure have changed, You even have to pay to have them give your kids juice. With all of the $$$ you pay for the cruise they could at least take care of the kids !

S.S. Azure Seas 11/11/90

Sorry, but your logic escapes me. (I do think that juice should be included all day at no charge, but that's JMO.) What I don't get is why you say they should "at least take care of the kids" as if because they are kids they are entitled to more or better treatment than adults.

RCI does take care of the kids with AO and tons of kid- and family-oriented activities and amenities. Adults pay as much as kids do. When kids are 3rd/4th pax they pay less, just like any other 3rd/4th pax. Cruisers want their kids to be treated fairly; no problem. I simply don't agree that they are entitled to better/more than adults, which is what your post seems to say. (And no, before someone jumps all over me, I am not by any means saying kids shouldn't cruise; I've never said that and I don't think so.)

Now the issue of including soda is a hot one for many people. However, if it's to be included, it should be included for everyone.

beachchick

I'm just back from 12 nights on the Serenade with my 4 children - there was no charge, or limit, any night in the dining room for soda, juice or milk.

Have a fantastic cruise!

Sandra

Sandrab....that's good to know.I will ask when in the dinning room. It never hurts to ask. Thanks a bunch! ;-)

S.S. Azure Seas 11/11/90

Assume the kid(s) stay with the parents, then they are paying highly discounted rate. Where is the $$$ to "take care" of them?

Disney went the other way with sodas; they used to be free only at sit down meals and you could buy a soda card (sticker) for the rest of the time; AAA gave their members free soda cards on disney, but now.... sodas are free 24 hrs. a day for everyone on disney. They have self-serve fountains on various decks and then all sit down sodas are free. They got tired of having their bartenders wasting time with the soda cards rather than making drinks they could charge for. I really think they should be free at sit down meals on RC at the very least.

There is many a thread on more than just this board comparing DCL to RCI, but this is one small point (and no, it does not cover the typical price premium that is often found on DCL) where DCL makes it a friendly environment.

Sorry, but your logic escapes me. (I do think that juice should be included all day at no charge, but that's JMO.) What I don't get is why you say they should "at least take care of the kids" as if because they are kids they are entitled to more or better treatment than adults.

RCI does take care of the kids with AO and tons of kid- and family-oriented activities and amenities. Adults pay as much as kids do. When kids are 3rd/4th pax they pay less, just like any other 3rd/4th pax. Cruisers want their kids to be treated fairly; no problem. I simply don't agree that they are entitled to better/more than adults, which is what your post seems to say. (And no, before someone jumps all over me, I am not by any means saying kids shouldn't cruise; I've never said that and I don't think so.)

Now the issue of including soda is a hot one for many people. However, if it's to be included, it should be included for everyone.

beachchick

Do you have kids ? It does not sound like it. We are talking about a drink not AO by the way you still have to pay $5 a hr for the zone and that is not a prob. for me. Sure It would be nice to have everyone taken care of as far as drinks go but those days seem to be gone.

Assume the kid(s) stay with the parents, then they are paying highly discounted rate. Where is the $$$ to "take care" of them?

My daughter is with me most the time unless I want to go out later at night then I pay $5. And as far as kids staying with parents I did not get a "highly discounted rate" I paid what you pay for a 3rd adult. Bye the way This is my first cruise with my 8 yr. old.

Beachchick,

If you feel that soda is a issue for everyone then maybe it would be a good idea to start a new thread about this:) . Soda cards are new to me and it would be good to hear what alot of adults have to say.;)

Actually, I never wrote that I consider soda an issue for anybody. I wrote that it is a big deal for some people. As a matter of fact, it isn't much of a deal to me. I questioned the rationale that says children are entitled to free soda, but not adults. That is all my post indicated.

Also, the $5 for the Zone is only late night. AO activities are included the rest of the time. I guess I'm asking how this figures into it. You said that with all the money you pay that RCI should "take care" of the kids. I simply pointed out that they do take care of the kids (with AO and special activities for families).

One last thing, in answer to your question, yes DH and I do have kids. Well, actually kid. Our DD is grown and on her own. When she was a child, we never expected discounts or special treatment just because she was a child. When it was offered, we were thrilled, but never considered it our right as parents. And we still have two youngsters in our lives now. Their parents don't expect special treatment, but are happy to accept it when offered.

Why do you assume that someone who thinks a perk like free soda at dinner should apply to all and not just children isn't a parent? Is it that you think that all parents should agree that kids deserve something free just for being kids? Or perhaps that it costs more to travel with kids (and don't think we don't know that), so RCI should give parents a break on the costs? (BTW, the "you must not be a parent" line is the kind of rather rude accusation some posters tend to "throw out" to anyone who mentions the slightest thing that is perceived as "anti-kid." It might be better not to make such assumptions.)

beachchick

Wow are you for real?:eek: I had made a simple comment RE: kids and drinks which was what this thread was about. And now you have come into this thread and made it a bitter zone. So Sad!:confused:

I feel this is a valid comment. You know I may not be a more experienced traveler as yourself, I am mearly trying to ask simple questions and make simple comments. I would like to hear from others RE: this thread and please keep it to the topic of the thread.

Of course I think kids shouldn't be drinking soda at ALL. :D Then again, neither should adults. They're either full of sugar or the diet ones are full of chemicals, not to mention the phosphorus in soda interferes with calcium absorbtion, which I think would be the LAST thing a parent would want.

Well, that should set the cat amongst the pigeons, as my British friend would say! :D :eek: :D

(wish they had a popcorn icon on here like the other place I post :p )

Archived