Tips to make embarkation a breeze...

So I'm seeking tips from all you veterans out there...what are your best tips to speed up and make embarkation as enjoyable as possible? We've got our day bags packed with swim suits and a change of clothes as well as all our important items and documents. What are some of your best tips? We're embarking on Port Canaveral on the Majesty.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So I'm seeking tips from all you veterans out there...what are your best tips to speed up and make embarkation as enjoyable as possible? We've got our day bags packed with swim suits and a change of clothes as well as all our important items and documents. What are some of your best tips? We're embarking on Port Canaveral on the Majesty.

Don't show up for check-in during peak time. Try to be early-before boarding starts which is what we do. Embarkation can be stressful so just go with the flow. You'll get onboard.

Here's what we do:

- While you're still at your night-before hotel, get your bags ready. That is, do your double-checking, close 'em up with cable ties, and attach your ID tags. This means that when you pull up to the terminal, your family's ready to jump out of the car -- you won't hold up the line while you discuss whether the blue tote bag is supposed to go on the ship or stay in the car.

- If you're driving and leaving your car at your pre-cruise hotel (a good financial choice), have Dad drive the family to the terminal ... where Mom and the kids jump out and manage all the luggage. Have Dad return the car to the hotel and park it. Since he's one person alone, he will be able to jump on the next shuttle, bypassing families who are trying to catch a ride with all their luggage. When Dad arrives back at the terminal, he can join the family, who will have had time to process the bags. If the line moves too quickly, Mom can allow people to pass her so that Dad has more time to catch up.

- Before you leave home, gather everyone's identification and cruise tickets into ONE BAG. Double check, then double check again. And put one adult in charge of these items.

- We drive, so we make a point to gas up the car the night before. No, this doesn't help us board any faster ... but it means that when we disembark, we are ready to hit the freeway towards home ... without any delays.

- Get to the port early. This means you'll spend some time waiting before they allow the earliest cruisers to board, but it means you start your vacation earlier ... and you have an hour or two with an essentially empty ship.

- What we like to do when we board: Go to the tip-top of the ship, then walk the whole ship -- before it's busy -- and see everything. Most people rush straight to the buffet for lunch, but we so enjoy that first walk ... even if it's a ship we've sailed before.

We're flying in the morning of embarkation (I know risky) but we will arriving around 8:30 am and heading to the port early.

Flying into Orlando? From where and what time of year? All that can impact arrival. Once you get your luggage, it will take about 1 hour to get to PC so you should be arriving by 10-1030 if your fight is on time which is perfect. How are you getting to PC? Returning a rental car will add some time, but shouldn't be much.

Edited by BND

That will work providing there are no airline delays. As mentioned, I gather all our documents and Pass Ports etc and have in one location, I also pack min of 3 days worth of clothes in my carry on of day & evening clothes. pack what everyone wishes with them upon boarding since your checked bags may not arrive until early afternoon or later. have a wonderful trip.

Into Orlando from Newark NJ the end of November. We've taken this flight dozens of times and gotten into Orlando early when we go to Disney. We have transfers through RC to the port.

Okay. Once you arrive in Orlando, you might have to wait for other flights to fill the transfer so there's no way of knowing what time you will actually get to the port.

I never pack clothes in my carryon. DH and I crosspack our luggage and we usually either drive or take Amtrak.

Edited by BND

The best advice is to just be patient. As one poster said, "go with the flow". There can be lines and there is nothing you can do about it. Just remember you are going on a cruise and need to always find something positive to think about. And, most of all keep your sense of humor.

Enjoy your cruise!

I WEAR my swimsuit under my clothes....that way, I don't have to find someplace to change! Just take off shorts and shirt! EASY!.

It's like checking into a hotel...don't get there before they start boarding...that's KEY! No sense in waiting outside for 45 mins! Get there around 11:30...boarding will have begun, and you'll get in line and check in..and board...easy!

Have your boarding pass and ID "in hand" before you get to the terminal door. You will have to show this as soon as you get inside, before you go through security. (and you will show it again upstairs to check-in).

With all the people trying to get into the terminal it really does cause a big bottle neck trying to move around people who are standing there going through their bags to dig this stuff out.

Have a wonderful cruise!!!

I've started doing this and I prefer it so much more. I get on board, drop off my bags and go explore the ship.

Agree. We also like to arrive around 12:30 because there's no line. We check-in, walk right onto the ship, and find our room. That gives us plenty of time to explore the ship and grab a sandwich. Our bags have always arrived by the time we get back to the room.

Have your boarding pass and ID "in hand" before you get to the terminal door. You will have to show this as soon as you get inside, before you go through security. (and you will show it again upstairs to check-in).

With all the people trying to get into the terminal it really does cause a big bottle neck trying to move around people who are standing there going through their bags to dig this stuff out.

Have a wonderful cruise!!!

I stick my boarding pass in my passport and the passport in a pocket with a zipper. We need it close at hand, because they check them just inside the door.

Have your luggage tags readily available so that when you arrive at the airport in Orlando you can put them on whatever bags you plan to check at the port as soon as you pull them off the baggage carousel.

I just used the RCCL transfer service for the first time a few weeks ago. Once I checked in for the transfers at the airport and gave them my bags I didn't see them again until they arrived at my cabin. I was sailing out of Seattle, so it wouldn't hurt to double check when you arrive to make sure they handle it the same way in Orlando.

Here's what we do:

- While you're still at your night-before hotel, get your bags ready. That is, do your double-checking, close 'em up with cable ties, and attach your ID tags. This means that when you pull up to the terminal, your family's ready to jump out of the car -- you won't hold up the line while you discuss whether the blue tote bag is supposed to go on the ship or stay in the car.

- If you're driving and leaving your car at your pre-cruise hotel (a good financial choice), have Dad drive the family to the terminal ... where Mom and the kids jump out and manage all the luggage. Have Dad return the car to the hotel and park it. Since he's one person alone, he will be able to jump on the next shuttle, bypassing families who are trying to catch a ride with all their luggage. When Dad arrives back at the terminal, he can join the family, who will have had time to process the bags. If the line moves too quickly, Mom can allow people to pass her so that Dad has more time to catch up.

- Before you leave home, gather everyone's identification and cruise tickets into ONE BAG. Double check, then double check again. And put one adult in charge of these items.

- We drive, so we make a point to gas up the car the night before. No, this doesn't help us board any faster ... but it means that when we disembark, we are ready to hit the freeway towards home ... without any delays.

- Get to the port early. This means you'll spend some time waiting before they allow the earliest cruisers to board, but it means you start your vacation earlier ... and you have an hour or two with an essentially empty ship.

- What we like to do when we board: Go to the tip-top of the ship, then walk the whole ship -- before it's busy -- and see everything. Most people rush straight to the buffet for lunch, but we so enjoy that first walk ... even if it's a ship we've sailed before.

This is great advice. Some of it we already do, but not all of it!

• 8 months later...
Don't show up for check-in during peak time. Try to be early-before boarding starts which is what we do. Embarkation can be stressful so just go with the flow. You'll get onboard.

So, what is the peak time?