Solo cruiser and loyalty program points

franl24fan

As shown in my signature I have primarily sailed on Royal Caribbean. I have reached the highest loyalty program level I can realistically reach. I am now going to be looking at other cruise lines that have different itineraries or lower prices.

I have had a good time on Carnival and have a 4 day cruise booked in November, even with the 100 percent solo surcharge the per day rate was reasonable. But I was surprised that I only receive 4 points, on Royal Caribbean I receive 8 points to reflect the solo surcharge.

Has there been any discussion of Carnival changing their policy?? Is there an email address of Carnival CEO I might at least raise the issue with. That is how we finally got Royal to change.

i've seen the issue raised before and as posted, i believe the answer has always been 'no plans at this time'.

i think it's only fair if you're paying for imaginary pax #2... (i would not agree if they waive the supplement as they have in the past but i haven't seen that for a while)

i've seen email addresses for carnival management posted here and there, but i have no idea where. i bet you could find them if you're really bent on pursuing this

Boy I sure wish we could get double points, if I doubled my solo cruise dates it would be almost instant diamond status. Slowly but surely just chugging my way up the ladder.

I feel ya there! I have only cruised solo and am just getting to platinum on my next cruise. :rolleyes:

Seems as if carnival is missing out on a marketing chance. Wonder what the policy is on princess or ncl.

What is really nice on Royal is that I get double points even if I booked at a sale price at less than double cost. Next year I will have enough points to drop to 150 percent, less if cruise is on sale.

I don't chase points but rather itinerary and price, and of course cruise quality, which so far has resulted in Royal being my first choice. The few Carnival Cruises I've been on were quick cruises out of Port Canaveral on smaller ships, but next month will be the Valor, at decent per day rates. All things being equal I will probably choose Royal first because of the loyalty level perks I get, which are also honored on Celebrity. But I am now open to other lines even with fewer points.

As shown in my signature I have primarily sailed on Royal Caribbean. I have reached the highest loyalty program level I can realistically reach. I am now going to be looking at other cruise lines that have different itineraries or lower prices.

I have had a good time on Carnival and have a 4 day cruise booked in November, even with the 100 percent solo surcharge the per day rate was reasonable. But I was surprised that I only receive 4 points, on Royal Caribbean I receive 8 points to reflect the solo surcharge.

Has there been any discussion of Carnival changing their policy?? Is there an email address of Carnival CEO I might at least raise the issue with. That is how we finally got Royal to change.

The CEO is Arnold W. Donald.

I doubt that he personally reviews the official email address, but it should suit your itended propse. Good lucl.

adonald@carnival.com

Boy I sure wish we could get double points, if I doubled my solo cruise dates it would be almost instant diamond status. Slowly but surely just chugging my way up the ladder.

I agree we pay for 2 should get points for 2. I don't mind paying for 2 seeing that im in a room that holds 2 people, but also feel should get the points for it.

I am frequently a solo on cruises and do love those double points on RCI. I also wish Carnival would change their policy. We are paying double the fare, we should get double the points.

Edited by dacsmom

I'm also a solo cruiser and although I'd like to get double pts I understand why they don't. It is to their advantage to have double occupancy. They make more money on drinks, excursions, steak house etc with 2 ppl in the cabin. They don't want to encourage single occupancy. I just wish they'd charge 1.5x or even 1.75x the fare rather than 2. Doesn't stop me though.

Princess gives double points, NCL does not.

NCL gives double points if you book 9 months in advance.

A few years ago Carnival did give a break for solos charging only 150% for the 1A solos. Have only ever had solo points allocated though.

We were told the other day (onboard the Vista) that a SPECIAL TEAM is looking into the Loyalty programme but still no news.

NCL gives double points if you book 9 months in advance.

A few years ago Carnival did give a break for solos charging only 150% for the 1A solos. Have only ever had solo points allocated though.

We were told the other day (onboard the Vista) that a SPECIAL TEAM is looking into the Loyalty programme but still no news.

NCL giving double points isn't based on booking a cruise as a solo.

Over a year ago John Heald said Carnival was going to do something for solo cruises..still waiting ....

Edited by BuckeyeCruiseGuy

To give you double points, though, would imply the points are based on amount spent, not number of sail days. If that were the case then one could also argue that people who book balconies and suites should get more points than those who book interiors and ocean views.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

This comes up all the time and once again I well say if a solo cruiser should get double points. Then why seeing we mostly book a suite shouldn't we get more points then someone who books an inside room. You choose to sail alone the same as we choose a suite.

I think it's more a comparison between the cruise lines' loyalty programs. On RCI you get double points for paying the single supplement. You also get double points for sailing in a Jr. Suite on up. Triple points are awarded if you sail solo in a suite.

I cruise solo most of the time and, of course, pay the single supplement, but only get points for 1 person. Last year, a friend of mine indicated that he had never cruised and expressed interest but couldn't afford it. I invited him to join me in my cabin since I had already paid for it. He only had to pay the additional tax & fees, etc. He got 4 points and I got 4 points. Had I traveled alone, I would have gotten 4 points. Got me to thinking the same as everyone else. If I am paying for 2, why not get the points for 2? At least the solo traveler gets something for that additional supplement.