What they do not tell you

flstplt

My brother in law and his wife who became our sailing partners on our last three cruises were to sail also but she had a stroke in early July. They finished paying for the trip, last payment in mid July to include trip insurance. Doctors told them in August it was not a good idea to take this cruise. When they cancelled they were told they did not have the insurance until the last payment was made in mid July and since she suffered the stroke in early July, it was a preexisting condition. Come on! This information is not listed anywhere! Be up front with your customers. After three telephone calls to RCCL and speaking to people that seemed to really not care about the situation they were finally refunded approximately seventy-five percent of the trip. If this is not a case of "bait and switch" there was never one. My wife and I, both diamond members now wonder what else RCCL is not telling their customers?

Despite the misunderstanding, I am glad they got back the 75% of the trip cost. I guess the refund was based on the "cancel for any reason", not on medical reason. I hope your BIL's wife gets better.

All good reasons to NOT buy travel insurance directly from the cruise line. There are very good travel insurance agencies out there (online)that will give you better coverage for your money.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Actually, there are pros and cons to all policies. You have to read the features of each. In the care of RCCL insurance, which I normally purchase, it contains the 75% "cancel for any reason" portion, if you cancel the cruise you don't lose the premium, and the cost is significantly lower than third party policies.

I have used 3rd party policies when there has been certain specific needs. However we book often a year out. There are plenty of reasons as the year goes that I might cancel. Third party policies cost on average $300 or more for 2 of us. In order to activate pre-existing conditions clause, you need to purchase them within 14 days of initial deposit. And they're non-refundable. So it comes down to what your needs are and how confident you are of not cancelling the bookings.

Hope your cruise buddy is recovering and will be able to cruise with you soon. Even third party insurance does not cover pre-existing conditions unless the policy is purchased with in 14 to 21 days after paying your deposit. You can also purchase a cancel for any reason policy anytime but they seem to be much more expensive than purchase your insurance at time of deposit. Also be aware that most medicare policies do not cover you out of the country. Please check your insurance plans to make sure that you have coverage when you are traveling. You also need to check to see if your insurance policy is primary or secondary. The medical provider normally need to be paid at time of service and then file claims when you return home.

Sorry to jump in here. I have no experience with RCL at all.

What I have explored recently is the insurance coverage available at no extra cost to a passenger who uses a Credit Card to make payment(s) for a cruise.

While this is also "something they do not tell you", if you spend some time doing the research, it becomes clear that your Visa or Mastercard may well help with the situation described in this thread.

Relatively few people take advantage of this credit card feature, but it is to be expected that the travel insurance folks would not and do not promote competing coverage. Especially so since it is included in the cardmember agreement at no extra charge.

Edited by thinfool

But sometimes people just don't realize that they need to ask certain questions.

I agree with this. And I feel bad for the OP. However, I hope the SIL is recovering well.

I think a lot of people take for granted that the things they know because they are travelers are 'common sense'. But not every one travels as often or has had situations arise where they would think of EVERY POSSIBLE SCENARIO that could happen because they don't realize that THEY COULD HAPPEN.

My brother in-law started this post I would just like to clarify a couple of thing, we booked the cruise and thought we purchased the insurance Dec. of 2015 my wife 's health was fine no history of a stroke, we had been making payments all along when she had the stroke June 29 2016 she was in hospital and we had a couple of weeks left to make final payment but was not thinking of it right away but did make it on time my wife came home and started seeing a new neurologist and about a month later he advised her it would not be a good idea because it would be just at three months after her stroke and she would be very susceptible to another stroke . I called to cancel and RCCL gave me 50% back and told me to make claim with insurance for the rest. I was told by ins. that because I made final payment after she had stroke it was a precondition I asked why that was and where is it stated that I do not have the insurance until final payment they told me it is not written anywhere but that is the way it is, they put me on the phone with RCCL and I was told the same, it is not written anywhere in bill or invoice that you are not covered until final payment is made but that is the way it is. I was bothered more by the fact that they told that is just the way it is and not written anywhere more than anything else. So all that suggested to pay up front most times it does not matter you get 100% back in most cases before final payment is made, but in our case we got caught in a technicality and not be fully informed by word of mouth or in writing. For all those who wished my wife well thank you she is doing better and we hope to be sailing again next year and yes it will be on RCCL.

My brother in-law started this post I would just like to clarify a couple of thing, we booked the cruise and thought we purchased the insurance Dec. of 2015 my wife 's health was fine no history of a stroke, we had been making payments all along when she had the stroke June 29 2016 she was in hospital and we had a couple of weeks left to make final payment but was not thinking of it right away but did make it on time my wife came home and started seeing a new neurologist and about a month later he advised her it would not be a good idea because it would be just at three months after her stroke and she would be very susceptible to another stroke . I called to cancel and RCCL gave me 50% back and told me to make claim with insurance for the rest. I was told by ins. that because I made final payment after she had stroke it was a precondition I asked why that was and where is it stated that I do not have the insurance until final payment they told me it is not written anywhere but that is the way it is, they put me on the phone with RCCL and I was told the same, it is not written anywhere in bill or invoice that you are not covered until final payment is made but that is the way it is. I was bothered more by the fact that they told that is just the way it is and not written anywhere more than anything else. So all that suggested to pay up front most times it does not matter you get 100% back in most cases before final payment is made, but in our case we got caught in a technicality and not be fully informed by word of mouth or in writing. For all those who wished my wife well thank you she is doing better and we hope to be sailing again next year and yes it will be on RCCL.

