Curious About Your Experience With Credit Card Trip Cancellation

Like many of you, I have a credit card which provide trip cancellation protection. What I'm wondering about is what your experience was if you needed to file a claim. Did it take a long time? Was it fairly painless. Obviously, it needs to be within the parameters set forth by the card, but trying to understand the process should I need to use the benefit for myself. Thanks.

Like many of you, I have a credit card which provide trip cancellation protection. What I'm wondering about is what your experience was if you needed to file a claim. Did it take a long time? Was it fairly painless. Obviously, it needs to be within the parameters set forth by the card, but trying to understand the process should I need to use the benefit for myself. Thanks.

haven't used the trip cancellation but I have used other insurance protection on the card (90 day replacement guarantee). It was very painless. They e'd the claim form and I completed it and sent it back with proof of purchase. Funds were received in less than 2 weeks.

No problem whatsoever. Submitted the documentation, paid out in full to our complete satisfaction within three weeks or so. As I recall the claim was actually handled and approved by a third party adjuster contracted by Visa.

Edited by iancal

We have had to cancel a cruise for medical reasons. At first we experienced delays, but once the paperwork was in order for the banks insurance broker, it was paid quickly and fairly. We have had to cancel another cruise where we had changed our minds and Hal was quick to cancel and expedite the credit card credit. We were very happy with the results in both cases.

It was a cruise. A cruise with my father. He could no longer go. I remediated the loss to a certain extent.

Princess kindly switched his name to my spouse's name for a $25 fee. We had intended to leave from Seattle and had a non refundable ticket booked. Plus there was the airfare. I negotiated some credit from AA so that reduced the potential claim. As I recall, Visa picked up the $25 Princess change fee, the non refundable hotel charge, and the difference between both of our airline fares from SEA and what AA credited us towards two replacement return tickets from Calgary instead of Seattle.

The one thing that surprised/pleased us was the Princess response. We were inside the final payment window at the time of the cancellation. I expected a negative response, ie we would have to pay a full fare for DW or walk from the entire cruise. Quite the contrary. After explaining the situation the rep offered to substitute DW's name for my father's for a small admin fee. Great customer service and a positive response from the first person we spoke with.

It was a little complicated however it would have been very clear to the insurance adjuster that we were able to reduce the claim substantially from what it could have been if we had simply cancelled the entire trip.

I sent them a written explanation and attached the documentation. We did not get a phone call or any written follow up other than a letter approving the claim with an enclosed cheque.

Edited by iancal