Heading out on the Spirit

lbt43

Well folks, I am leaving out on the Spirit in a week. 10 years ago this year I sailed on her for the first time! Will be interesting to see how I remember it all. I like that ship! Very interesting decor and feel.

I loved the Spirit, sailed in the Singapore Suite (10502) a few years ago. I'm distressed about what they may do to her in dry dock.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on the Spirit in April and they were talking about a major overhaul removing all of the current Chinese influenced decor. Recent posts suggest a shot dry dock,,,, which would imply that her days in the NCL fleet may be getting short.

Yep. Its going to be completely worked over. They are going to give it the breakaway class makeover like they did to the dawn. Kinda sad really.

We were on the Spirit in April and they were talking about a major overhaul removing all of the current Chinese influenced decor. Recent posts suggest a shot dry dock,,,, which would imply that her days in the NCL fleet may be getting short.

We also love this ship. Sailed in July 2009 and again this past February with friends we made the first time around. We had an absolute blast both times. We really do love that ship. Look for Victor at the Cafe Bar near the stairway in the Atrium. He was a fantastic bar waiter. We spent every night there. We wish we could bring him with us on the Breakaway next May.

According to the latest drydock schedule (posted by Cruise Critic) there is "A short dry dock for technical work and upgrades to some public areas" scheduled for 4 days in January. It was supposed to be for Norwegian Edge upgrades, but it looks like that's not happening anymore. I will be on her for the first time in April - am wondering about what some have said about the worn cabins and bathrooms, but looking forward to seeing the ship that many say is beautiful and different.

According to the latest drydock schedule (posted by Cruise Critic) there is "A short dry dock for technical work and upgrades to some public areas" scheduled for 4 days in January. It was supposed to be for Norwegian Edge upgrades, but it looks like that's not happening anymore. I will be on her for the first time in April - am wondering about what some have said about the worn cabins and bathrooms, but looking forward to seeing the ship that many say is beautiful and different.

I'm booked for the cruise following the short dry dock, but I have pasted part of a marketing email I received today from NCL below:

-----------------------------------------

Norwegian Spirit is all set to have the edge - The Norwegian Edge®. In early 2017, this stylish ship will undergo an extensive revitalisation and refurbishment programme and even if you've cruised on her before, she will feel like a brand new ship, thanks to a $400 million fleet-wide investment.

Expect refreshed décor and menus as you savour the 15 dining options, a new take on some of her 12 contrasting bars and lounges, fun daytime activities and wow-worthy evening entertainment, including Broadway-style shows in the Stardust Theatre.

----------------------------------

I assume that NCL are using out of date information or maybe another dry dock or itinerary changes? I will be following Cruise Critic to get the facts. The NCL website refers to the Indian/Bollywood inspired décor, definitely not the oriental décor we are expecting on our return to the Spirit.

I'm booked for the cruise following the short dry dock, but I have pasted part of a marketing email I received today from NCL below:

Norwegian Spirit is all set to have the edge - The Norwegian Edge®. In early 2017, this stylish ship will undergo an extensive revitalisation and refurbishment programme and even if you've cruised on her before, she will feel like a brand new ship, thanks to a $400 million fleet-wide investment.

Expect refreshed décor and menus as you savour the 15 dining options, a new take on some of her 12 contrasting bars and lounges, fun daytime activities and wow-worthy evening entertainment, including Broadway-style shows in the Stardust Theatre.

I assume that NCL are using out of date information or maybe another dry dock or itinerary changes? I will be following Cruise Critic to get the facts. The NCL website refers to the Indian/Bollywood inspired décor, definitely not the oriental décor we are expecting on our return to the Spirit.

Hmm I wonder if some of this will be done in the short drydock. If not, then when could they possibly do it? All cruises in April are pretty much sold out, (ours is completely sold out) and they have solid bookings on itineraries through spring and summer with no other gaps. I can't imagine they would pull sold out cruises - at least I hope not! Or if they were to do so, they would have by now so that those affected could make other arrangements.

We were in the Singapore Suite as well for a Caribbean cruise out of New Orleans. Talk about classy... I have never felt so spoiled on a cruise. We love the Asian influences of the Spirit and hoped to one day take a 12 day European cruise in that same beautiful suite.

I think that is just part of their on-going marketing message and nothing specific to Spirit. The menus were updated to the new menus early 2016 according to folks that were on after we were on last Dec. with the old menus.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...