MDR question

iwanabescrapn

So, I was looking at the dress code for the main dining room and a little confused. Can you wear tennis shoes in there? Can you wear shorts as long as they are not basketball ones? Do guys have to have a collar shirt? Is there a menu for kids?

Thanks!

Kristy

So, I was looking at the dress code for the main dining room and a little confused. Can you wear tennis shoes in there? Can you wear shorts as long as they are not basketball ones? Do guys have to have a collar shirt? Is there a menu for kids?

Thanks!

Kristy

Hi, Kristy!

It's helpful if you tell us which line you are cruising.

Looking at some of your posts, it looks as though you are going on Carnival. On cruise casual nights, tennis shoes and "dress" shorts (read: not athletic) are appropriate. Teeshirts are considered prohibited, but generally a polo shirt works great for guys (although you'll see all sorts of shirts, just not wife-beaters).

There is a kids menu, although most kids also enjoy ordering off of the adult menu and visa versa :)

Edited by Schoifmom

Hi, Kristy!

It's helpful if you tell us which line you are cruising.

Looking at some of your posts, it looks as though you are going on Carnival. On cruise casual nights, tennis shoes and "dress" shorts (read: not athletic) are appropriate. Teeshirts are considered prohibited, but generally a polo shirt works great for guys (although you'll see all sorts of shirts, just not wife-beaters)e.

There is a kids menu, although most kids also enjoy ordering off of the adult menu and visa versa :)

I am cruising on Carnival......sorry about that! Thanks!

Kristy

Main Dining Room(s)

Following is the dress code in the Main Dining Room(s) for both men and women and pertains to children as well:

Cruise Casual Dress Code

Men: sport slacks, khakis, Jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long) and collared polo shirts

Women: summer dresses, casual skirts, pants, capris, dress shorts, Jeans (no cut-offs) blouses and tops

Not permitted: Cut-off Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, tee-shirts, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Cruise Elegant Dress Code

Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo

Women: Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown

Not permitted: Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Thanks!

Kristy

I assume that this is a question specific to one cruise line, so ...

1) Please name the cruise line, and

2) You might want to ask this question on that cruise line's forum.

I am also new to cruising on Carnival. Are open toed sandals allowed? I don't have much by way of footwear, usually wear flip flops in the summer and I don't want to buy new sandals if I don't need to. Similar to this, but open toe.

41300pkK1mL._AC_UL260_SR200,260_.jpg

I am also new to cruising on Carnival. Are open toed sandals allowed? I don't have much by way of footwear, usually wear flip flops in the summer and I don't want to buy new sandals if I don't need to. Similar to this, but open toe.

41300pkK1mL._AC_UL260_SR200,260_.jpg

You're fine. The only ones that they specifically state are unacceptable are flip-flop (and by that they mean the rubber ones you would wear to the pool).

Thanks!

Kristy

Depends on the cruise line.

No premium or luxury line would allow it and I'm betting the higher end mass market lines would do the same.

Sadly, some of the bottom tier lines seem to cater to the least common denominator on many fronts. But, I'm betting that even Carnival would have real problems with someone in shorts, sneakers and a tee shirt at dinner.

Think about it? Are you going camping or out to dinner?

I asked to see a childrens menu on Carnival and they told me they didn't have one. They asked me what I was looking for and then brought it to me. It was just cookies. I already know about the banana split.

It's been several years (2002) since we've gone on Carnival, but there was a children's menu (in a coloring booklet that the little ones, and some adults with them, can work on while waiting for the food). the usual, hot dogs, mac and cheese, everything with a cutesy nautical title. As stated above, on most cruise lines, kids are allowed to order off of the adults menu and adults can order off the kids menu (and often do).

for the OP, you should go on the Carnival website and read the FAQs -- lots of info for you about your cruise and your ship.

for the OP' date=' you should go on the Carnival website and read the FAQs -- lots of info for you about your cruise and your ship.[/quote']

I have been ALL OVER these boards the last few weeks and have found it informing but overwhelming. The couple of questions I have asked is because I didn't feel like I got a complete clear answer and where better to ask but on a board of people who have cruised a LOT.

Thanks to everyone for all the great information.

Kristy

I have been ALL OVER these boards the last few weeks and have found it informing but overwhelming.

The couple of questions I have asked is because I didn't feel like I got a complete clear answer and where better to ask but on a board of people who have cruised a LOT.

Kristy

I have been all over these boards for years.

It's still overwhelming.:)

...but it's still fun.;)

Edited by $hip$hape

I have been ALL OVER these boards the last few weeks and have found it informing but overwhelming. The couple of questions I have asked is because I didn't feel like I got a complete clear answer and where better to ask but on a board of people who have cruised a LOT.

Kristy

You came to the right place to find answers. Most first time cruisers feel overwhelmed. Once in awhile, experienced cruisers do, too. :D

Sometimes well-meaning people offer an answer that seems rude. More often than not it is unintentional. Go ahead and post all the questions you have. Most people are very helpful and will answer them.

Have a wonderful cruise!

You came to the right place to find answers. Most first time cruisers feel overwhelmed. Once in awhile, experienced cruisers do, too. :D

Sometimes well-meaning people offer an answer that seems rude. More often than not it is unintentional. Go ahead and post all the questions you have. Most people are very helpful and will answer them.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Thanks for that!

