Please help me understand the Celebrity one-category upgrade

Doc2725

If you are Captain's Club, you can get a one cat upgrade. However, that is useless now with the perk system since it can't be combined with other offers. That's why we really don't talk about it these days. It will be applicable on cruises where there are no offers, like transatlantics.

This seems to be true, at least for European bookings. Just booked a constellation cruise today, hoping for a 2B at the price of the 2C, however, Upgrade was apparently not combinable with the go big pricing we had chosen. Doublechecked this with celebrity as well. Pity, as there was a significant price difference between the categories and we liked the location of some of the 2Bs.

They are not transferrable, but because I was so high in RCCL loyalty, it was also recognized by Celebrity and I came into the program higher than those with no or low RCCL. Azamara doesn't recognize RCCL or Celebrity at all. You have the same loyalty number for all 3 cruiselines.

I believe you are mis-informed. The loyalty number on RCL and Celebrity/Azamara are different. The Club number is the same on Celebrity/Azamara who share the same club points.

You co-earn club points on both simultaneously sailing on either Celebrity OR Azamara. That does not happen with RCL.From RCL you transfer to an equivalent club level on Celebrity/Azamara. If you are transferring from RCL you don't earn any RCL points but earn the Celebrity/Azamara points. Vis a versa

I don't always take this perk... i prefer the A2 location on some ships, so i'd rather stay put.

For my next cruise I did take the A1 upgrade though because they had an angled balcony available.

Basically my TA booked the A2 category and called Celebrity to change the room number to an A1 room, keeping the existing pricing.

We paid for a 2-C balcony (which is obstructed) and got s free one-step upgrade to a 2-D (unobstructed) We saved around $100. [emoji3]

And also paid for an A2 and upgraded to an A1.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you are Captain's Club, you can get a one cat upgrade. However, that is useless now with the perk system since it can't be combined with other offers. That's why we really don't talk about it these days. It will be applicable on cruises where there are no offers, like transatlantics. Note that the upgrade is within category only (ie: 2D to 2C, not Concierge to Aqua). I've probably forgotten something, but that's the main concept.

I have always been offered a category upgrade along with whatever perks are being offered. They aren't mutually exclusive. In my case that has always been from an A2 to and A1 (aqua).

This seems to be true, at least for European bookings. Just booked a constellation cruise today, hoping for a 2B at the price of the 2C, however, Upgrade was apparently not combinable with the go big pricing we had chosen. Doublechecked this with celebrity as well. Pity, as there was a significant price difference between the categories and we liked the location of some of the 2Bs.

You can get the upgrade in the UK and combine it with the Go Big pricing. Unless you're on a holiday sailing or part of a special group rate, you would be able to get it here - have to say I'm unsure about the rest of Europe though :confused:.

We paid for a 2-C balcony (which is obstructed) and got s free one-step upgrade to a 2-D (unobstructed) We saved around $100. [emoji3]

And also paid for an A2 and upgraded to an A1.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A 2D is lower than a 2C so I do hope you didn't get downgraded?

You can't upgrade if the next category up is on closed or guarantee status; you can only upgrade if there is a specific cabin open. If there isn't, just keep checking and you shouldn't have any problem upgrading (I'm not sure about after final payment though).

It is also true that you cannot book a higher level cabin at the lower level rate if the lower level is closed: e.g. cannot book an A1 cabin at an A2 rate if there is no A2 cabin available for booking.

You can get the upgrade in the UK and combine it with the Go Big pricing. Unless you're on a holiday sailing or part of a special group rate, you would be able to get it here - have to say I'm unsure about the rest of Europe though :confused:.

I am booking from Austria, but via a German TA.

I don't think it's a group rate, since my TA is offering the same base price as celebrity. Well, whatever it is, they told us no. It's ok, we're still happy with the cabin we got :) and bookings seem slow, so maybe we can snag a (paid) upgrade along the way. It's just very annoying that so many different booking rules exist depending on where you live.

I am booking from Austria, but via a German TA.

I don't think it's a group rate, since my TA is offering the same base price as celebrity. Well, whatever it is, they told us no. It's ok, we're still happy with the cabin we got :) and bookings seem slow, so maybe we can snag a (paid) upgrade along the way. It's just very annoying that so many different booking rules exist depending on where you live.

I'm not sure that's true. I live in the US and I am able to combine an upgrade with the perks. Whomever said you couldn't was not correct imo. It's possible that;

- your TA is wrong (which wouldn't be the first time for sure),

- that there were no upgraded cabins available

- that you fall into one the few exceptions (the concierge situation or that you have already selected and paid for the highest level cabin within the category.

When there are differences (example: deposits non-refundable in the UK), they are driven by the law of the land where you live..not by Celebrity.