How is the wifi on the Diamond?

Cruizerguy

Has anybody recently been on the Diamond Princess that can comment on how good/bad the wifi service is?

Also are there any packages that you can buy on-board that are better than what you can get by pre-signing up for a package?

Thanks. Walter

Packages on board cost the same as if you purchase them in advance.

The difference is that purchasing them in advance gives you more extra "free" minutes than purchasing them on board the first two days of the voyage. (After two days there are no extra minutes with a package purchase.)

If you do not have an adequate signal in your cabin, try propping your door to the hallway open a little with a trash can. That usually provides a much better signal.

Packages on board cost the same as if you purchase them in advance.

The difference is that purchasing them in advance gives you more extra "free" minutes than purchasing them on board the first two days of the voyage. (After two days there are no extra minutes with a package purchase.)

If you do not have an adequate signal in your cabin, try propping your door to the hallway open a little with a trash can. That usually provides a much better signal.

Being Platinum, if I purchase in advance, will I still be able to get my 'free' minutes once on board?

We were on the Diamond earlier this year, and had an aft cabin. The connection to the wifi itself was pretty good, even on the balcony. The internet connectivity was hit or miss, as is the case on ships with satellite connections. At times when it was really slow, we'd just log off and try again later.

Being Platinum, if I purchase in advance, will I still be able to get my 'free' minutes once on board?

Yes, but if you want more minutes than the "free" ones, I suggest you wait until you sign on the first time for your "free" minutes. At that time (and that time only) it will give you the opportunity to purchase more minutes at a favorable rate. No bonus minutes with that, but probably more cost effective. I thing the offer was 100 more minutes for 25 cents/minute.

And of course if both passengers in the cabin are Platinum, they each get the "free" minutes and the opportunity to purchase more when first signing on.

• 2 months later...

There are so many factors that affect the wifi onboard. One cruise may be good where the next cruise could be terrible. I would not count on wifi on any Princess ship. If it works great if not not much one can do.

If you need some kind of connectivity to the outside world you may want to have a backup plan. IMO

Wifi isn't currently too bad in Asia right now. Sometimes it's slow but other times very good even in our own cabin. I'm pretty happy with it.

Sorry for the thread drift, but a quick Diamond question please as I'm onboard next month.

Are you currently about to tender into Patong Beach ?

Is that to a temporary floating dock there ?

Thanks.

The Diamond Princess like all Princess ships has WiFi repeaters all over the ship. They are usually mounted on the ceiling in corridors and bars. The closer you are to the repeater the stronger the WiFi signal. However, there are two wireless links affecting the speed at which you connect to the internet, WiFi and the ships satellite link.

When you connect to the ships network via WiFi you can then connect to the local server and view local data and your account details and the speed of delivery of these pages will give you an idea of speed of the WiFi which is usually very good. If you then connect to the internet and view some web pages you will get an idea of how much slower the satellite link is. In fact you could go to a speed test website and see how fast your connection to the internet is.

The dish antenna on the ship used for the internet connection only has a narrow angle of reception so you can imagine the effect the motion of the ship will have on the strength of the signal received and hence the speed of the internet connection via WiFi.

The simple answer to the speed of WiFi on Diamond Princess is, there is no simple answer.

Sorry for the thread drift, but a quick Diamond question please as I'm onboard next month.

Are you currently about to tender into Patong Beach ?

Is that to a temporary floating dock there ?

Thanks.

Yes we are tendering into Patong. Not sure about the floating dock. Will report back later.

Our phi phi excursion got cancelled due to apparent high winds. Pretty annoyed as shorex only advised us after they had closed for the night around 10pm. And not open today. They put on alternative but was not interested in it and they did not offer to discount the price at all as phi phi was quite expensive. We had to cancel by 11pm for refund but I bet some people didn't get the note in time and therefore no refund. Around $300usd for 2.

• 1 month later...