I do have another question that I haven't seen asked yet. If on the Carnival site where our cruise documents are it says the check in at the port is from 12:30pm-3pm. Do you typically go before 12:30 or right at 12:30? I'm used to getting to places early (my husband is retired military and if we are not 15 minutes early we are late) We did not get the Faster to Fun either. Thanks!

Thanks for that!

I do have another question that I haven't seen asked yet. If on the Carnival site where our cruise documents are it says the check in at the port is from 12:30pm-3pm. Do you typically go before 12:30 or right at 12:30? I'm used to getting to places early (my husband is retired military and if we are not 15 minutes early we are late) We did not get the Faster to Fun either. Thanks!

With Carnival, it really depends on the port. They are rolling out staggered check-in at multiple ports. If you have not been asked to choose a check-in time, then you are not at one of those ports.

Also, the answer depends on how patient you are and how well you wait. The ships will usually begin boarding between 11 and 1 (this is a total generalization). Check-in begins prior to that. You will be assigned a boarding group based on when you check-in. The earlier you check in, the earlier your boarding group number.

I am early arriver and will usually get to port around 10-10:30. Some people like to show up around 1-2 and find that the lines are shorter and the wait less.

Remember, you won't be able to get into your room until 1:30.

With Carnival, it really depends on the port. They are rolling out staggered check-in at multiple ports. If you have not been asked to choose a check-in time, then you are not at one of those ports.

Also, the answer depends on how patient you are and how well you wait. The ships will usually begin boarding between 11 and 1 (this is a total generalization). Check-in begins prior to that. You will be assigned a boarding group based on when you check-in. The earlier you check in, the earlier your boarding group number.

I am early arriver and will usually get to port around 10-10:30. Some people like to show up around 1-2 and find that the lines are shorter and the wait less.

Remember, you won't be able to get into your room until 1:30.

Okay, just trying to make sure I understand this. So we are leaving from Port Canaveral and I haven't seen anything with picking a time. On my boarding passes it says Embarkation 12:30-3pm. Does that mean the ship won't start boarding until 12:30? We can't start to check in until 12:30? OR.....do they always start boarding earlier then the time listed? I'm not worried about getting in our rooms as we will have bathing suits in our carry on.

Thanks!

Kristy

Have a wonderful cruise!

If you are referring to me, I was trying to be helpful with a good source of info -- I always check out the cruise line's website while waiting for my next sailing date even if I'm repeating a ship. Usually I find a lot of new details. If there's still some questions, I might ask here or on another cruise line forum site to get clarification, but sometimes there's a lot of contradictory posts, too. I also google each of the ports we're going to for additional info as well as borrow a guidebook from the public library. All those sources help us know what's new with the ship and gives ideas for port day activities.

If you are referring to me' date=' I was trying to be helpful with a good source of info -- I always check out the cruise line's website while waiting for my next sailing date even if I'm repeating a ship. Usually I find a lot of new details. If there's still some questions, I might ask here or on another cruise line forum site to get clarification, but sometimes there's a lot of contradictory posts, too. I also google each of the ports we're going to for additional info as well as borrow a guidebook from the public library. All those sources help us know what's new with the ship and gives ideas for port day activities.[/quote']

I wasn't referring to anyone in particular, but simply attempting to reassure the OP that reliable information may be found on this site. Speaking from my own experience, most people go out of their way to be helpful when providing facts. And, most people are courteous as well. Just my opinion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Forums mobile app

Edited by JimAOk1945

Okay, just trying to make sure I understand this. So we are leaving from Port Canaveral and I haven't seen anything with picking a time. On my boarding passes it says Embarkation 12:30-3pm. Does that mean the ship won't start boarding until 12:30? We can't start to check in until 12:30? OR.....do they always start boarding earlier then the time listed? I'm not worried about getting in our rooms as we will have bathing suits in our carry on.

Thanks!

Kristy

Kristy -- Don't confuse check-in with boarding time. You can check-in whenever the port opens for business. You will have to wait until the ship is emptied and cleared for boarding by the powers that be. That is normally between 11:30 and 1:00 or so.

With Carnival, when you check-in you are assigned a boarding group number. The earlier you check in, the lower the number. Once priority groups have boarding, they will begin calling for general boarding by boarding group number.

Kristy -- Don't confuse check-in with boarding time. You can check-in whenever the port opens for business. You will have to wait until the ship is emptied and cleared for boarding by the powers that be. That is normally between 11:30 and 1:00 or so.

With Carnival, when you check-in you are assigned a boarding group number. The earlier you check in, the lower the number. Once priority groups have boarding, they will begin calling for general boarding by boarding group number.

Okay...that helps a lot....but how do I find out what time the port opens?

Thank you!

Kristy

So, I was looking at the dress code for the main dining room and a little confused.

Can you wear tennis shoes in there? Can you wear shorts as long as they are not basketball ones? Do guys have to have a collar shirt? Is there a menu for kids?

Thanks!

Kristy

I believe, before this thread was shanghaied, it was about dress code.:)

I know, most pax want to stuff themselves.

But, go to the restaurants with an appetite;

the food will taste so much more wonderful!