The dining "experience" with Select

Caraec

We are currently booked with Select Dining for our 25th anniversary cruise. I do like the idea of being able to eat whenever we choose, but I have always liked having table mates and getting to know our servers. Do you lose part of your overall dining experience with Select, or have you found it to be just as satisfactory as traditional dining?

We are currently booked with Select Dining for our 25th anniversary cruise. I do like the idea of being able to eat whenever we choose, but I have always liked having table mates and getting to know our servers. Do you lose part of your overall dining experience with Select, or have you found it to be just as satisfactory as traditional dining?

Subscribing to this thread, because we are in the same situation and feel the same way. I'm looking forward to responses!

The beauty of select dining is that you can choose what time you dine and how many people you wish to dine with. You may choose to dine at the same time every night if so not an issue. If you find a station with waiters you would like to have all the time then request that station. We choose to have a table for two but in doing that the tables for two are about 6 inches apart and one can interact with tables on either side if you wish making it a table of six or sometimes 8 or if you want to be private it can just be a table for two. Select dining gives one a great deal of flexibility. More importantly if you choose at the last moment not to eat in the MDR you are not inconveniencing anyone. If on a particular night after dining for example as a couple you wish to sit at a large table then request such from the restaurant hostess

We absolutely love select dining- it gives you so much more flexibility- we find we often end up sitting next to the same people many nights even though we always go for a table for 2 - it also means you are not stuck at a table with an annoying table mate every night if you have ever had that experience!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Anniebee is right, check out the other thread. From my experience, Select is not "Anytime" dining. We were told every night we went there, "You should have made a reservation". Reservation to me does not mean anytime. The waiters seem stressed out and had none of fun banter and personal interaction you get with traditional dining. Also the drink service was nonexistent. Hopefully you will have the experience you are looking for.

We also love Select dining for its flexibility. Last year, on Constellation, we were scheduled to go through the straits of Messina at about nine o'clock, then drop off the pilot.

We were finishing an apero at the Martini bar just before eight o'clock and debating when we would go in for dinner when we realised that we were approaching the straits much earlier than planned. We delayed going for dinner to marvel at the closeness of both sides of the ship and thoroughly enjoyed the spectacle.

like the idea of being able to eat whenever we choose, ?

this never worked for us

we found there was never a table available WHEN WE CHOSE

if we tried to make a reservation for a table we were offered 6-6:30 or 8-830

which is basically the same times as set dining...if we made no reservation and just arrived ... we waited ... and waited

we have not tried this in a while ...so maybe they have made some changes

good luck

We did early fixed dining for our first cruises and had great table mates. However, after two cruises where the tablemates didn't work out so well (on one cruise half the table never showed up and four persons were always half an hour late), we switched to select dining. That has worked out well, we generally dine at a table for 8, or bring a couple or small group with us from the elite happy hour.

Another good reason for select is that if we dined at 6, we only had an hour for happy hour.

We have done both, and do think there is a trade off. With Select, you get flexibility although sometimes you have to wait for a table (this seems to vary from cruise to cruise, and also on what time you choose to eat.) You can ask to be seated in an area with waiters you like, but this may increase your wait. You can also ask to be seated at a large table with other diners, but it is unlikely you will see them again so you don't develop relationships as you do in Traditional. If this is important to you, you won't have it in Select. For us, the flexibility is most important at this point in our cruising lives, and we know we won't be stuck with poor waiters or boring table mates. Not everyone feels the same, which is why Traditional is still offered.

We often waited 10 minutes on Constellation and about the same on Solstice last year. It was just enough time to order a glass of wine before the pager went off. Often we went straight through if we wanted to share.

It may depend on how much space is allocated to Select dining, and it is getting more popular...

We have never had to wait more than five minutes for a table on select.

We normally dine between 6:30 and 7. From posts that have complained about having to wait, most seemed to have showed up to dine at 7:30.

Perhaps that is the reason we never had to wait long?

We are late eaters - So I'm wondering if the wait is less if you eat at 8:30 or 9?

We love traditional dining - but our last few experiences have been NOT so positive (No one showing up, tablemates that didn't talk, tablemates that wanted to "swing":eek: etc.)

However, we have some wonderful friends that we still keep in contact with from our first cruise - which is why I am uncertain about the whole select dining experience. Does anyone know if we can change back to traditional if we feel that Select is not enjoyable for us?

