Have you tried requesting the Low Salt dining preference?

JuliaMS

At home I do not have a problem with salt but on a cruise I swell up terribly. I'm sure it's a combination of the heat and the excess salt in the food. I'm afraid the low salt menu may not have much flavor so just wondering if anyone has tried it. I already have to have gluten free (that's not optional)and the thought of adding low sodium to that doesn't sound great and I don't want it to be a pain in the kitchen.

I haven't but I definitely have considered it as I too swell up horribly on cruises!

My plan is to ask the waiters for a low salt option on an as-needed basis! Based on what I have read, I believe if you put in a request pre-cruise, they limit your diet to that menu. I know I don't want to miss out on the occasional bacon or smoked salmon! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have, and as you say everything is pretty tasteless! I agree with newbcruiser1 to just look yourself for the low salt options and/or ask your waiter. Have a great cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On my last cruise, I spoke to the head waiter (Maitre'D?) and he came by every evening at dinner time with the following day's menu and took my order for the next day. He suggested which items can be made with low salt or no salt and which items to stay away from. Soups were almost tasteless but other than that, everything was fine. The one hit was the low sodium bread/rolls. Great flavor. Be careful when ordering off the regular menu. Foods that you assume are low sodium, aren't.

To keep salt content low when not having to a medical based salt free diet and still eat off the main menu i ask for no sauce or sauce on the side. This holds true for salad dressing . Sauces and Salad dressings are both high in salt content. I prefer to have the sauce and salad dressing on the side and than dip my fork into it before placing food onto it which better controls salt intake while still having flavorful food. Do not put food onto fork first and than dip into the sauce/salad dressing as that defeats the whole purpose as the food than gets drench.

Avoid soups, tomato juice , cheese, prepared meats which also includes taco meat, smoked salmon, the smoked salmon/trout appetizer often served on RCCL, shrimp, lobster, escargot because they're soaking in butter , pasta dishes as all have a high salt content or at least eat these items in moderation. Most breads do not have a high salt content but would avoid any that have cheese and or salt on top.

If you're on a ship that has an egg station in the buffet butter is the norm used for cooking the eyes. Requested the pan to be wipe out and that your eyes be cooked in oil.

Lemon juice is a natural dialectic. I bring a little squeeze bottle for my water and tea. I don't request lemon wedges as if you ever read about how most places don't wash such items and how they're handled you'd never ask for a lemon wedge again.

DH has requested low sodium meals for several years now. We make the request when we book the cruise. You can call RC and ask them to put the info in your reservation.

At dinner the head waiter bring the next night's menu for him to order hia meal. He says the meals are very good.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Forums mobile app

Are you drinking the ships water? Many people have reported that switching to bottled water greatly reduces the swelling that they experience.

Yep. I'm one of the people who has the massive swelling problem when drinking ship water, but don't when I have spring water like Evian from the water package or the less fancy spring water included in beverage packages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why are people swelling from the ships water? Does anyone have more info or pictures of the food from the low salt menu? My parent's are joining us on the freedom in January and he has to limit salt due to a heart issue.

Thanks for the info!

I don't think anyone has any idea why people are swelling from ship water. I drank a ton of it and didn't swell, and I assumed that people were swelling from overeating, too much salt or alcohol, but several people have sworn testing this theory and that when all other things are equal, changing the water they drink makes the swelling go away, so there may be something to that for some people. Maybe the ship adds nutrients to the water and are putting more sodium in it than the bottled water or something. It doesn't happen to me so maybe my body needs the extra salt; I do work out a lot while on board so maybe the added salt replaces all my salty sweat or something.

Edited by ColoradoGurl

Why are people swelling from the ships water? Does anyone have more info or pictures of the food from the low salt menu? My parent's are joining us on the freedom in January and he has to limit salt due to a heart issue.

Thanks for the info!

I have high blood pressure and try to follow a low sodium diet at home. I've also had problems with ankle swelling and fluid retention while cruising. In the past, I've been reluctant to request the low sodium diet while cruising because I was afraid that the food would be bland and boring. For my last three cruises, I have requested "special meals (low sodium)" pre-cruise when I made my reservation. I've been very happy with my meals and will continue to choose the low sodium option. I also speak to my waiter and Maitre'D on the first night. As others have mentioned, each night they will show you the regular menu for the following evening and take your order. There is not a separate low sodium menu. I have not bothered to speak to a waiter in the windjammer or main dining room about a low sodium diet for breakfast or lunch, but just avoid things that I know are high sodium for those meals.

Although everybody's medical situation is different, from what I've read about fluid retention while cruising, it's not necessarily just from drinking the ship's water. I think that it's a combination of heat and humidity in the Caribbean, salt in the food, alcohol, and not drinking enough water. Flying can also contribute to swelling.

Edited by marys350

For me, I don't believe it's the water! I think it's a combination of the heat, the high level of salt in the food (I don't add salt to anything at home), and the increase in walking around on the large ships.

I try to avoid too much of things I know are salty like bacon, smoked salmon, etc, and wing the rest! :)

I also think it has something to do with being at sea. If you look around, anything not washed down has a glaze of salt on it. It is in the air. And you breathe it in. I drink lots of water to help wash it out.

I have high blood pressure and cruising on Dec 3rd. Is the low-sodium menu the same menu? Do they just make dishes low sodium or do you get new menu? Not sure whether to request it a head of time on preferences.

There is no separate low sodium menu. You order from the regular menu and they make the dishes low sodium for you. It has worked well for me to request low sodium diet pre-cruise under preferences and then speak to my waiter on the first night.

There is no separate low sodium menu. You order from the regular menu and they make the dishes low sodium for you. It has worked well for me to request low sodium diet pre-cruise under preferences and then speak to my waiter on the first night.

Thank you for the information! Are we able to still order more then one is entree? For example if they have a filet and a yummy seafood entree!