Thanks for the clarification. I hope she continues to improve.

I've made clear my views of cruiseline insurance. It has poor coverage, does not take effect until paid in full, and does not waive pre existing conditions.

Was your insurance premium bundled with the cruise fare that was paid in installment, or did you pay the insurance premium separately? If the former, RCCL may have waited for your final payment last July before remitting your premium to the insurance company. If that's the case, that could be the reason for the confusion and misunderstanding, which is not entirely your fault. Just my opinion.

It's nice to know your wife is recovering well.

Man, this absolutely sucks. But I'm glad that it hasn't put you off cruising. Wishing you and your wife all the best

I don't have access to the exact info you would have had access to (by link right there next to the payment line), but I'm sure you could find it in an email confirmation.

This is from April of this year. It comes up when you click "View terms, conditions, and plan sponsors". http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/RCC-Version-4-8-2016.pdf

Term of Coverage

When Coverage Begins

All coverages will take effect on the later of:

1) the date the plan payment has been received by Royal Caribbean International;

2) the date and time you start your Covered Cruise Vacation; or

3) 12:01 A.M. Standard Time on the Scheduled Departure Date of your

Covered Cruise Vacation.

The later of those time periods would be the date and time you start your covered cruise vacation, right?

Insurance is HIGHLY regulated, and they can't have unwritten rules.

So I know it would be written somewhere. I almost missed it. Third time through, there it was. Important to read insurance paperwork thoroughly.

Edited by mollyeilis

This is where an experienced travel agent can help. They can advise about purchasing insurance within the 14 days of cruise deposit to waive pre-existing conditions, what is covered, etc.

The only time I've personally needed insurance, was when I had purchased through RCI. What I found very valuable, was they provided an English-speaking staff (through On Call) to interpret for me, the patient, and my husband in a foreign port. So having an interpreter in a foreign port, 24/7, in my case, throughout the 5 night hospital stay, was invaluable. Not sure if all insurances provide this, I think usually not.

Again, every cruise I've booked, either through the cruise line or a TA, I've always paid the insurance, along with the deposit for the cruise, upfront. I remember even the on-line travel web sites do this as well.

Also, as mentioned in prior posts, travel insurance is usually secondary when it comes to paying medical expenses, unless you purchase Primary, which then about doubles the insurance premium. When services are provided, the patient is responsible to pay the bill prior to discharge, and then submit it to your primary insurance when you get home. If there is any balance remaining, that is where the insurance will kick in. Insurance can also cover the expense of getting home.

We actually purchase the insurance now to cover any possible medical evacuation costs and/or refund of a cancelled cruise fare due to illness.

Pays to check what you need and what you are purchasing.

Happy Cruising,

tnt10

I'm not sure if anyone else has raised this, but for UK cruisers it's slightly different in that it doesn't matter whether you pay for insurance on the booking date or on the final payment date, if you need to cancel, you will lose the deposit you have put down.

I have yet to find anyone who received their deposit back if they need to cancel/change sailing. Even if you had to change the date, you'd lose the deposit and have to pay another deposit on another sailing (unless, if you use a TA, they have made an error.)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sorry to jump in here. I have no experience with RCL at all.

What I have explored recently is the insurance coverage available at no extra cost to a passenger who uses a Credit Card to make payment(s) for a cruise.

While this is also "something they do not tell you", if you spend some time doing the research, it becomes clear that your Visa or Mastercard may well help with the situation described in this thread.

Relatively few people take advantage of this credit card feature, but it is to be expected that the travel insurance folks would not and do not promote competing coverage. Especially so since it is included in the cardmember agreement at no extra charge.

Without exception, Travel Cancellation Coverage offered by the best and the best of the best of Credit Card issuers does not cover reimbursement of cancellation penalties for pre-existing medical conditions.

Edited by AdGuyMG

We have AAA and our agent always books our cruises and he tells us the procedure each and every time we book which includes telling us the cut off to take insurance for pre-existing etc so we are never in a bind. And I might add the insurance through AAA is a lot cheaper then the actual cruise line.

Without exception, Travel Cancellation Coverage offered by the best and the best of the best of Credit Card issuers does not cover reimbursement of cancellation penalties for pre-existing medical conditions.

No doubt you are right. But how does it work that the OP may have made a deposit on the cruise with a CC long before the date of the stroke?

Would the CC insurance view the effective date as the date the deposit was made or would it follow the situation described by the OP?