Production Shows - Royal Princess, where did they go?

Tanga

We returned from a TA cruise aboard Royal Princess recently. We were greatly disappointed that there was only 1 production show(Princess singers and dancers) for the entire 14 day cruise.

In place, we did have some fabulous singers and entertainers, but I'm just wondering if this is normal for TA cruises? We were on Coral Princess last year and remember at least 4 on a 10 night cruise.

Anyone know what might have happened?

Thanks

We were cruising with you and found that interesting also. Our last TA in April 2015 had multiple excellent production shows. I'm wondering if the absence of one main singer due to hospitalization had something to do with this.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

There is usually 2 shows in addition to the welcome aboard show. It's possible the cast was changing over sometimes during cast changeovers the schedule changes or they may have been switching out a show for a new one. Depending on the show it often gets skipped on a cruise while the cast learns it. Having a singer sick wouldn't cancel the show, another cast member fills in to cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is usually 2 shows in addition to the welcome aboard show. It's possible the cast was changing over sometimes during cast changeovers the schedule changes or they may have been switching out a show for a new one. Depending on the show it often gets skipped on a cruise while the cast learns it. Having a singer sick wouldn't cancel the show, another cast member fills in to cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We heard a rumor there was 3 . Might of meant 3 cruise staff. We missed the 1 production show. We were surprised it was the only one. The entertainment was very good.

We heard a rumor there was 3 . Might of meant 3 cruise staff. We missed the 1 production show. We were surprised it was the only one. The entertainment was very good.

The Cruise Director did say they were down 1 singer on the 1st night, but then went on to say they would have 3 more production shows. We just wondered what happened.

The entertainment was very good, Paul Baker especially. If anyone was in Crooners, late (about 01:00) on the 3rd to last night of the cruise, he treated everyone there with an impromptu performance along with Kory Simon.

Just off the Royal. The magician/comedian was very poor. Had to encourage audience to laugh. Was on a kids birthday party level if that. The Piazza/Vista band Destiny, was the best ever.

I think I have seen that guy on another cruise line. Really uncomfortable!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's too bad. Those shows can be good. I still always go to Motor City and British Invasion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Funny. We only have 7 completed cruises and I'm already tired of both of those shows. I'm looking forward to new stuff when we sail on Emerald next year.

We always end up seeing Soul Music and Fiera.

Soul Music is pretty good but I've seen it several times.

Don't care for Fiera.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Have never yet seen either of those or Magic To Do. Have only seen the same old ones that have apparently been around forever. I guess we will just have to keep cruising in order to see the newer shows. Dang! :D

Funny. We only have 7 completed cruises and I'm already tired of both of those shows. I'm looking forward to new stuff when we sail on Emerald next year.

It's too bad those of us here on the west coast don't get the shows on the Regal/Royal. I imagine some of it has to do with the size/layout of the ships and their theaters. I have seen every show multiple times. The one I can't take anymore is Born to Be Wild (?) The Cole Porter one has also become boring to me. Yes, I know, I lead a pretty charmed life when all I have to complain about is production shows on cruises. :D

We returned from a TA cruise aboard Royal Princess recently. We were greatly disappointed that there was only 1 production show(Princess singers and dancers) for the entire 14 day cruise.

In place, we did have some fabulous singers and entertainers, but I'm just wondering if this is normal for TA cruises? We were on Coral Princess last year and remember at least 4 on a 10 night cruise.

Anyone know what might have happened?

Thanks

Did you comment on the survey? I did. The excuse was that one of the singers had to go home for an appendectomy. I say....understudy? Dry dock...get someone else? The shows were not great!

Did you comment on the survey? I did. The excuse was that one of the singers had to go home for an appendectomy. I say....understudy? Dry dock...get someone else? The shows were not great!

Yes, we commented on the survey, in multiple areas, mainly because of the lack of communication. We were told of the singer being out, but they still did the 1st show with 3 singers and we were told to expect 3 or 4 more production shows.

I agree, that's what understudys are for, but they seemed to abandon that idea rather quickly in lieu of solo performers and relegated the "Princess Singers and Dancers" to 5 or 10 minute performances in the Piazza each night.

I just thought it was an odd approach and was wondering if this was a future direction Princess was considering for evening entertainment.

We were also on the TA, the Cruise Director explained that one of the lead singers needed emergency surgery and had to remain in a hospital in Italy. We were told the production shows require four lead singers, Princess is unable to do the production shows with three singers. Fortunately, Princess was able to secure other talent in place of the production shows. We thought the other shows were pretty good, especially the vocalists. The ventriloquist and comedian were both pretty lame though, and we noted that in our survey.

I just thought it was an odd approach and was wondering if this was a future direction Princess was considering for evening entertainment.

You mean is Princess going to hire singers who will need emergency surgery? Isn't this just an unfortunate accident? Why would you think this is the "direction Princess was considering for evening entertainment?" :rolleyes:

You mean is Princess going to hire singers who will need emergency surgery? Isn't this just an unfortunate accident? Why would you think this is the "direction Princess was considering for evening entertainment?" :rolleyes:

LOL, Seriously???:rolleyes:

Edited by Tanga

We were also on the TA, the Cruise Director explained that one of the lead singers needed emergency surgery and had to remain in a hospital in Italy. We were told the production shows require four lead singers, Princess is unable to do the production shows with three singers. Fortunately, Princess was able to secure other talent in place of the production shows. We thought the other shows were pretty good, especially the vocalists. The ventriloquist and comedian were both pretty lame though, and we noted that in our survey.

We have been told on past cruises that the lead singers have made recording of their songs.

When one is sick, one of the dancers takes the singer's place and just lip-syncs along with the voice track. The Show Must Go On.

Have never yet seen either of those or Magic To Do. Have only seen the same old ones that have apparently been around forever. I guess we will just have to keep cruising in order to see the newer shows. Dang! :D

I think they've already canned Magic To Go.

We have been told on past cruises that the lead singers have made recording of their songs.

When one is sick, one of the dancers takes the singer's place and just lip-syncs along with the voice track. The Show Must Go On.

More often that you realize.

"On the Bayou" on the Coral recently was brilliant.They had a permanent set in the Universe lounge complete with a moving stage at each end.We preferred that venue to the Princess theatre.

That is the best show! Maybe because I've only seen it twice and not 100 times like all the others. :)