We've done 6 two week cruises on Eclipse over the last few years, all in Select. Sometimes as a party of 4, sometimes just the two of us. On all cruises, apart from the most recent, it's work great, never waited whether we reserved or not and most times we would end up being seated in the same area so got to know the people at the tables around us and the waiters. Last cruise we had reserved each night but they were overwhelmed. You only had to look around the Martini Bar to see the numerous people who were waiting with buzzers. There appeared to be no difference whether people had booked or not. Partly it seemed the lady on the door didn't appear to be on top of things. Hopefully things will be better when we are back onboard next year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We've done 6 two week cruises on Eclipse over the last few years, all in Select. Sometimes as a party of 4, sometimes just the two of us. On all cruises, apart from the most recent, it's work great, never waited whether we reserved or not and most times we would end up being seated in the same area so got to know the people at the tables around us and the waiters. Last cruise we had reserved each night but they were overwhelmed. You only had to look around the Martini Bar to see the numerous people who were waiting with buzzers. There appeared to be no difference whether people had booked or not. Partly it seemed the lady on the door didn't appear to be on top of things. Hopefully things will be better when we are back onboard next year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We've also used Select dining on many of our cruises and found it worked very successfully. However we are just back from a trip on the Summit and Select dining was a total mess with queues even though we had pre- booked eating times for every night before we boarded the ship.

We had various explanations from staff including that portside had made too many bookings and Americans like to eat early.

From our perception it seemed a management problem- communication between the people on the front desk and the dining room just didn't seem to be working as the woman at the front desk had no idea which tables were available and her ear piece wasn't functioning. Often when we got into the dining room there were lots of empty tables with waiters ready to serve food.

One of the very efficient waiters commented that it would be more successful if they were allowed to take over the seating of the diners.

We've also used Select dining on many of our cruises and found it worked very successfully. However we are just back from a trip on the Summit and Select dining was a total mess with queues even though we had pre- booked eating times for every night before we boarded the ship.

We had various explanations from staff including that portside had made too many bookings and Americans like to eat early.

From our perception it seemed a management problem- communication between the people on the front desk and the dining room just didn't seem to be working as the woman at the front desk had no idea which tables were available and her ear piece wasn't functioning. Often when we got into the dining room there were lots of empty tables with waiters ready to serve food.

One of the very efficient waiters commented that it would be more successful if they were allowed to take over the seating of the diners.

We have found that on South American and European cruises that more passengers want to eat late. Since the latest that we ever eat is about 7pm, we have never had a problem in select.

However, we have some wonderful friends that we still keep in contact with from our first cruise - which is why I am uncertain about the whole select dining experience. Does anyone know if we can change back to traditional if we feel that Select is not enjoyable for us?

We had select dining on our July cruise on Reflection, even although we asked to share we were still allocated a table for two. The first night we waited about 10-15 mins. the next night it was 45 mins. after which we asked to see the maitre'd who agreed it was unacceptable and allowed us change us to second sitting

Sent from my iPad using Forumswe had select

Edited by tartantiara

We had select dining on our July cruise on Reflection, even although we asked to share we were still allocated a table for two. The first night we waited about 10-15 mins. the next night it was 45 mins. after which we asked to see the maitre'd who agreed it was unacceptable and allowed us change us to second sitting t

Thanks for the info! This is good to know!

We never had to wait at all for a table for select dining. It is very much a hit and miss thing IMO. We were fortunate. A 45 minute wait for a table can be easily explained especially if one doesn't have a booking. On the Solstice bookings were taken until 6.15 and then after 8.30. The in between times was pot luck, first up best dressed. That is a benefit / fault of select dining. On occasion we dined early because we wanted an early show other nights we wanted a leisurely dinner and took longer to eat our meal. If one wants a definitive time every night then traditional 6.00pm and 8.30 dining times are for you. I'll stick to taking pot luck with select dining

Thank you all for your replies. Right now, Select is all that is available for my Dec. 2017 (!) cruise. I am waitlisted for early seating. I think I will keep my waitlist request for right now.

Keep calling. Sometimes when you book way ahead that's all that's available, but it should open up. That's happened to us several times. (We prefer traditional dining late) If we want to eat earlier, we book specialty or, if that's unavailable (which has never occurred) buffet. We booked our Dec. 2016 cruise over a year ahead, got late dining, then a few days later our friends decided to join us. They were waitlisted for late dining, then when we both were considering cancelling, they magically got confirmed late dining.